Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail to side shift conversion - cutting a hole in the tunnel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Optimusglen
I have just about all of the parts collected to do my swap in my '71. I got the jist of the swap but was looking through other threads as a refresher.

In this one, the topic comes up of cutting a clearance hole in the top of the tunnel.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ion%20%20rookie

IPB Image

IPB Image

A couple people reply and say it's not needed, but one member who had done the swap took a boroscope to his car and saw that there was in fact some interference and that a hole would have been beneficial.

My car is a runner, with fuel hardlines running in the tunnel. I would prefer not to die in a fiery garage incident, like if my fuel line was hit by an angle grinder. So the two options I am weighing are

A: Remove fuel/fuel files and cut the hole.

B: Leave it, do no cutting, and deal with whatever rubbing comes about because no matter what it;'ll be better than the tail shift.

Any thoughts from you guys?
BeatNavy
I never cut out a relief. I don't THINK I have any problems, although getting into first gear is sometimes a little "bitchy" (I think another member described it that way, which I thought was perfect). I always attributed that to something internal to the box or something at the linkage further back. Maybe I'll put a boroscope in mine to check one of these days...

I'd try it first without cutting, personally.
914Toy
No need to cut a hole. Make sure the driver's seat belt bolt does not extend into the tunnel beyond the nut that is welded to the side of the tunnel - the rod gets close to that side of the tunnel. I found mine was not original and was too long, after a lot of hustling with other possibilities mad.gif
mepstein
If 73-76 used the same tunnel as the early cars, there should be no reason for a hole.
Phoenix-MN
I had a clearance problem with my car ('71) I had to cut the support a little to clear the rod

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

1adam12
I have a '72 and recently install the SS fuel lines and side shift rod in the tunnel while my motor/trans is out. I did not need to cut into the tunnel at all.
jcd914
I have done several conversions to side shift and never had a need to cut any holes.

I will have to look closer when I do my 72 here shortly.
Jim
rudedude
Glen,
I've never needed any extra clearance in the 2 I have done
Jule
914 RZ-1
I have a '72 that I converted to side shift and I should have done what Phoenix-MN did; the linkage rubs against the metal and squeaks every time I shift into 1st gear.

rhcb914
I have a 70 which I converted 10 years ago. No problems shifts great with no rubbing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.