Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Remember when Speedsters were worthless?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
Remember when Speedster's were worthless? Hope everyone enjoys my new article on PCA.
https://www.pca.org/news/2018-04-13/barnfin...rline-worthless
napasteve
This picture kills me..... I'm working on a time travel app.

Click to view attachment
Pursang
Continuing the time travel thought, that picture brings up a question. Does anyone remember the name of the Porsche dealer on Stevens Creek Blvd just west of Winchester in San Jose?

Steve
QUOTE(Pursang @ Apr 13 2018, 08:14 AM) *

Continuing the time travel thought, that picture brings up a question. Does anyone remember the name of the Porsche dealer on Stevens Creek Blvd just west of Winchester in San Jose?

confused24.gif
Click to view attachment
Pursang

That's it! Thanks Steve. Looking at Google maps, the Porsche dealer has moved further north on Stevens Creek to Santa Clara. That place they took over was a crafts store back in the old days. The Anderson-Behel place is now an Audi dealer. Google shows a Lexus dealer across the road. That used to be a commercial strip that included a Round Table pizza joint where the local sports car rallys ended.

Been many years since I lived there. We used to go over to Anderson-Behel and drool over the 911. That's where I saw my first 914 in 1970.
Steve
I was fresh out of college in 1986 there. I maxed out a credit card and bought a factory six tank, oil lines and six factory tin over the counter from that dealer. I still have all the receipts. Not too many six conversions back then.
infraredcalvin
Nice, that’s where my 930 was originally sold.
Pursang
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 13 2018, 11:00 PM) *

I was fresh out of college in 1986 there. I maxed out a credit card and bought a factory six tank, oil lines and six factory tin over the counter from that dealer. I still have all the receipts. Not too many six conversions back then.

San Jose State? I went there when it was just SJS, not SJSU. Did a search on Anderson-Behel and the name is till around but as a body shop off of the Bayshore near Intel. What's up with that?
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(napasteve @ Apr 13 2018, 07:40 AM) *

This picture kills me..... I'm working on a time travel app.

Click to view attachment

You have to consider this photo in the context of the day it was made. Looks to be early '60s at best and the used car lot at Jack McAfee's dealership in Burbank CA. Some houses only cost $2,000 in some parts of the country back then...so only the wealthy could afford a car like a speedster that cost that much used. How much is your house today worth (rhetorically) and would you spend anywhere even close to that amount to buy a car today?
Steve
QUOTE(Pursang @ Apr 14 2018, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 13 2018, 11:00 PM) *

San Jose State? I went there when it was just SJS, not SJSU. Did a search on Anderson-Behel and the name is till around but as a body shop off of the Bayshore near Intel. What's up with that?

Heald College R.I.P. They had job placement at Wang Labs R.I.P.
RickS
Used to prowl the AB show room back in HS drooling over the cars. If I had only kept all the brochures I pocketed
Spoke
I wonder what this car (my car) would go for now. This ad was 9 pages deep on Pelican in 2009 when I called Bill.

Click to view attachment

From last month:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.