Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: QUICK TOP END JOB
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 4 Unleashed
If, anything can go wrong, it will, and it did. smash.gif

Originally, I was going to do a rering, well when I tore the motor down to the cylinders, I couldn't stop there, so I split the case. Everything looked really good, so I sent the crank out to be polished, mains checked out ok, the rods, 1 came out at .0015" under the other 3, if it had just been a .001" under the other's, I would of let it go, so I had the rod journals cut .010" under.

The Cam and lifters, looked really good, So I am going back up on the valve spring pressure, so that means that strait cut gears, have to be used with the heavier springs.

Pistons, I swaped out, I switched the BME's for a set of CP's. The CP's piston and pin, were 122g lighter apiece than the BME.

The cylinders, with a light honeing, a very light honeing, cleaned up great, the guy who did the honeing, was surprised at how little honeing it took to clean them up, especially, after I told him the miles, that were on them.
Also, I had the top of the cylinders cut for sealing wire.

The bottom end went back together, everything was perfect, except for the end play, but it was only a .001 more than what it was previously, and well with in specs.

Here's a pic
Type 4 Unleashed
Another: Bore on these are 105.7mm (4.1615") .008" piston to cylinder wall clearance w00t.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
Copper Gasket, that had been torqued, shows where the sealing wire seals. smash.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
Heads: lol2.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
Head: lol2.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
Springs: 1.250" small block chevy springs, Installed Heigth 1.800", about 370 pds at full valve lift lol2.gif
SGB
and .....
nebreitling
what's the stroke on that motor? how many miles did you get on it before this refresh? power output? compression?

i'm curious...
type47
what's the source of your copper head gaskets?
Aaron Cox
Richard-

when can i take delivery lol2.gif
rock on man beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (type47 @ Jun 7 2005, 08:41 AM)
what's the source of your copper head gaskets?

i've got a set of 2.0 .030" copper gaskets I'll let go cheap, told not to run them on my turbo motor..........
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (SGB @ Jun 7 2005, 05:22 AM)
and .....

"And", the assembly up to, installing the heads, was nothing unusual.
After installing the heads, I do a kinda cylinder pressure test, I turn on my compressor, and pressurize the cylinder with 150 psi, I look for unusal leakage, there is some leak down past the rings, which is normal, but I look for leakage between the cylinder and head, or leaking past the valves. Well I had some leakage past the valves on 1 cylinder, I said shit, I didn't lap the valves well enough, so I pulled the head back off, the lapping looked ok, to be safe I did them again, reinstalled the head and repressurized the cylinder, it was still leaking. Troble shoot time, it was the intake that was keaking, I could feel it leaking with my finger, but the location was unusual, it felt like it was coming from the seat. smash.gif I pulled it back off and determined that it was leaking between the head and seat, unbelieveable. smash.gif Had the seat pulled, couldn't find an oversized replacement, so had to have the head welded, then machined for a standard size seat, then the new 1 installed, I lost an intire day, because of this crap, that was friday. smash.gif

Come sunday, it was all together, and in the car, and I fired it up, Letting it warm up so I can dial in the carbs, when I see a puddle of oil growing under the car, shut it off, laying on the ground looking at over 2 quarts of oil, in a medium size puddle turning into a large 1, when I see, a little shiney object in the oil, it was an aluminum plug, out of the case, right next to the oil filter. DO YOU KNOW MURPHY? COULD ASK HIM WHY HE WOULD COME UP WITH THAT MURHY'S LAW CRAP, If I hadn't known about Murphy's Law, none of this stuff would have ever happened. smash.gif

Pulled the motor monday, striped it down, this morning had both plugs welded, and by 5:00 pm today had it back together, in the car, and fired back up. Tomorrow, I'll dial in the carbs, and be on the road again. smash.gif

"AND THATS IT" smash.gif
redshift
good grief! you kicked ass!

smilie_pokal.gif

M
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jun 7 2005, 06:26 AM)
what's the stroke on that motor? how many miles did you get on it before this refresh? power output? compression?

i'm curious...

Bore 105.7mm Stroke 75mm= 2632

Miles? about 20,000

Power output? Lots Lots more, than stock

Compression? Was 12.2 to1 Droped it to 10.1 to 1

I, don't know what Murphy says about Curisoty, so don't just be afraid, be very afraid smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.