Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob-O
Does anybody know if the new dash pads that are being produced are just by one person/company? Or are multiple suppliers making them? I ask because I see that Automobile Atlanta has them, 914 Rubber has them, Stoddard has them and Sierra Madre Collection has them.

I would assume just one supplier given the cost of tooling, but confused24.gif

Prices are all over the place, up to ~$1200 on a few sites!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Mark makes the good looking inexpensive ones and we buy them from him. Sierra Madre and Stoddards have the expensive duplicates for the true concours cars or expensive 914-6 models but have not had them for awhile . We also stock factory original ones that we have had reskinned expensively by JUST DASHES.

That is the scoop!

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Apr 13 2018, 10:55 AM) *

Does anybody know if the new dash pads that are being produced are just by one person/company? Or are multiple suppliers making them? I ask because I see that Automobile Atlanta has them, 914 Rubber has them, Stoddard has them and Sierra Madre Collection has them.

I would assume just one supplier given the cost of tooling, but confused24.gif

Prices are all over the place, up to ~$1200 on a few sites!
Tom_T
Good clarification info George, Thanx!

Fortunately I got the uncracked original dash from my 74 2L parts car/body shell - which I hope will last as uncracked!

But I'll keep this in mind if it does ever crack, & would either do the Concours Stoddards/SMC or Just Dashes to stay as close to original looking as possible with fresh vinyl leatherette.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Rob-O
Thanks George. That’s great information to know.

I’m extremely grateful for the suppliers we have. It seems like every time I wish somebody would start making an NLA part I see a thread here that says someone is making them. I am still waiting for someone to reproduce the driver’s side armrest/smugglers box lid.

I do wish that Porsche would get more involved in the reproduction of l some items. But some of their stuff is suspect, too. I picked up a targa trim piece (down the back of the targa bar, anodized aluminum) that was from the factory and it’s fit was really poor. At $220 a pop my expectations are that it would fit perfectly.
jcd914
Mark's are reproductions of course but considering the mold was made from a NOS OE dash, I don't know how much closer to OE look you can get. For the price I don't there is anything better out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 13 2018, 11:52 AM) *

But I'll keep this in mind if it does ever crack, & would either do the Concours Stoddards/SMC or Just Dashes to stay as close to original looking as possible with fresh vinyl leatherette.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Dash isn't leatherette. It's haircell vinyl vacuum shrunk over molded foam, like what JustDashes does, which was standard production for that time period. There is an important difference in the haircell vinyl thou, a USA grain that is cheap and easy to get, and the European grain which is neither.

914Rubber uses a modern method to make their repro dash, but because it was molded from a NOS dash has the right vinyl grain. I can't speak for the others. JustDashes does mostly Domestic cars so my first thought is they would not have the Euro grain vinyl.
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 13 2018, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 13 2018, 11:52 AM) *

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Dash isn't leatherette. It's haircell vinyl vacuum shrunk over molded foam, like what JustDashes does, which was standard production for that time period. There is an important difference in the haircell vinyl thou, a USA grain that is cheap and easy to get, and the European grain which is neither.

914Rubber uses a modern method to make their repro dash, but because it was molded from a NOS dash has the right vinyl grain. I can't speak for the others. JustDashes does mostly Domestic cars so my first thought is they would not have the Euro grain vinyl.

Just dashes lays a thin layer of foam over the dash core before the vinyl goes down. It looks nice but doesn’t look stock. Looks a bit puffy.
Mikey914
You are correct on the manufacture of these OEM vs what we do. The really big difference from OEM and what we did is ours is a uniform material. Ever notice that all dashes seem to crack in the same place? It because of the different expansion and contraction rates of the materials. The benefit of ours is that being uniform, it will all expand and contract at the same rate.
Mercurial
Hi guys,

Where can I find a replacement dash pad for a '70 914-6? Places like Stoddard and Sierra Madre only offer for '72-'76.

Thanks in advance!
Mikey914
Currently no one makes the “correct” dash for the 70-71. I could but they would probably be in the $2500 range. 8d have to have 10 people at this price to even cover the tool. The break even would be even more. We get 10 people that would commit at this level, I’d Make it.
Mercurial
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 14 2018, 11:13 PM) *

Currently no one makes the “correct” dash for the 70-71. I could but they would probably be in the $2500 range. 8d have to have 10 people at this price to even cover the tool. The break even would be even more. We get 10 people that would commit at this level, I’d Make it.

Thanks Mark, but I would need it in 4-6 weeks. Does the one you offer fit in a '70?
76-914
QUOTE(Mercurial @ May 15 2018, 06:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 14 2018, 11:13 PM) *

Thanks Mark, but I would need it in 4-6 weeks. Does the one you offer fit in a '70?

I installed one on my '70 and it fits. It's not "The Correct" one but I'll never own a CC 914 so it didn't make a Hill of Beans to me. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
They do fit on the early. Below is the top on my 70. The cut out is shifted to accommodate the glove box. It will not interfere with the opening as you can see, but if you look up from below you could tell.

Mark
mepstein
The 914rubber dash is the best reproduction I have seen. Priced affordably as well. I would use it for one of my early cars over the other options.
gandalf_025
I put one of Marks Dash tops On my 6 and it looks great.
Nobody is going to lay down on the passengers seat and see
Anything... Compared To My cracked factory Dash.... It is amazing.
I’ll post Pictures later when I go out to the garage.. But I HIGHLY
recommend buying directly from Mark...
gandalf_025
Sorry for the poor quality of the picture. I forgot the car
was up on the lift for the summer and I had to take the picture
from a ladder.

It looks great....
I highly recommend Mark's product..

Click to view attachment
Mercurial
Thanks guys!

Mark, looks like I'll be placing another order.
Aircooledfool
Mark - do you have any plans to make the other interior part like you do the dash?
Mikey914
There is the lower and the roll bar. We are making the tooling for the roll bar as it's a more universally needed product. The lower dash has 2 distinct applications that will not cross over like the top.

But yes we are working our way through to be able sell it all!
Aircooledfool
Great news! Sign me up for the complete set!
cal914
I’ve got Marks Dash in my car and it is spot on ,I’m very happy with it
Brian
eric9144
I have both a NOS Porsche Dash and a 914 Rubber dash--Have to be super honest here, the 914 Rubber dash is a closer match to the rest of the interior than the real factory dash is... 914 rubber dash is the front one:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 15 2018, 07:27 AM) *

They do fit on the early. Below is the top on my 70. The cut out is shifted to accommodate the glove box. It will not interfere with the opening as you can see, but if you look up from below you could tell.

Mark

Don't look up from below! lol-2.gif

I have the Mikey914 dash in my '74 and it looks fantastic!
driving.gif white914.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.