Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Cylinder Reset Switch, Where?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
Have a flickering brake light warning light. Fluid level is fine a gauge ground is fine and switch operates fine. sprayed it with electric cleaner and no change. Read on a thread about switches and grounds but also about a reset button on the M C. Where the heck did s it?Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
If present, it will be on the bit with the electrical connector on it. In your photo above, it will be just behind and hidden by the spade lug sticking off the switch.

They're usually covered with a rubber nipple, but not always.

Some switches don't have them and reset themselves when the pressure imbalance is corrected.

--DD
RickS
Thanks Dave. Do you use a tool like punch to push it in or is finger pressure enough? Imagine one just pushes it in.
jcd914
Finger pressure is fine to reset the switch.

As pictured there is no wire connected to your pressure switch.
Where is the wire?
If it is loose and flopping around it could be grounding out intermittently making your brake light flash or flicker.

Jim

RickS
Hiya Jim,

It appears the wire was cut long ago since I found it in a cut off mini 2 wire harness in that area.

Since the light is a very low flicker, I decided to not be concerned until there is a massive brake failure resulting in paralysis, loss of limbs or death. But if the flicker becomes more pronounced, I may not wait quite that long.
jcd914
The brake warning light is triggered if the hand brake is not all the way off and if the brake pressure switch in the master cylinder is set. There are some cars that have wires that appear to be for a brake fluid warning light but I don't know if they are wired to the same warning light.

I would probably disconnect the wire to the hand brake switch and tape it off for a week or so and see if you still get the flickering.

Paralysis,death and dismemberment are kind of extreme testing methods. My wife broke her ankle in August (plate & 9 screws) and that has been a pain for months, I'm thinking death or dismemberment will be a bigger pain to deal with. smile.gif

Jim
Dave_Darling
The brake warning light starts blinking if the wires going to it get shorted to ground. The brake warning switch just grounds the wire going to it; the button under the handbrake handle also grounds the wire plugged into it when the handle is not pressing the button.

A loose wire can contact ground and make the light come on.

BTW, in my one experience with brake failure, I did not need the light to come on in order to notice the failure. It was plenty bloody obvious already, and the warning light was rather a case of "too little too late".

--DD
RickS
Your responses are Much appreciated Dave.

Since I just solved the issue with the alternator LED extinguishing when the car is started, and this appeared, it may be some type of feedback in the electrical system due to the resistor and/or diode combo. Since the brake LED is barely on, I am choosing to ignore.

RickS
Issue solved. About a year ago I substituted LED brake/running lights without a resistor (not Spoke’s). Evidently I never noticed the flickering warning light because I was so consumed with the alternator light issue or had the top off in the sun which masked the light. Anywho, after replacing the Superbright LEDs with good ole incandescent, the issue appears to be solved.

If I wanted to hack my wires, I could add resistors but it is just not worth it. Bedsides I have a center 3rd brake light which flashes under the targa bar, so am better covered than without.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.