Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Engine Rebuild Book -
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisO
Hi All,

I've searched 914World and on the web, to find the best book for rebuilding my '75 1.8L engine. I have the pdf of the factory manual, but I was wondering if there are other good books out there. My search results did not find any real good consensus on "must have" for my book library. I also saw that folks recommended Jake's videos, so I may buy them as well.

My goal (and budget) is to squeeze a few extra horses out, but keep the reliability high. I also plan on keeping and restoring the stock FI system.

Thoughts welcome on good documentation.

Thanks,
Dennis
TheCabinetmaker
Tom Wilson's book has a good section on type 4's, but you need Brad Anders website for a comprehensive djet guide
mgphoto
Tom Wilson, How to Rebuild your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine, ISBN 0-89586-225-5

How to Hot Rod Volkswagen Engines, Bill Fisher ISBN 978-0-91265-603-8

Hot VW's All About Performance VW Engines #3 Jake Raby. Summer 2011

All good reading.
mihai914
I know you specified books.

This is a good written article if you haven't seen it.

http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/
walterolin
Wilson's book is good.

However he puts the four types together in each section, and if you are slow of brain, you can sometimes get them mixed up. I went through and highlighted each of the type IV paragraphs so I could look quickly and not get lost.
Dave_Darling
agree.gif

The section on the cam gear/crank gear timing in particular seems to confuse everyone on the first few (or few dozen!) readings.

--DD
DennisO
Thanks Guys.

I'll get Wilson's book and videos from Jake.

stugray
If you cannot find Jakes video to purchase I have two copies. Lost one & bought another, then found the original.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.