Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone running Crane XR700?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I installed a crane XR700 in my dizzy and the rotor seems to be sit a little high now. When you look into the bottom of the rotor you will see a molded key thang that sets into a notch in the distributor shaft. This prevents the rotor from spinning once it is pushed onto the shaft.

When I push the rotor onto the shaft it hits the black optical disc. The molded thang in the rotor really doesn't set into the notch very deeply. If I twist the rotor by hand it will pop out of the notch and spin on the shaft.

Can anyone measure the amount of shaft that extends above the optical disc for me?

Cheers
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Jun 7 2005, 09:46 AM)
I installed a crane XR700 in my dizzy and the rotor seems to be sit a little high now.
Can anyone measure the amount of shaft that extends above the optical disc for me?

i am, and i had that problem too for a while.
press gently but firmly to make sure the disk is *REALLY* seated. you may also have to adjust the sensor block up a bit.

i've promised a couple of people pictures, so i'll see what i can do on dimensions and pictures - but i have a road trip today and can't get to that until tonight...
Kerrys914
icon_bump.gif
xsboost90
i have a picture somewhere towards the end of my progress thread. The way i set mine was lined the square points cam up w/ the square inner clips on the wheel..slid it down to there and put the rotor on all the way. Slid the wheel up to the rotor and thats where it stays. There is no force put on the wheel so as long as its snug and spins straight, your cool! cool.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jun 10 2005, 07:57 AM)
The way i set mine was lined the square points cam up w/ the square inner clips on the wheel

which is cool, but 6 dizzies don't have squares, they have hexes...

Kerry - i've been swamped but i am on my way out to the car right now, pix in a few...
ArtechnikA
okay - the close-focus capabilities of my digital camera are really frustrating me. the film stuff is better but it'll be a bit before i can get that processed and scanned...

there is 17mm from the top of the rotor drive shaft to the top of the plastic shutter wheel.
Kerrys914
Thanks smilie_pokal.gif

The measurement will be fine. Once i get home I'll check it out.

I would feel better if I could get another 2mm or so of depth in the rotor. IIRC, the rotor is sitting tight on the black optical disk.

Thanks guys.
Kerrys914
In your photo, what is above the flat part of the disk (the piece that has the slots in it)?

It looks like there is somthing in the shaft above the thin disk. unsure.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Jun 10 2005, 09:09 AM)
In your photo, what is above the flat part of the disk (the piece that has the slots in it)?
It looks like there is somthing in the shaft above the thin disk.

that is the shutter wheel. it has a bit of a 'hat' to it. the hex depression is molded into the other side. it also has "221" in very small numbers on one of the petals. maybe your kit somehow wound up with a 6-cyl shutter wheel for a different kind of car. (?). i have found the guys at Crane customer service to be *extremely* helpful; they helped me a lot getting my bracketry set up when it was mostly just my inability to visualise how to put the pieces together. (IOW - i had an image of how i thought it "should" go together, but it goes together a completely different way.)

as helpful as their guys were, it all could have been avoided with ONE decent diagram (instead of the zero supplied...)

anyway - if you don't have that shutter wheel, get one. probably all the guys with 4-cylinder cars have one in their spares pile :-) ...
Kerrys914
I have the shutter wheel but I installed mine with the "HAT" down. I don't recall if it had the hex molded into it or not?

It looks like in your photo the "hat" is up or ? is on the shaft just above the shutter wheel

Cheers wink.gif
xsboost90
mine came w/ a pile of shutters,and a diagram. I can check it out if you need one tonite.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Jun 10 2005, 09:49 AM)
It looks like in your photo the "hat" is up

yes. that alone could account for all the height issue you're seeing.
i *remember* there being a hex on the bottom - but there was only one 6-cyl wheel in the box, and i'm not gonna go pull mine apart for you as much as i'd like to help :-)

maybe the /4 guys can check out a spare...

but yeah - the hat part is the top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.