Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tip on cheap Chinese xyg windshield install and AA dash bead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914xr75
I just completed a windshield install using the cheap Chinese XYG glass from Sierra Madre. I also used Auto Atlanta's dash to windshield bead. Everything went smooth sailing except that I found I needed additional butyl tape on the bottom of the windshield. I could see through the windshield that it wasn't sealing up. I suggest if you use this combination you double up the butyl tape on the bottom. I pushed in an additional piece using a putty knife.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914xr75
Click to view attachment
Joemo5
What dealer did you go though? Was it in the center or outer edges that it didn't fit? I cracked my original, in the process of removal for a restoration.
914werke
dry.gif
gothspeed
Can this be installed using the caulk gun style windshield rubber/polyurethane?
porschetub
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 17 2018, 01:10 PM) *

Can this be installed using the caulk gun style windshield rubber/polyurethane?

Insurance companies in my country are using cheap Chinese screens,I haven't heard of fitment issues but I guess with the way they are glued in on later cars it may be less of an issue.
As the 914 screen has to move and can't be glued in could the screen eventually leak if not a good fit to the frame ,also would the stock alloy trim still fit? I tend not to think so I see the OP has used the rubber trim.
Shame when vendors sell parts that don't fit,further reinforces why I don't deal with them anymore dry.gif .
914xr75
I purchased the windshield through Sierra Madre. The entire bottom section was not sealing up. The bottom corners were sealed. I definitely thought about using a caulking gun to push in some additional sealant but the butyl tape worked. Made a little bit of a mess but it was covered up with the trim.
Mikey914
The pillar edges are the real issue. As the bead can be seen, so it better be pretty.
Larmo63
"I see the OP has used the rubber trim."

It looks like metal trim that has been made black. (paint or Anodized?)

I've had Ruffino install three Chinese windshields in different 914s with no issues. He uses butyl all the way around the glass, pops it in, and clips the trim on.

I won't say the China windshields are good quality, but they are adequate.
gothspeed
Are there other sources of new 914 windshields? I have the original and it is in fairly decent shape, but figured with a new paint job a new window would look better?

I have also seen a window rubber seal surround used by a few people on here. Is this available? The reason I ask is because the OE trim creates a void and traps water in the lower corners.
mmichalik
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 17 2018, 08:34 AM) *

Are there other sources of new 914 windshields? I have the original and it is in fairly decent shape, but figured with a new paint job a new window would look better?

I have also seen a window rubber seal surround used by a few people on here. Is this available? The reason I ask is because the OE trim creates a void and traps water in the lower corners.

914rubber.com has the rubber seal https://shop.914rubber.com/914-Windshield-C...m?categoryId=-1

I'm thinking about putting this on mine as well. I have all three pieces of chrome but, they are pretty beat up so, not 100% sure yet.
gothspeed
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Apr 17 2018, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 17 2018, 08:34 AM) *

914rubber.com has the rubber seal https://shop.914rubber.com/914-Windshield-C...m?categoryId=-1

I'm thinking about putting this on mine as well. I have all three pieces of chrome but, they are pretty beat up so, not 100% sure yet.

Thanks for posting the link! I think that rubber would look better than the chrome strips. It looks like it will fill the void/space around the window after the window is glued in.
I wonder what holds the rubber in? Is it just pushed in the space or is it glued in?
914work
I agree with Lawrence, Ive sold a number of these and installed 3 or 4 with no fitment or breakage issues.
They may very well be slightly thinner than the Sekurit (sp) but its a 3rd the price.
You get what you pay for.

914work
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 17 2018, 01:03 PM) *

I wonder what holds the rubber in? Is it just pushed in the space or is it glued in?
Both. The challenge is getting the corners to lay flat. idea.gif
I have some close up photos somewhere of Chris's (effutuo101) car where we had that install done by a pro glass guy. It came out SWEET! aktion035.gif
bretth
There was one vendor on here selling new Sekurit windshields. Should be able find the posts in a search. Anyone have fitment issues with the new Sekurit windshields?
gothspeed
QUOTE(bretth @ Apr 17 2018, 01:58 PM) *

There was one vendor on here selling new Sekurit windshields. Should be able find the posts in a search. Anyone have fitment issues with the new Sekurit windshields?

I did not know new Sekurit windshields were available. Thanks for posting about it.
bretth
I believe this is the correct thread. Though I thought there was a more recent thread than this one this should be the correct information:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...290079&st=0

Brett
Larmo63
Personally, I think the stainless trim looks the best.

Don't let water get on your car.
gothspeed
QUOTE(bretth @ Apr 17 2018, 07:49 PM) *

I believe this is the correct thread. Though I thought there was a more recent thread than this one this should be the correct information:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...290079&st=0

Brett
Good info! beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 17 2018, 08:32 PM) *

Personally, I think the stainless trim looks the best.

Don't let water get on your car.

I was thinking of filling the lower corners with an epoxy to displace water if I went with stock windshield trim.

But you are correct, just keep the car garaged with periodic and careful sponge baths should keep water from accumulating in those lower corners. agree.gif
windforfun
What is butyl tape?
914xr75
You ever pull your door panel off and behind that little plastic sheeting there's this black gummy substance. That's butyl tape. Always stays kind of gummy.
gothspeed
QUOTE(windforfun @ Apr 18 2018, 05:24 PM) *

What is butyl tape?

It is semi-soft rubber/tar like rope. I believe it is what the factory used to install the windshield.

Here is a link and a pic:

http://www.tptools.com/Pro-Form-Butyl-Wind...-Tape,3408.html

But some peeps use polyurethane. It seals better IMO but much tougher to remove.
914werke
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 18 2018, 05:43 PM) *

What is butyl tape?

It is semi-soft rubber/tar like rope. I believe it is what the factory used to install the windshield.

But some peeps use polyurethane. It seals better IMO but much tougher to remove.

The problem with Urethane, unlike Butyl, it forms a hard seal. & with the flexi nature or our targa cars has the potential of transferring twists or shocks to the now rigidly mounted glass. ...Crack! Butyl provides that little flexible isolation because it (should) never become hard.
gothspeed
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 18 2018, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 18 2018, 05:43 PM) *

What is butyl tape?

The problem with Urethane, unlike Butyl, it forms a hard seal. & with the flexi nature or our targa cars has the potential of transferring twists or shocks to the now rigidly mounted glass. ...Crack! Butyl provides that little flexible isolation because it (should) never become hard.
I wouldn't mind butyl, who makes the softer stuff? I have tried butyl on the rear window and it was difficult to get it to seal 'all the way around'.
windforfun
Thanks guys for the education!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.