Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much can front Koni spots be compressed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
basically, i want to know how many of the rubber stops i can cut. right now, i cut the top of the three donuts off, just leaving the bottom one and the middle. i'm wondering if i can cut another 1/2 off and still be in the 'safe' zone. don't want to bottom out these new shocks, but i'd like to gain as much suspension travel as possible, obviously...

n
nebreitling
i suppose that 'spots' could be read as 'sports'....

headbang.gif
grantsfo
Have you talked to the technical guys at Koni NA? They are very down to earth and knowledgeable. I have spoken to them about other applications with good results. I think all their contact info is still listed on thier web site.
MoveQik
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jun 7 2005, 11:14 AM)
basically, i want to know how many of the rubber stops i can cut. right now, i cut the top of the three donuts off, just leaving the bottom one and the middle. i'm wondering if i can cut another 1/2 off and still be in the 'safe' zone. don't want to bottom out these new shocks, but i'd like to gain as much suspension travel as possible, obviously...

n

Should you talk to them, let me know what they say. I am in the same boat.
Aaron Cox
Nate - I run the Koni COMPETITION bump stops. a little shorter, and they are "progressive if you will" designed by koni, for koni reds/yellows. about 2" tall, and progressively increase stiffness as compressed. wont let you destroy the struts...

want to say like 15 bucks each at paragon.
pretty cool stuff....

AA
nebreitling
hmmm, those competition bump stops don't look like they'd work much different than what i've got on there now...

so i talked with koni, and they didn't know exactly.
but they gave me a few dimensions with which one can figure it out if it's uninstalled...

the shock at full length is 622mm/24.48" long
the shock at full compression is 446mm/17.55" long

in other words, 176mm/6.929" of travel.

i'll drop a strut and try to measure....

n
nebreitling
okay, according to the dimensions that i got on the phone with koni, and according to my measurements, and according to my guess that one "donut" rubber bump stop will compress to about 1/2" under a really rough hit... (do you get the disclaimer??):

you should just *barely* get by running one "donut" stop.

two is definitely overkill from a 'maximum' compression standpoint, though having a 'progressive' effect like aaron mentioned is probably desirable.

YMMV, don't get upset if you ruin your struts according to this...

i'm going to run 1 and just-a-little-more-donut stops.

n
ChrisReale
I think I run one, I can check next time I use my car
redshift
Nathan... don't do that... have your spindles modified.

You may well end up with bad struts, but you really risk putting nut/tower nipples on your hood, as well..

It's not pretty!

M
nebreitling
dood, your avatar is not pretty!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.