Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sapphire radio correct for 73? Anyone modernizing these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
I think this radio came out of a 74 (see pics below). Is it correct for a 73? Can these be repaired? The tuner does not turn and pushing the buttons also doesn't change the channels. Is anyone removing the guts of these and putting in modern internals with bluetooth?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

914Sixer
The Model XXII shows to be a 74 but the radio can be used in any year because of the overlap that the dealers had in parts. That is a mono radio. I might know some one that can fix it for you. Figure around $150.

Face plate and knobs are more valuable than the radio at this point.
billh1963
How do you remove the radio complete with the plate? I have one on a parts car I need to pull out and have no idea how to do that.
doug_b_928
@914sixer: thanks for the info. Good to know it’s an option to have it fixed and be correct. I’ve seen some people talk about installing radios like this for looks only and using Bluetooth speakers and their phone. But I would like a hard wired radio (with Bluetooth for streaming and calling). Anyone know if it’s possible to install a radio behind the dash that can be worked by a remote?

@billh1963: the radio came to me like that with other parts. I just assumed that there are nuts behind the knobs holding it together.
914Sixer
Radio should be secured with a Z shaped bar under the dash. Make sure you keep it with the radio. Take the knobs off, undue the shaft nuts. Pull plate off. Radio has tabs on both sides, pop one side out and tilt. Radio should come out.
worn
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 19 2018, 04:32 AM) *

Radio should be secured with a Z shaped bar under the dash. Make sure you keep it with the radio. Take the knobs off, undue the shaft nuts. Pull plate off. Radio has tabs on both sides, pop one side out and tilt. Radio should come out.

My plastic face basket weave plastic was mounted with double stick tape to the metal dash. Pry gently.
timothy_nd28
I did a few conversions that modernized old car radios. Aurora Design makes a neat little kit which removes all the old electronics, and replaces it with a well engineered small circuit board. The FMR-2.5 module will still use the tuning mechanism, and all knobs, so the old radio push buttons and knobs are still functional. I think this is a major plus for any purist that wants the look and functionality of their old radio.
Aurora also sells a Bluetooth module, which talks with the main FMR-2.5 module.

I have spoken with the engineer, and he's a hell of a nice guy. The FMR 2.5 module has a ton of features as he designed it to be universal with most every old school radio.

The Bad:
*You will most likely not be able to purchase these modules direct unless you become a dealer thru Aurora Design.
*If you do find a place to buy these modules, you will quickly find out that they are somewhat pricey.
*If Bluetooth is what you are after, you need to buy the main module and the Bluetooth module.
*You will need some skill level assembling this whole mess together, soldering is involved along with good reading abilities when following his manual.
*The heat sink that comes with the main module sucks, I had new custom heat sinks machined to maintain longevity of these modules.
*I'm embarrassed to say how many hours it took me to install this kit, labor intensive!

I was planning on providing a service on this site for this conversion, but the material cost and labor involved just didn't make much sense. Not many people here are willing to fork out 1k for a silly radio flag.gif

doug_b_928
Thanks for your reply re modernization. It's good to know it can be done. Restoring this car is financially disastrous already so something like that will have to wait until I have purchased everything else I need and recovered from it all. Maybe one of those 'Classic' radios (which probably won't look quite right) will have to do in the meantime.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.