Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why do Bursch rust?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
About three weeks ago, I installed a brand-new Bursch exhaust on my 914. At that time, I decided that I was going to install it as I had received it, then remove it later to treat it with some good, quality very high temperature (VHT) paint.

Today, I pulled the exhaust off and this is what I found. The original paint had flaked everywhere. It was extremely easy to brush off the paint with a rag.

I took these pictures right after I removed the exhaust. After I took these pictures, I put a metal finishing pad in my detail sander and got almost all of the original paint off very easily. It is now sitting outside with a new coat of PJ1 Fast Black waiting to be reinstalled.
Part Pricer
next
Part Pricer
next
Part Pricer
next
Part Pricer
next
Part Pricer
next
Part Pricer
last
seanery
Paul,

it was flaking so bad, I thout it was wet!
Part Pricer
It's difficult to see in the pictures but the dark parts are paint, the shiny parts are bare metal.
seanery
are you gonna post pics of the new paintjob?
thesey914
Paul are these any good performance wise? A friend of mine fitted one and I think it sounded quite nice...kind of mellow. Are you happy with it?
Part Pricer
are you gonna post pics of the new paintjob?

Now you ask. I just put the effing thing back on. Well, it looks pretty much like the pictures above except everything is black and there is no flaking. Actually, it came out pretty nice. It is now a flat black versus the gloss black that was originally on the exhaust.

Paul are these any good performance wise? A friend of mine fitted one and I think it sounded quite nice...kind of mellow. Are you happy with it?

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that these give a slight performance increase over the stock setup. I happen to like the sound and the price. This Bursch replaces my old Bursch, so I guess that you could say I'm happy with it.
Bleyseng
I think they use a special mix of pesudo black paint that lasts about 1 mile of driving. Kinda like that GM silver/blue paint that last about as long.

Geoff
thesey914
Paul, I dig that avatar!! laugh.gif
tod914
Paul send those pictures to bursch. Im amazed they use such crap paint. Its making me shy away from buying that brand in muffler.
ChrisReale
Its a $200 muffler, what do you expect? I stripped the paint off mine, and it was already rusty, straight from the factory!
Joe Bob
Hey Paul....can you give me some measurements on the flanges? I am thinking that that muffler would match up with my type IV heat exchangers.....

How much did you have to pay for that Bursch?
Joe Bob
Measurements from the outside flange on the driver side to the outside on the passenger side.....please?
914rick
Paul, I had the same problem with my new Bursch a few months ago and re-painted it with high heat paint. It lasted about a week. I think the only fix is to have it ceramic coated. However, it does sound great.
Rick
Part Pricer
OK Mikey, just for you.

This is a standard size that bolts right up to the 2.0 heat exchangers (I'm not sure if there is a width difference with 1.7 & 1.8). The distance between the outside tips of the flanges is 29 ΒΌ inches. (742.95 millimeters)

Here is a pic that shows the points I measured from. In this picture, the exhaust is upside-down.
Part Pricer
Mike, on your question on price, here are the prices that I got as discussed in an earlier thread. These include shipping to my place in Connecticut.

IPB Image
maf914
Hey, Paul. That is a cool avatar. That bird goes down like an Italian Sausage! rolleyes.gif

By the way, I used a Bursch for several years and was satisfied with the performance relative to the price. On mine, the paint quickly disappeared from the collector tubes but stayed on the muffler and tail pipe for years. I still have it in the attic.

Mike
Anton
Paul, don't you feel that your efforts stress the fact that a stainless steel muffler (OEM style) is highly due?

Hello, SSI? chowtime.gif
Part Pricer
If a stainless steel exhaust/muffler assembly were available for a reasonable price, I definitely would have considered it. I know that there are stainless steel mufflers and exhaust systems available for other cars. I guess it is just a matter of economics. What's the demand? What's the profit? Why should I waste my time with those cheap-ass 914 owners?

mueba.gif
Anton
I agree with you Paul. I only know of the SS muffler from Mittelmotor; you can see it on the website complete with dyno test comparison with a OEM 2.0 muffler. The SS muffler has a large diameter exhaust pipe and is definitely not OEM style. Other than that, the price is reasonable.

Not for me though; I would prefer a SS OEM style banana with normal sound characteristics.
Joe Bob
Thanks Paul....I needed the measurements as the HEs on my Type IV came off of a VW bus motor. The exchangers looked wider.

My measurements show that the exhaust bolt up is the same, but the actaul HEs are set outward a few more inches.....
maf914
MikeZ,

Can you use a bus-type extractor instead of the Bursch? I think thats what a lot of the T4/bug conversion guys start with before they spring for the BAS or Tangerine headers. You might heck out the STF T4 forum.

Mike
ejm
Can you use a bus-type extractor

Seems like you should be able to. On my turbo I used an extractor that came off a bus motor with stock HE's. It bolted directly to my 1.8 SS 914 HE's without any problem. So the spacing must be the same in some applications.
Anton
Hey Paul,
I am curious about those avatars starring pinguins. It looks like Italian soccer. You know, like when the referee is not looking? rolleyes.gif
Bleyseng
Oh, I thought it was like the sausage racing!

Geoff
Joe Bob
QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 12 2003, 01:00 PM)
Can you use a bus-type extractor

Seems like you should be able to. On my turbo I used an extractor that came off a bus motor with stock HE's. It bolted directly to my 1.8 SS 914 HE's without any problem. So the spacing must be the same in some applications.

I don't have a lot of room under the apron....remember it a 65 356 that had a 60 hp motor....NOW it has a 150 hp T-4 in it......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.