Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding SS Headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scruz914
One of the “ears” broke off one of my stainless steel headers right at the weld. It actually looks like the weld failed/broke. It is a clean break and the pieces cleanly fit back together - no distortion. I need to take it someone either in Santa Cruz or San Jose to get it welded.

Is there anything special with SS that I should be aware of when looking for a welding shop to do the work?
Any shop recommendations in the South Bay or Santa Cruz?
ChrisReale
I think welding S/S is tricky, so just make it clear that it is S/S. Maybe TangerineRacing will chime in, since he "apparantly" knows a thing or two about welding Stainless, or so I've been told laugh.gif
Jakester
I've welded stainless quite a bit using a MIG setup. It's not too tricky as long as the gauge isn't too thin, since it takes a fair amount of heat (thin = blowouts and warping). Welding stainless with a TIG is tricky, then again, welding anything with TIG takes a lot of practice and good fundamentals (neither of which I have).

I would think a member could help you out rather than forcing you to a welding shop - but what do I know, I'm a newbie... wink.gif
Joe Ricard
I took my SSi pipes to a guy that TIG welded them up 3 years ago. He was a true artist with a welder.
ChrisFoley
Don't let anyone MIG weld that piece back onto the pipe.
A good TIG weld will take care of it nicely.
Look for cracks on all the other "ears" too.
scruz914
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jun 7 2005, 09:31 PM)
Don't let anyone MIG weld that piece back onto the pipe.
A good TIG weld will take care of it nicely.
Look for cracks on all the other "ears" too.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Chris, My beginner welding book says that TIG should be used when welding SS. At the least it is going to be one of my criterias. Good point on checking the other ears.

Can anyone suggest a shop in the South Bay?

-Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.