Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting Question about 75/914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Triaddave
I read a post (april 5) about "malaga red". It was said to have a 911 front end.
My 75/914 also has a 911 front end confirmed by Mr. Dave Said as he sold me larger (19mm?) torsion bars. The bars he sold me would not fit, they were one spline off (one short of what I took out. I ended up buying 22mm bars that fit right in.
My question now is if that was a common thing because the 914 production was coming to an end?.
mepstein
They did not. All 75’s came with 4 lug - 914 struts and 17.9 mm torsion bars.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 19 2018, 02:08 PM) *
They did not. All 75’s came with 4 lug - 914 struts and 17.9 mm torsion bars.

agree.gif
jcd914
There are people that refer to the suspension system used on the 914 as a 911 suspension because it was developed for the 911 and the 914 just uses a variation of the 911 system.

Jim
Triaddave
So, How does that explain the different size torsion bars. Someone install that special for that car. My car came from Jay Hadley or more percise, his ex.
jcd914
QUOTE(Triaddave @ Apr 19 2018, 02:30 PM) *

So, How does that explain the different size torsion bars. Someone install that special for that car. My car came from Jay Hadley or more percise, his ex.

Control arms replaced at some point with 911 arms.
They bolt on but use different torsion bars than 914.
Might have been available cheap at the time or done as a way to bump the torsion bar size a little.

There are potential a lot of reasons they ended up on the car, I don't think factory installation is one of them.

Jim
mepstein
agree.gif a lot can happen in 40 + years.
sixnotfour
Jay Hadley there is ypur answer....
mtndawg
I have a 1975 Malaga Red 2.0L, maybe that was my post? Unfortunately I don't have any paperwork with the car, but I can say it definitely was modified by someone with a 911 front end with the calipers, 5 lug rotors, etc... I think my car was used for track purposes because there was a roll cage too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.