Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much air comes out of your dipstick tube?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Didn't get a response before, so trying one more time.

While looking for possible root causes of oil leaks, read a post on 914World about seeing how much air comes from the diptstick tube with the dipstick out. I tried this in the video below and there was a noticeable pulse, more than I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCSJjvgFXDM

This is a carbureted engine with a breather system. Does this look like the amount you'd expect?
MarkV
I have never seen anyone test for this and I have no idea what it means. Mine is pretty much exactly like yours.....lots of air pulsing out of the dipstick tube. I have an active PCV valve and vent hoses going to the heads and also to the top of the valve covers. The charcoal canister isn't connected and I don't know where I would connect it. I also don't have any kind of catch can. confused24.gif
bretth
Isn't there always going to be pressure in there? Maybe with the dip stick out you now have a path of least resistance to the pressure? I think the bigger worry is if smoke/blow-by is coming out of there too.
brant
It means you have excessive crankcase pressure from worn or unseated rings. But no idea how much is too much

How are your motor breather lines routed?
You me problem I chased on the race car 20 years ago
Was the routing of my breather lines had a “dip” that allowed oil drain back to pool and essentially block my breather lines essentially plugging them

I would loose valve cover gaskets at high rpm
Once I rerouted the lines making sure the gradient was all down hill with no more dips. I solved my problem back then
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.