Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air/Fuel gauge saved the day.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Over the years here, I have gotten lots of help and taken lots of advice. I feel like my 1911 cc L-jet engine runs like a top. And since I have been over every inch of it, I can feel when things just aren't right.

After my last LARGE vacuum leak, it was suggested that I get a permanent A/F gauge. I got a good deal on the PLX model. The gauge has multi features, but I only really use the volt gauge and the A/F gauge.

I recently added the Bluetooth sender. So I can also use my phone as a gauge, kinda cool.

I normally run A/F just under 13 on a specific Interstate hill on my way to work.

Anyway, it was about 35 degrees this morning and the car did not want to idle. I noticed that the A/F at idle just after warming up was 15 to 16. Kinda high. It drops to 10-ish for about a minute..... The CHT is doing it's job. And my 12.5 - 12.9 on the hill was up over 13.5. Even idling after my 30 minute drive was still over 15. AIR LEAK>>>>

I pulled in to work, popped the trunk, looked around and found that one of the pipes I plugged when I removed my Decel and EGR had started to unplug itself. Got a new plug and restarted the engine.

Perfect again. Started right up, idles smoothly and at a much lower A/F.

If you don't have one, I suggest you get a PLX A/F set up. You can skip the mounted gauge and just use your phone. Without the gauge I could have been stranded somewhere trying to find the problem and a plug to re-plug.

timothy_nd28
smile.gif
914-300Hemi
This is another project that needs to be done. Where was the sensor installed and what make and model are you using?
malcolm2
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Apr 20 2018, 11:23 AM) *

This is another project that needs to be done. Where was the sensor installed and what make and model are you using?

http://www.plxdevices.com/PLX-Wideband-O2-...auges-s/125.htm

PLX Wide band 02 combo gauge and the Bluetooth add on.

I have a 75 with 75 exhaust. there is an 18" pipe that is probably were the CAT would go. I pulled mine and welded in a bung. Got the bung and bung plug on amazon. My welding is not so good, so I bought several bungs. I think it took 2 or 3 tries to get it right.

Maybe I just like to type BUNG? KMA.gif
Mueller
On my last L-jet 914, I made some delrin plugs that went into the large rubber elbow to help eliminate vac leaks...... will be doing the same with my latest 914 once it is up and running.

I have an Innovate WB02 (need to find it as it's been a few years since I've seen it)
pete000
I have the same unit and it works great. Was invaluable setting up my L-Jet !
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 20 2018, 01:12 PM) *

On my last L-jet 914, I made some delrin plugs that went into the large rubber elbow to help eliminate vac leaks...... will be doing the same with my latest 914 once it is up and running.

I have an Innovate WB02 (need to find it as it's been a few years since I've seen it)

This is what I have and it works great. Even lets me integrate it to my boost controller so if I have the fuel going out of ideal range the boost will drop down to my desired levels. It worked fantastic for when I was having fuel starvation issues due to a clogged fuel filter.
I've wanted to monitor this but didn't want to install a modern-style gauge. I hadn't realized there was a bluetooth option.

Where did you put the red box?
malcolm2
QUOTE(98101 @ Apr 21 2018, 02:39 AM) *

I've wanted to monitor this but didn't want to install a modern-style gauge. I hadn't realized there was a bluetooth option.

Where did you put the red box?

Comes with a very long cord. I put the box under the dash. Up behind the radio.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.