Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dwillouby
Hello,
I am in the process of upgrading my V8 conversion to a 02 Boxster 6 speed tranaxle.
I currently have the 4 bolt 108mm cv,stubs and 911 axles. I know the axles are too short and will order new once I determine the correct length. Looking at the cv joint now has me concerned that they are worn out. No signs of trouble from them before I started the conversion.

I will post some photos for advice.

If I require new cv's I will use the 6 bolt 930 units. Does anyone have any opinions about the Empi verses the Lobro units?

Also since I have the 4 bolt 2 pin stubs how would I address the 6 bolt cv setup?

Thanks
DavidClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Looks like normal wear to me.
tazz9924
Cant attest to the wear part visually, usually when its assembled you can feal play in the joints and a tad bit is ok but you should be able to figure out if its too much. I would go lobros over empi’s. You just don’t know what quality the empi part ur getting is. And to get 930 joints you could use cv joint adapters, ive talked to a few members who have used them without issues. I have a set waiting to be put on, just need to make some chromoly axles popcorn[1].gif
Mark Henry
Run your finger down the groove if you feel a divot they're done.

Mid 90's 911 G50 CV's are 108mm, they don't have a recess for a gasket so I'd try a thin coat of your favorite sealant. I can't remember but you might have to slightly enlarge 2 holes for the dowels.

Lobro, molding a warm piece of dog shit is better than empi CV's.
Mark Henry
Just checked for you, the 911 996 has the same flange as the G50, likely boxster output stubs are also 108mm.
dwillouby
Thanks for the advice.

They seem to be fine using the finger test. Guess I will reuse them.

Am getting so used to spending money on this project I figured of course I need them.

Mark, To help me understand, Will the 930 CV work in place of the early 911 unit? Not familiar with the G50, 996 ect.

If so would just press the roll pins into 2 of the CV holes to mate to the stubs?

Thanks

David

dwillouby
icon_bump.gif
Steve
I’m running 1973 911 disks stub axles and 108cv’s on the outside. Swayaway 930 axles and 1986 915 108mm cv’s on the inside. (1986 915 trans). I know you can also run the 1973 108’s on the inside with course flanges for a 901/914 trans. This is all covered in the how to section under axles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.