Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Watercooled Porsche Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
My 914
Can a water cooled Porsche engine be used for a 914 conversion? If so, does anyone here have one or know of one?
Thanks.
Porschef
Rick Ollah has a 928 engine. There may be others, most don't fit well.
URY914
Time and money will put any engine in a 914.
Mark Henry
M96/97 engines are too wide, plus you can do a nice fresh 3.2 /6 conversion for less than the cost of a M96 rebuild alone.
Dave_Darling
I believe someone did wind up putting a Boxster engine in one. I've only seen a couple of pics, and I don't remember if it was driving or not, but it was installed. The pics may have been on one of the Facebook groups.

Marty (MSDS) and his crew are putting a twin-turbo Cayenne V8 into one. There's a thread on here. It is awesome but a whole lot of stuff is being done to the car.

As mentioned, Rick built the Alien with a 928 engine. He moved the firewall forward to make it fit.

There may be a VR6 swap out there in the wild somewhere; some of the early base-model Cayennes ran a version of that so it might technically qualify.

I am not aware of any others so far.

The 944 motors are basically half a 928 motor, so you'd have the same problems fitting one as the V8. Not sure about the 924, but I'd guess it would be similar.

--DD
Mueller
If I had the money and talent, I would opt for the 90° V6 Porsche is putting into the new Macans.

No it won't bolt up and no kits available so you are on your own for all fabrication*

*for any water cooled Porsche engine

Click to view attachment
thelogo
I know you cannot turbo a 914

But if i had unlimited resources $$$

I would want a 914 with 993 turbo powerplant

400horses may be overkill but i assume it would cruise at 100mph all day and that is damn sexy to me

I know i should buy a buick
Mueller
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 21 2018, 12:19 PM) *

^aircooled engine so not relevant to the OP.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 21 2018, 01:47 PM) *

The 944 motors are basically half a 928 motor, so you'd have the same problems fitting one as the V8. Not sure about the 924, but I'd guess it would be similar.

--DD

The 924S is a 944 without the flared wheels. It gets the same 2.5L 2 valve engine as the original 944. It would require the same mods Rick did to build the alien, and you get the lowest horsepower motor from the 944. If I were going to do that, I would put in the 928 engine.

The original 924 had an Audi Fox motor in it. An anemic 2.0L 4 cylinder that puts out less horsepower than a 2.0 Type IV.....so why bother.

If you REALLY want to make a unique 914, find a W12 from the VW Phaeton. It uses the same bolt pattern bell housing as a Boxster S, so the transmission would be easy to install, and the engine is actually a little shorter than a 911 six cylinder.

And a LOT more Horsepower!
tomh
Why would anyone want water in a car engine.
Mark Henry
For $ to HP value a chevy is still the winner for a WC conversion.
For resale value the aircooled /6 conversion wins.
All will cost more than the end result is worth, a DIY /6 may be close... if you don't count your labor and come across some deals.
rick 918-S
Sometimes it's not about the money or the HP. Sometimes it's about the cool factor. Just something about putting a big Porsche V8 behind the bulkhead and mashing the throttle. Porsche really should have done this. Besides no matter if it's Chevy, Porsche or another make, start pushing over 375 HP and a 901 becomes the weak link.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 21 2018, 12:10 PM) *

If I had the money and talent, I would opt for the 90° V6 Porsche is putting into the new Macans.

But how long is it? Specifically, how far forward would the top-front part of it be? That's where the firewall gets in the way the most...

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 21 2018, 04:05 PM) *

If you REALLY want to make a unique 914, find a W12 from the VW Phaeton. It ... is actually a little shorter than a 911 six cylinder.

Same question as above--how far forward is that upper front corner going to be? Even if the motor overall is shorter, if the top part is further forward than the 911 engine's fan, there's a good chance there will be interference with the firewall.

That can be dealt with, obviously, but it's nice to not have to deal with it.

--DD
My 914
I appreciate the posts and feedback. It doesn't seem like there's any straightforward Porsche water-cooled option. I do like to think about what Porsche would have done in terms of an engine had they kept the 914 going. Would it now come with a water-cooled six?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(My 914 @ Apr 22 2018, 06:59 PM) *

I appreciate the posts and feedback. It doesn't seem like there's any straightforward Porsche water-cooled option. I do like to think about what Porsche would have done in terms of an engine had they kept the 914 going. Would it now come with a water-cooled six?

They do...it's called a boxster. biggrin.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 21 2018, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 21 2018, 12:19 PM) *

^aircooled engine so not relevant to the OP.

Ok then make that a 959 tubo engine
With water cooled heads ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.