Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Identify these wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vitaminc914
I just bought this 73 1.7L, I have never seen these wheels before. I know they are aftermarket but I am hoping someone can help me identify them in the hopes of finding center caps for them. Thanks!
PlantMan
Dan Gurney wheels. There may have only been one manufacturer.
You can actually polish them up real nice too!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
they are the old american racing alloy wheels. Very popular for vws at the time as well, since they have the vw bug offset and cannot wear the widest tire at 914 could wear
Mueller
Good thread about those wheels and how to figure out manufacture (could pop one off and look for castings)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...ighlight=gurney

Two things are obviously different between the Western wheel and the Dan Gurney.
The valve stem hole is lined up with the spoke on the Western, and lined up with a window on the Gurney.
Also, the Western has four small holes for mounting a center cap. The Gurney doesn't.
GeorgeRud
I had those on my old 914 2.0. Bought them from a company called Nicholas von Rosenberg back in 1974 and I think they were the Western wheels but really don’t remember anymore. Much nicer looking than the factory steel wheels and not as expensive as the Porsche alloys. Just needed to use the proper lugbolts.
Click to view attachment
BIGKAT_83
This is what I love about this site. Ask a question and get 3 different answers. Take your pick, only one is right.
vitaminc914
Thank you everyone for the responses. I will be picking up the car in a couple of weeks and I will have a chance to go through it. Regardless of the brand, I am going to keep them since they are in good shape. I think I can find a center cap and I have a friend that will make me a vinyl sticker with the Porsche logo to go on the center cap.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 21 2018, 02:20 PM) *

This is what I love about this site. Ask a question and get 3 different answers. Take your pick, only one is right.

lol-2.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 21 2018, 02:20 PM) *

Hey, there are 4 wheels on the car. Could be that all three answers are right, and one more besides!!! biggrin.gif

--DD
Craigers17
I can't attest to all the definitive differences between Gurneys and Westerns, but I can tell you that the set of Dan Gurneys that I have don't have the screw holes for the center caps, ...they are push in. They are also only 4 lug and have the valve stem lined up with the window as Mueller's link implies.

They also have 3 castings on the back of the wheel. One telling the size of the wheel, 14x5.5 in my case, one telling the maximum wheel load in lbs, and one saying either "Dan Gurney Inc" or "Dan Gurney Ltd"....or something like that...it's hard to read the last three letters.

In any event, the bore is roughly 3 and 1/4 inches in diameter, and I have 4 brand new center caps that fit the wheels I have. If your wheels have a similar bore, and you're interested, pm me, as I am not going to install the caps on my car. They are the "taller" caps and are roughly 4 inches long....pics included. There are no scratches on them, although it kinda looks like that in the first pic.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
URY914
The set I had on my car were American Racing.

Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Sometimes referred to as Western Wheels, the mafia uses them to make sure bodies never come up... sunglasses.gif

Seriously, that's some heavy shit.
Mark Henry
I had a set drilled for VW bay window bus years ago.
vitaminc914
Just sent you a PM. Thanks...Ray

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Apr 22 2018, 04:11 PM) *

I can't attest to all the definitive differences between Gurneys and Westerns, but I can tell you that the set of Dan Gurneys that I have don't have the screw holes for the center caps, ...they are push in. They are also only 4 lug and have the valve stem lined up with the window as Mueller's link implies.

They also have 3 castings on the back of the wheel. One telling the size of the wheel, 14x5.5 in my case, one telling the maximum wheel load in lbs, and one saying either "Dan Gurney Inc" or "Dan Gurney Ltd"....or something like that...it's hard to read the last three letters.

In any event, the bore is roughly 3 and 1/4 inches in diameter, and I have 4 brand new center caps that fit the wheels I have. If your wheels have a similar bore, and you're interested, pm me, as I am not going to install the caps on my car. They are the "taller" caps and are roughly 4 inches long....pics included. There are no scratches on them, although it kinda looks like that in the first pic.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

vitaminc914
Update. I took one of the wheels off and the only inscription on it is the word "SPORT" so I am not sure what they are anymore.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.