Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would URY do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
So, I finished drilling. Looks pretty good, but not up to the work that has already been done. So I need to disassemble and send the two main parts of each handle off to Ogden Chrome for a refresh.

What have you guys done? I know Paul takes these apart all the time. I don't suppose it's possible to do without destroying the rivet that it pivots on?
daytona
I like the look.
Been thinking about doing the same thing. What size drill are you using?
Bill.
sixnotfour
copykat....ala me and Ralph Meaney....oh ya magnus did it toooooo
ConeDodger
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 22 2018, 12:32 AM) *

copykat....ala me and Ralph Meaney....oh ya magnus did it toooooo

evilgrin.gif
r_towle
Take it all apart, I bet URY knows where to get that river.
URY914
You could have asked me directly. confused24.gif
URY914
You have to file the top off the pin to get it out.
URY914
You have to tap/push the pin out VERY carefully. I've developed a few tools over the years to do this. You can damage the flapper piece if you are not careful.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 22 2018, 08:39 AM) *

Yes, but it’s a forum. How is the collective knowledge benefitted by my asking you directly? happy11.gif

Do you just use a bolt to put it back together or is the rivet still a parts counter thing?
ConeDodger
Actually, I think I’ll try polishing the handle faces first. They look pretty good after a good cleaning. biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 22 2018, 05:39 AM) *

Yes, but it’s a forum. How is the collective knowledge benefitted by my asking you directly? happy11.gif

Do you just use a bolt to put it back together or is the rivet still a parts counter thing?

Reuse the pin. The tension on the pin will keep the pin in the hole. Reinstall the filed off end of the pin on the bottom of the handle. I've never had a pin back out.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 22 2018, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 22 2018, 05:39 AM) *

Reuse the pin. The tension on the pin will keep the pin in the hole. Reinstall the filed off end of the pin on the bottom of the handle. I've never had a pin back out.

aktion035.gif
bdstone914
Is this the stat to make your car as light ac Ury's? Do you think this will improve your auto cross times ? poke.gif
scallyk9
AA has a kit for replacing the long rivet. A smooth shank allen bolt with a short threaded area for a locknut at the end. I had to add a washer or two but it worked great.
URY914
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Apr 22 2018, 08:31 AM) *

AA has a kit for replacing the long rivet. A smooth shank allen bolt with a short threaded area for a locknut at the end. I had to add a washer or two but it worked great.

Not needed. bye1.gif
bulitt
Pretty cool! Always liked Brants "racer build" thread for all the weight reduction he did...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 22 2018, 11:19 AM) *

Is this the stat to make your car as light ac Ury's? Do you think this will improve your auto cross times ? poke.gif

I don't really autocross anymore Bruce. 8 hours of standing in the sun for 5 minutes of fun is just not worth it. I drop in from time-to-time but track days are so much more fun and for $/hour of seat time? There isn't even a close comparison.
Not trying obviously to get my car as light as Paul's car. It's just another part of being authentic to the spirit of the GT cars. As I said in my thread, this saves 3/4#. Better thing would be to put the driver on a diet and exercise program! unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.