Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O/T PayPal verified?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jet1
I have reached the spending limit with paypal for not being verified. has anyone had any problems with being verified? I just don't like the idea of giving them my bank account number. Any risk involved? Is there any way to keep using paypal without getting verified?

redshift
Any risk? Yes. Verified = owned.gif

They can take anything you have in there. Anytime.

A friend sent an item to someone for $4,500, and the buyer disputed the charge, and never sent the item back.

PayPal yanked the money, and gave it to the thief.

OH! OH! OH! The fun part is, there was only about $2,500 in the account, and now he has a bank problem, and PayPal is trying to COLLECT.

M
jet1
ohmy.gif

Now I really don't want to give them my account number! I only use paypal for ebay payments. seems to be the best way to pay. I would like to keep using it. It seems a lot of people use it. If it is only used to make purchases is there anything to worry about? If you get verified do they charge your account directly or can you still use a credit card?
firstknight13
finger.gif NEVER use paypal barf.gif if you look up paypal on yahoo then scroll down there is a million "BAD EXPERIENCES" on there. just read a few you will see. they aren't goverened by federal regs and can DO as they please with your money and you can't do shit!!!! but you can learn on your own!! i only use postal m.o.!!! wink.gif
Joe Bob
Back it up with a credit card instead of a bank account.
jet1
Back it up with a credit card instead of a bank account.

I have been using a credit card with paypal, but they only let you send a limited amount of money. When you reach $2k total payments you have to get verified in order to send more. The only way to get verified is to give them your bank account and let them confirm it.
seanery
I have an account just for paypal and 914/club stuff....most banks are more than willing to give free checking nowadays...just keep a balance in it so it doesn't get closed for lack of activity.
Verruckt
The verified is only where they deposit two small amounts of money into your account that you signed up with, and you then tell the the exact amounts. It is basically a confirmation. The amounts they deposit are less than a dollar. It's no big deal. It's purpose is to weed out the scammers and non active users. Don't be afraid of it.

Probably 80% of the bad stories are OLD stories, before they switched hands. Paypal is the safest way to do anything on the net. I have had problems with a transaction, and had plenty of help from them getting it corrected.
xsboost90
been using it a couple years with no problems. I dont send 4500 to anyone though...geez!!
markb
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jun 7 2005, 06:40 PM)
been using it a couple years with no problems. I dont send 4500 to anyone though...geez!!

agree.gif
jet1
I have an account just for paypal and 914/club stuff

Seems like a good idea. I may do that. Can you still use a credit card after you sign up a bank account or do they transfer the money from the account? Do they limit you to the amount in the account?

What a hassle! I think I may just forget about PayPal and go work on the car! wacko.gif
TravisNeff
The verification is to verify whatever bank account you are tying into. I have sent a large chunk of change via paypal, went fine. Once you are verified you can easily move funds around between your bank and paypal. However, I am not an avid user of paypal.

One nice thing if you are selling stuff is that you can create a mailing label and purchase postage on the spot without having to move funds into your bank, just figured that out today.
bperry
I use paypal and the account I use for purchases is not "verified" and never will be.
(you have no choice if you intend to sell)
I use it with a credit card. The biggest beef that I have with paypal
is that according to the paypal agreement you agree to use "paypal" dispute
resolution and NOT to use the credit card dispute resolution.
The problem with this is that if you do it the paypal way, enough
time will pass to where you can non longer dispute it using your
credit card.
Paypal does this intentionally because even though they aren't
supplying the merchandise, they are the "merchant" as far
as the credit card company is concerned.
This means that if you use paypal dispute resolution and there is a problem
paypal will never be stuck dealing with a money shortage.
If you use the credit card dispute resolution, paypal can get
stuck losing money.
This happens if the seller is a scammer takes the money
but never ships the merchandise and then you file a dispute
with the credit card compay, who immediately will take the money
back from paypal.

I did have a problem with a fraudulent seller and I did use the
credit card dispute reslution after a brief period of time tryng
to work out out the paypal way, just as
the credit card dispute clock was about to expire.
(Hey, I wasn't going to eat the money loss)
Boy, paypal gets really upset quite quickly.
They send e-mails and even will cancel your account.
I think they even called me.
But I did get my money back and paypal lost $199 on the deal.

I found out a lot of interesting things during this process. Things
like when the amount stolen is under $200 in California and the
transaction crosses states the rules
for fraud are totally different and it becomes much harder to nail
the person for anything very significant.

Anyway, long and short of it is, I will NEVER be verified for an account
that I use solely for purchases so that I can maintain the advantage
and use the Credit card dispute mechanism when necessary
without fear that Paypal will steal money from my checking account
or hit me for NSF (insufficient funds) fees.

To paypals demand that you never use your credit card dispute
mechanism, I say finger.gif

And if you buy and sell, use seperate accounts and a seperate
checking account just for paypal sales.

BTW, a few months after all the chaos with the dispute, they sent
me a nice e-mail inviting me back
to be a paypal "member". Go figure... screwy.gif

(After 4 years, I'm still not verified)

--- Bill
smooth_eddy
I have been trying to get verified with pay pal for over 6 weeks now. I gave them a bank account with only $100 in it. They are a pain to deal with. I get put on hold for a half hour every time I call them. They suck.... Pay Pal blames my bank and my bank blames Pay Pal. I am stuck in the middle waiting for the 2 tiny deposits. Without Pal Pal, I can't sell or buy on eBay because I am at my $2k limit. The phone number for pay pal is: 888 224/1161. Good luck, it is like dealing with the federal government. Eddy
jet1
I use paypal and the account I use for purchases is not "verified" and never will be.
(you have no choice if you intend to sell)

I don't think you have a choice. If you reach a total of $2k in sent payments then you have to get verified. Right? If there is a way to keep using my account without getting verified that would be great, because I only use it to buy not sell.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like this has been a problem for some people. I am really starting to think the best solution is to use money orders to pay from now on.
Kargeek
I asked the same thing as I am not verified and almost at my spending limit. I don't care to be verified either. I emailed them and got a response stating that this is their policy however, I don't like to give my bank info. So, maybe setting up a seperate bank account is the way to go. If you find a way to beat this let me know. DH
GWN7
Check with your bank, but what I did was set up a account within a account to receive paypay transfers. Anyone can transfer/deposit money to your account, but only you can authorise withdrawals.
bperry
I don't think I'd go to money orders. That would mean you
lose any sort of assisted arbitration if the deal goes sour and the seller
keeps your money and doesn't send you the merchandise.

I really like the idea of the authorized withdrawls.
Then there is no worry about Paypal having their fingers into your account.
Which bank has that?

I tried to get this but Compass Bank didn't support this a few years
back. Once you authorize drafts, they can go either way.

I would have throught that paypal would do a credit followed
by a debit to ensure that transfers were working each way.

Did you have to turn on the authorization feature *after*
paypal did their verification transfers?

I really like this. I think I'll ask around about this capability.

--- bill

smooth_eddy
Well after 7 weeks of fighting with my bank and pay pal, I am finally verified with Pay Pal. You have to get verified once you get to your $2k spending limit. What I did is give them an old account I had that has only $100 in it. I hated doing it but had no choice. Just another invasion or privacy in our lives.....Eddy
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Jun 10 2005, 08:10 AM)
I hated doing it but had no choice. Just another invasion or privacy in our lives.....Eddy

"Invasion of privacy"? Whiner ....... YOU chose to use their service and abide by their rules. They didn't force their services on you. If ya didn't like it, ya coulda walked ................ Just like the "rules of the road". By signing the driver's license application and accepting the license, you have agreed to obey ALL the rules. If you don't and you get caught for a major infraction, or a number of small ones, you have also agreed to surrender that license and not drive. Your choice. Paypal is a product for sale, with conditions for membership. If you can't abide by the conditions, forget the product. The Cap'n
GWN7
QUOTE (bperry @ Jun 7 2005, 11:12 PM)
I really like the idea of the authorized withdrawls.
Then there is no worry about Paypal having their fingers into your account.
Which bank has that?

Did you have to turn on the authorization feature *after*
paypal did their verification transfers?

I really like this. I think I'll ask around about this capability.

--- bill

I'm in Canada. Our banking system is slightly different than yours. Credit Union.

No to the authorization feature. As I said before, anyone can deposit $$ to your account, but only you can authorize a withdrawal. This can be by interact (the account has to be set up to allow this) or by cheque (has to be a chequeing account)

Best thing to do is check with your bank and ask them what can and can not be done with your account.

In the good old days banks bent the rules sometimes, but since 9/11 and the passing of consumer protection laws. Banks are on the hook if someone removes $$ from your account if you didn't authorize it.

This works both ways. My son had a cheque from the school board for $12 (he moved desks). I had him sign the back, gave him the $12 and deposited the cheque. A week later the bank called and said he had to be present, with ID and sign the cheque, before it could be deposited in my account. A new post 9/11 rule.

Same as credit cards. They used to be if someone got your card number you were on the hook for the charges, not the credit card company. Not anymore, credit card company eats the charges (they charge back the amounts to the retailer's account and the retailer eats the charges).
bd1308
what's wrong with being paypal verified? I saw it as a bonus when i sell things, bc people think higher of me selling stuff to them....i dunno, so far no arguments here.

somebody tell me whats wrong with being paypal verified?
Toast
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jun 7 2005, 07:37 PM)
The verified is only where they deposit two small amounts of money into your account that you signed up with, and you then tell the the exact amounts. It is basically a confirmation. The amounts they deposit are less than a dollar. It's no big deal. It's purpose is to weed out the scammers and non active users. Don't be afraid of it.

Probably 80% of the bad stories are OLD stories, before they switched hands. Paypal is the safest way to do anything on the net. I have had problems with a transaction, and had plenty of help from them getting it corrected.

agree.gif

Both amounts they verify are under a dollar or round-about.
iamchappy
I've never had a problem, always works smooth for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.