Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beautiful Day until...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MartyYeoman
Trans-axle go boom! headbang.gif
Guess I'm looking for a transmission rebuilder.
Any recommendations in the SF Bay Area? confused24.gif
Looking to get it up and running before the WCC.
Spoke
Dr. Evil?

Put it in a tub and ship it to him.
Valy
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Apr 21 2018, 06:09 PM) *

I have a gearbox that you can borrow in Livermore.
Enjoy!
MartyYeoman
I just may take you up on that offer. Side shift?
MartyYeoman
It's acting like something in the differential broke. Drained the transmission oil and it looked clean. Very little buildup on the plug magnet.
jim_hoyland
Dr Evil smile.gif agree.gif

What kinda boom happened ?
Valy
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Apr 21 2018, 06:47 PM) *

I just may take you up on that offer. Side shift?

Yes.
jtprettyman
QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 21 2018, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Apr 21 2018, 06:09 PM) *

I have a gearbox that you can borrow in Livermore.
Enjoy!

That’s why I love this forum.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 21 2018, 07:26 PM) *

What kinda boom happened ?

Just exited the freeway onto city streets, First stoplight clutch in, felt a jarring thud. Tried first gear, No move. Got out to push to curb, only able to roll the car about 10 to 12 inches before binding something up WTF.gif . Sat there and called 911. The cops and and sag wagon rescued me. Car is home now. It comes apart tomorrow.

Edit: I just did the math. By best estimate the unit has between 350-400K miles. I'm just glad its lasted as long as it has. Also glad it didn't lock up on the freeway literally 45 seconds earlier. That could have been a real mess.
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 21 2018, 09:22 PM) *

Dr. Evil?

Put it in a tub and ship it to him.

I'll second on Dr Evil. He did mine and it runs great. Just like new, whatever that was.
rgalla9146
No noises before ?....CV ?
Krieger
agree.gif
MartyYeoman
Definitely not a CV issue.
MartyYeoman
Gearbox is out. Anybody local informed/talented enough to help diagnose it? idea.gif
wndsrfr
Just scanned the FS ads here, looks like none available right now, but post a WTB or contact Craig at CAMP & just buy another one & install it. I scored one by going through Craigslist using one of the "all craig's" apps....only a 300 mile drive to pick it up for $275 & it works fine but YMMV....
Chris914n6
You can remove the big round piece on the side without messing anything up.

Like half the 914s were sold in Cali so won't be hard to find a working one or a rebuilder. California Motorsports in Lake Havasu AZ builds the Renegade boxes.
Mueller
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Apr 22 2018, 04:27 PM) *

Gearbox is out. Anybody local informed/talented enough to help diagnose it? idea.gif

Marty,

I would go online and see if you can look at the classifieds sections of the local PCA clubs, both Diablo and Golden Gate.

There is someone selling a bunch of 914 / 911 transmission parts and transmission tools on craigslist, I think he used to service transmissions, couldn't hurt to reach out to him.

Mike Bellis
Bummer... sad.gif
Dr Evil
Dang, that's a real bummer. Thanks for the recommendations, fellas smile.gif

Since it is out, you can pull the side cover and see if you have a pinion head. 19mm bolt to get flange off, then some 13mm nuts and tap it off. I see you drained it already, that is a must.

As for repair, definitely take member up on loaner transmission. This will keep you active and save you $$ in the long run. I have had to repair some of the ones done in the LA area by some shops, just FYI. If your pinion is toast, you will need a good used set and rebuilding with that will add $$$. I will guarantee that I can fix it and do it for less, including shipping. Hit me up if you are interested. Please post pics of what you find.
Mueller
If you need a hand dropping the transmission, I am off work for another few weeks and am free for a few hour here and there.
MartyYeoman
So I now know what killed my gearbox. One of the ring gear bolts failed. It took out my case. hissyfit.gif It looks as though I can still use the gear stacks as nothing is wrong with them (wear is the unknown variable, although I have kept up on oil changes and clutch adjustments). The ring and pinion gears have all their teeth and look OK but further inspection is still needed. Check out the pictures below.
halmil
Bob Grigsby at RMG in Sunnyvale worked on my transmission when I bought my car. He is retiring, but might still want to do special projects like this. He is still at the shop through the end of the month so you can reach him there in the mornings. Otherwise, you can speak to one of the Dan's there
McMark
Yup. hissyfit.gif

Some parts in there then they might be worth harvesting, so I wouldn't toss it, but regardless a whole new transmission is the easiest way to salvation. sad.gif
Dr Evil
Wow. Ya, that’s bad. A rebuilt core is your best bet now. Glad wasn’t worse.
JeffBowlsby
Marty if you need a few parts:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/d/fs-u...6569399761.html
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(halmil @ Apr 23 2018, 03:34 PM) *

Bob Grigsby at RMG in Sunnyvale ... is still at the shop through the end of the month so you can reach him there in the mornings.

Only M-Th. RMG doesn't open on Fridays, at least as of last year. Thankfully they're in walking distance of home for me, makes dealing with two finicky old Porsches easier. wink.gif

--DD
jeeperjohn56
Hey Marty, I have a side shift that I pulled on my second car it's dirty but I put I wrapped it up for the weather, how's a $150 sound I would deliver it but I just got out of hospital and I'm still recovering from it, I live in Antioch and available any day after 11:00 you can call me at 925-354-7370 my cell if I don't answer you can leave a message. John
wndsrfr
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Apr 24 2018, 08:26 PM) *

Hey Marty, I have a side shift that I pulled on my second car it's dirty but I put I wrapped it up for the weather, how's a $150 sound I would deliver it but I just got out of hospital and I'm still recovering from it, I live in Antioch and available any day after 11:00 you can call me at 925-354-7370 my cell if I don't answer you can leave a message. John

piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif cheer.gif driving-girl.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
We are the greatest community on the face of the earth!
MartyYeoman
Wow, I'm being flooded with gearbox offers lately. I just picked up one from Valy and now John. Thanks everybody!! Gotta love this place!! first.gif

Get well soon John. I'll call you later today.
Mueller
Marty, if you can get a deal done with John today, I can pick it up and deliver it to you this evening since I am heading to Fremont in a few hours.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 25 2018, 10:33 AM) *

Marty, if you can get a deal done with John today, I can pick it up and deliver it to you this evening since I am heading to Fremont in a few hours.

Mike,
Thanks for the offer. I sent off a PM requesting your cell number. Hopefully you'll see it before you leave home. John and I are good to go.
Marty
ottox914
Go with the Dr. I have a trans he did in my car and it’s never shifted better.
EdwardBlume
Let me know if you need a hand putting it in (the transmission).... I'm 10 minutes away.
porschetub
Not a common problem I would think......fast forward to the 80's VW Golf boxes had rivets and when they parted company the crownwheel would do a fairly successful job of an exit out the bottom of the gearcase.
The early diesel boxes were more prone to this ,I fitted one of these boxes to a project 2L GTI the rivets can loose after a short test drive,had to return home ASAP,the noise was nasty
Then in the 90's the 02A boxes did the same with the 20V GTI's and VR6's,this was finally corrected with the next version.
Appears the OP got good service after that mileage and now has a shed full of used boxes lol-2.gif ,great folks on this forum grouphug.gif .
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Apr 26 2018, 04:03 AM) *

Let me know if you need a hand putting it in (the transmission).... I'm 10 minutes away.

Thanks for the offer, Rob, but the replacement unit is already in the car. smash.gif Just need to install a few ancillary items and go for a test driving.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Apr 26 2018, 05:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Apr 26 2018, 04:03 AM) *

Thanks for the offer, Rob, but the replacement unit is already in the car. smash.gif Just need to install a few ancillary items and go for a test driving.gif

Did you pick up that one from John? If not mind if i pick it up as spare? PO of my car mentioned transmission issues.
MartyYeoman
It's alive!! smilie_pokal.gif
Valy
cheer.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.