Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Huey wins “Best in Class - Race Cars” at Cars on Kiawah
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
We were invited to show both Papa Smurf and Huey at the Cars on Kiawah peoples choice car show. Located on the beautiful Ocean Park in Kiawah Island, SC, it attracted over 240 cars with everything ranging from Model A’s (18 of them!!) to new McLarens, RESTO-mods, German, Italian, French, British, and a few Japanese... new and old cars. Plus, there was a Race Cars special group.

Dennis Gage was there shooting an episode for My Classic Car.

18 Race Cars were on display. Among them was a Gulf liveried GT40, an older car that raced and won The Great Race rally, a few pre-war era Bugatti’s, a Pro-Mod drag racer, a handful of Porsche’s, a custom one-off car from the 60’s that was very cool, a few other misc race/drag cars.....plus Papa Smurf and Huey.

Papa was registered under my name, Huey for Nadine. Toward the end of the show, these official looking people in proper southern gentleman sport jacket, white pants and plantation hats came over and ask “are you Nadine and is this your car?” When she said YES, they said “we need you to take the car go to the main tents to the trophy presentation, you’ve won your class!” At that point they gave her a ribbon, and off she went.

Very cool!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
naro914
More pictures. These are class winners....Our little 914 doesn’t seem to fit...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
URY914
Very cool! beer.gif
naro914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
beerchug.gif Congratulations on winning your class. Your cars are very nice. smilie_pokal.gif
jim_hoyland
smile.gif Very cool ! Thanks for sharing
campbellcj
Great work and congrats!
ClayPerrine
Congrats to both Nadine and Huey!

Dion
Congrats Bob & Nadine. Very nice. Oh and Huey too!
wndsrfr
Good show Nadine....you too, Bob! cheer.gif
914four
Congratulations!!! It is amazing to be able to show that well and still drive and race the way you do. I bet most of the other cars rarely see the light of day.

Kelvin
naro914
QUOTE(914four @ Apr 22 2018, 10:53 AM) *

Congratulations!!! It is amazing to be able to show that well and still drive and race the way you do. I bet most of the other cars rarely see the light of day.

Kelvin

Yep...scca hillclimb in a few weeks!!!
worn
I see a purple flame paint job in the future for Papa Smurf.
KELTY360
smilie_pokal.gif Huey has always been one of my favorite 914s. Someday maybe I'll get to see him in person. How did he get his name anyway?
mepstein
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 22 2018, 01:04 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Huey has always been one of my favorite 914s. Someday maybe I'll get to see him in person. How did he get his name anyway?

Bob has a great story about each of his cars on his website.
90quattrocoupe
Nicely done.
naro914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 22 2018, 01:04 PM) *

Like Mark said, details of the how and why of both cars are at www.naroescapemotorsports.com, click on About Us>NaroEscape Motorsports Cars, but the somewhat short answer is: we wanted to paint it the Sunoco yellow and blue of Mark Donahue’s winning 917 of that time. Since our other car had a nickname “Papa Smurf”, we needed something for this one. After a few adult beverages (don’t all stories contain adult beverages?), we thought about “Donahue”, but that sounded too formal next to a cartoon character Papa Smurf. Many adult beverages later, Dona-hue morphed into “Huey”, and it stuck.

To go to this show, the plan was load Papa into the trailer on Thursday and get Huey down from the lift where he’s been since the fall. I SWORE I had cleaned Huey up before we put him away....nope. So Friday morning, quick vacuum and some spray Final Inspection, then Nadine drove Huey from home to the show - about 5 hours. I trailered Papa Smurf. When we got there, we parked the cars and threw covers on them. In the morning I cleaned off the bugs, quick dusting and that’s about it.

And somehow, amazingly he won.... first.gif
abes914
Congratulations! first.gif
brant
Congrats!
barefoot
More from Kiawah: There must have been 25 Ferrari's in the parking area (probably a lot of Kiawah Island home owners)

Click to view attachment
naro914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Apr 23 2018, 04:56 PM) *

More from Kiawah: There must have been 25 Ferrari's in the parking area (probably a lot of Kiawah Island home owners)

Click to view attachment

Yep, that’s Herman Porters 914 he races in local vintage races. (And who we stayed with for the weekend)
The Ferraris that were parked along the road up near the German car display was the Charleston area Ferrari club going on a drive.
barefoot
More Kiawah eye candy:

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Congratz Bob, & against an impressive field! first.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.