Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Member Vendor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Years ago a 914World member made these and sold them in a group buy.
I’m trying to remember who that is ...
rhodyguy
Engman?
walterolin

i think it was dlee6204. He was active today.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(walterolin @ Apr 22 2018, 08:14 AM) *

That sounds familiar... I’ll contact and see if he would be up to making a torsion rod Tool
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 22 2018, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(walterolin @ Apr 22 2018, 08:14 AM) *

That sounds familiar... I’ll contact and see if he would be up to making a torsion rod Tool

Man, you have nice hand writing smile.gif
McMark
I can run these cheap, if he can't or doesn't want to.
Mikey914
I bought up a bunch of them and had plated to keep from rusting (the tie rod wrench) The problem I had was they were a little "soft" so I was not too happy about that. If McMark want to do up a run I'd be happy to distribute. i do have the tie rod one in stock $25.
-Mark
McMark
With 1" round tube for comfort. Thoughts?
BeatNavy
I'd buy it. This is on my to-do list (still sad.gif ) and would prefer to use something legit that will minimize the chance of losing a body part to which I'm attached.

Comfort handle looks nice smile.gif
McMark
The problem I had was they were a little "soft"

Emailed my laser shop to see if they have any recommendations for harder alloys or hardened material...
mepstein
Id buy a good quality one. I hate cheap tools.
LowBridge
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 23 2018, 12:25 PM) *

I'd buy it. This is on my to-do list (still sad.gif ) and would prefer to use something legit that will minimize the chance of losing a body part to which I'm attached.

Comfort handle looks nice smile.gif

I think this is the scariest thing we do on our 914’s. I had to weld up a crack in the mount a few weeks ago and messing with that torsion bar gives me nightmares.
McMark
Laser shop says they can do 3/8" AR500 Steel. Apparently that's the stuff they make shooting-targets out of so they last... yikes.gif
mmichalik
I'd buy one as well. This is coming up on my to do list and I'll need to tackle it soon enough.
914forme
I like, and I would love to have all three tools made up of better steel. I can welder.gif the tubes to the handles. That is a great Idea, I am going to borrow for my last few home made tools. I would suggest knurling the handles also. One extra step to the process, and a step that drives the cost up a bit.
ohbludvlsfan
I would buy all three.
Rand
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 23 2018, 08:14 AM) *

You could heat treat them. Just get them red hot and quench them in oil or water to harden.
bbrock
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 23 2018, 01:36 PM) *

You could heat treat them. Just get them red hot and quench them in oil or water to harden.

I tried that with mine and it still wanted to bend. I might have done it wrong, but got it red hot and then dunked in water. Then I beefed it up with some welding. Ugly and still a little soft, but managed to get the job done. I'm in for one made of "the right stuff."
McMark
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 23 2018, 03:36 PM) *

I'm pretty sure the alloy of the metal has a lot to do with the potential hardness. Different alloys have different 'peak hardness'. You can only do so much to mild steel.
Rand
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 23 2018, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 23 2018, 03:36 PM) *

I'm pretty sure the alloy of the metal has a lot to do with the potential hardness. Different alloys have different 'peak hardness'. You can only do so much to mild steel.

For sure. I just assumed these were made of steel. What else would they have used? Even mild steel can be hardened. Disclaimer: I wasn't pitching the perfect solution, just discussing ideas about what you could try and might really work.
JFJ914
Wasn't Racer Chris making these????
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 23 2018, 12:07 PM) *

agree.gif put me down for one also if these are going to be made.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Apr 24 2018, 09:06 AM) *

Wasn't Racer Chris making these????

I checked his webpage and didn't see them.
Mikey914
It wasn't Cris,
I can't remember who it was as I have so many messages I can only keep 2-3 years worth of PMs. I got hung with a bunch of these trying to help the guy out. I yellow zinc plated them to keep them from rusting in your tool box, and the 1st time I went to use it realized it was way soft. The did harden to a rockwell 70, but it was the alloy. Anyone need a big key chain?
914forme
I don't have a single 914 the uses the stock shock tops anymore. The Tie Rod tool I made my own. And the trunk spring tool I have one I made out of square tube and use a solid jack handle in it. Just remembered that one, I need to find it. the -6 has rollers that need replaced. Like to lube up the bolts while I am in there also.

Still down for some nicely made high quality tooling. I sure love my high quality tools. wub.gif
bulitt
Cut one of those trunk spring once to remove it. And even tho I wrapped it all up it scared the livin bejeebus out of me unsure.gif
johnhora
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 23 2018, 09:07 AM) *

agree.gif
McMark
Should have parts in hand next week. thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.