Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust popping on acceleration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Too much or not enough fuel?? still have not driven it yet, just doing the driveway tune with the LM-1

sure wish I knew what the heck I was doing tuning the FI....I make a change in one field, go too lean so the rpms go up and now i'm in another field wacko.gif

Joe Ricard
If it burns your eye brows it's too lean. If it burns your leg it's too rich. Well carbs will blow a fire ball at your eyebrows if too lean.
TimT
Mike start everything on the rich side.. hold the throttle steady at any given rpm, and lean the mixture till the engine smooths out, The engine will take off and go to a different RPM when you have a rpm/vacumm zone tuned...

then you choose another rpm ant get the engine to run smoothly

Do everything in small increments, unless you are absolutley sure about making major changes

After you have a few sites tuned, you can look at the 3D map and see where a trend is developing.

you can the adjust the rest of the map to follow the trend, and make fine adjustments

And the popping on accel makes me think your still to rich

McMark
Welcome to my HELL! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! happy11.gif

Skip all the dumbass stuff I've done so far and set up datalogging ASAP!
Mueller
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jun 7 2005, 07:03 PM)
If it burns your eye brows it's too lean. If it burns your leg it's too rich. Well carbs will blow a fire ball at your eyebrows if too lean.

burned the eyebrows once from carbs...did the old lets pour some gas into it and crank it over screwy.gif

thanks Tim.....I'll be giving that a try later on this week....

Mark,

wanna come on down on Saturday...I know a big willey burger has got to be calling your name chowtime.gif burger.gif
McMark
I'm out Saturday until Tuesday. sad.gif Then the week after is the grand opening. But let's count on the 19th.

Unless you have it perfected by then. lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
MecGen
Hi Mike
Whats yous running for ignition...

Sorry to complicate things... my gut says ignition.
Or if this is a SEFI system, there could be a mixmatch...

Back firing from the exhaust is not so much a rich situation, but rather a late incomplete combustion.

I don't know what system you have ?

Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (McMark @ Jun 8 2005, 12:41 AM)
I'm out Saturday until Tuesday. sad.gif Then the week after is the grand opening. But let's count on the 19th.

Unless you have it perfected by then. lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

well, thanks for the help....hahahaha biggrin.gif

I'll be working on it this Sat.....hope I figure it out....installing the FI is the easy part, the tuning just confuses me, even the MS tuning kicked my a$$ smile.gif

hmmmm, maybe I can tow it down to Tonys shop on Sunday, I think he knows what he is doing....

Joe,

My ignition is a Mallory distributor with a Mallory CDI box that is locked and controlled by the Link ECU

it seems to only backfire during quick accel, once rpm stabilized, no backfire.....

I'm still figuring out the software and how to adjust what wacko.gif

rhodyguy
mike, can you add a picture of the final linkage setup?

k
lapuwali
First, I'd get the spark timing right, just set a curve that duplicates the Mallory curve for grey/grey springs (look at their site, they have graphs) for a start.

Second, I'd get a base VE map programmed. Just set accel enrichment down as far as it will go, and drive around a bit using slow throttle rates, from idle up to redline, with varying loads, up and down hills. Once you have the base map, then start working on acceleration enrichment. A mistake seen on the MS site regularly is to end up compensating for a lean base map with too much accel enrichment, and it ends up confusing you later. If the Link has a learning mode, see if you can plug the LM-1 into the O2 sensor port and try to set a base map for 13.5:1 everywhere.

Having one person drive and the other run the laptop can speed things up. I may be free on Sat. Both of us are busy on Sun.
Mueller
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jun 8 2005, 11:29 AM)
First, I'd get the spark timing right, just set a curve that duplicates the Mallory curve for grey/grey springs (look at their site, they have graphs) for a start.

Second, I'd get a base VE map programmed. Just set accel enrichment down as far as it will go, and drive around a bit using slow throttle rates, from idle up to redline, with varying loads, up and down hills. Once you have the base map, then start working on acceleration enrichment. A mistake seen on the MS site regularly is to end up compensating for a lean base map with too much accel enrichment, and it ends up confusing you later. If the Link has a learning mode, see if you can plug the LM-1 into the O2 sensor port and try to set a base map for 13.5:1 everywhere.

Having one person drive and the other run the laptop can speed things up. I may be free on Sat. Both of us are busy on Sun.

no "learning" feature on the Link............

good idea on the accel, I'll pull it all out to eliminate that problem....

If I don't get anywhere on Sat, I'll be taking the car to Vic at Sias Tuning on Tuesday, he is an Electromotive guru, but has tweaked a car with the Link in the past.

McMark
Dammit, you're not going to learn anything. tongue.gif Is Vic going to let you watch and learn? Or will it be a drop off/pick up situation?
TimT
Mike gimme a call... you still have my # correctamundo?

Ill walk you through tuning the car..

No need to go to an outside tuner
Mueller
QUOTE (McMark @ Jun 8 2005, 05:41 PM)
Dammit, you're not going to learn anything. tongue.gif Is Vic going to let you watch and learn? Or will it be a drop off/pick up situation?

actually I called Vic a few hours ago and cancelled the appointment, I cannot take the time off from work and I started to think about not learning from passing it on to someone else...even if I stood there and watched I wouldn't learn as much as doing it myself...

thanks Tim, I should still have your number, I'll try and give you a call tom. evening since it's pretty late right now for you....
bernbomb914
some times a small exhaust leak will cause a popping sound also.

Bernie
DNHunt
Mike

It's lean. Get it idling first. If there are any settings for pulsewidth modulation for low impedence injectors get that set so you don't cook your injectors That involves decreasing the current until the idle starts to get crappy they going back up a little. Then start datalogging so you can look at stuff. Pay attention to the O2 but, don't get too hung up on the numbers. The things bounce around alot and aren't perfect. You'll get a feel for when the engine is right. I'm tuning WOT right now in the 10 range on my car. The O2 is off that much. I know because it just won't run well leaner.

Check the warm up enrichments. That's caused me grief a bunch of times. I don't know what you are using for that but, more that once the sensor hasn't been read and the car just won't start cause it's stinking rich.

Take out accel enrichments when you are tuning the fueling map. I usually find a nice hill and use 3rd gear cause it gives a nice slow pull. I have a couple hills I go to every few days when i'm tuning. Don't want to piss the people off too much.

Good luck

Dave
Mueller
If the Link has a learning mode, see if you can plug the LM-1 into the O2 sensor port and try to set a base map for 13.5:1 everywhere.

no "learning" mode as I mentioned earlier, but for some reason until I read the post again and read the manual for the LM-1 and the Link again did I realize I can take the output from the LM-1 and input it into the Link and do the datalogging directly with the Link.........I can be so stuuuupid sometimes screwy.gif

it helps to read and read again the manuals to fully grasp what can do what wacko.gif

I'll still be calling you later this evening Tim if you don't mind smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.