Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Caliper Parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aggiezig
Does anyone know of a source to find replacement pistons? I'm taking my calipers apart now and the top of one of the pistons is trash. I have a late car and it looks like the piston diameter is 42mm. I know there is some cross over between VW Type 3 and VW Buses.

I tried the ATE classic site but it looks like they don't actually have caliper parts, just pads / rotors / etc. I also looked through PMB's website but didn't see anything listed.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
TravisNeff
Here.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/porsche...per+piston,1724

mepstein
Call Eric at pmb. He has tons of spare parts. Not everything is on his site.
aggiezig
Thanks, guys. 914World always comes through!
toolguy
look here. . lot's of quality kits
. . . even though in England, I got quick shipping. .
http://stores.ebay.com/Bigg-Red-Ltd?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
aggiezig
I tried the Centric parts from RockAuto. (Of course I missed Mikey914's PM about his aluminum pistons until after I placed the order...) wacko.gif

The parts showed up tonight but don't appear to quite right for my calipers. The big thing I noticed is that the new pistons don't have anywhere for the "guide rod" inside of the caliper bore.

IPB Image

Also, it seems like the slot for the pad clip isn't near as deep on the new piston.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Is this an early / late caliper thing? The years on RockAuto included my car but could easily be wrong. Or, are these pistons just plain wrong?
McMark
I wouldn't try to make them work, and they won't work without breaking the pin out. I'd get a used piston.
mepstein
I just talked to Eric at PMB yesterday. I’m sure he can help you out with the right parts.
aggiezig
Returned my parts to RockAuto and called PMB. Have a set of (4) refinished pistons on the way. Thanks, everyone for the tips.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.