Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa sail / roll bar trim question (updated with another question)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wyvern
I am resetting my window and doing the sail vinyl.

Question is regarding the orientation of the rear roll bar sail clip for the larger trim piece.
The part has a kink to it and I am after info on installing it correctly.
#4 is the clip into #3

Does the kink face inboard or out ?
Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
Kink faces the rear of the car and the sail trim's bottom edges slide in under the kink.
Wyvern
Great ... thank you
Wyvern
Now another question , this one is interesting.
I purchased new bottom sail trim strips. These are "Porsche" items
They are a different size than the old ones ???

If I line up the door side and lining up the mounting clips to the holes, the curved end is off. About 8mm taller and 5mm shorter.
To use this I would need to custom bend the end at the curved end & it would then not line up with the large rear trim piece.

Confused ... and disappointing that i can't use the new trim.
Were all years models the same ?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Where's the trim from?

The problem with the trim is that its flimsy. I haven't seen it bend wrong where you are showing, so it's likely a flawed piece.
Wyvern
Porsche part #s with what looks to be real Porsche labels and info (purchased from AA)
Both left and right side are shorter and "taller at the bend".

So thinking it isn't a one off error. I will contact the vendor to return ... or they can try to send me another set for inspection.
Mine is fairly good, Yes it is flimsy but both old and new are straight, this wont line up well with the large rear targa trim as it is too short.
the blue tape is my marker for where the vinyl was.
If I use it I'll have a bad looking paint edge now visible.

The bend is so tall that I considered re drilling the clip holes ... but it would still be to short to line up and it then is past the hip crease.

porschetub
Not sure but my car is what they call later and the tabs on the trim are the longer of the 2 you show.
You can't really bend the trim which is easy to do,however the anodizing will most like crack or have stress marks.
Someone on here told me that if you have an issue your are better contacting the self appointed DR himself with a issue direct, try that ,can't really remember but something like dr@autoatlanta.com George is been busy on here lately I'am sure he will sort it, great guy smile.gif .
Mikey914
The bends should be the same. These are not correct.
rhodyguy
Call AA, explain the issue and the have part replaced at their expense. Poor QC.
Wyvern
Followup.
I contacted AA and explained what was happening.
The very helpful person got an Original and the Porsche new part of the shelf.
They confirmed that the turn was sooner and that made the end taller.
His suggestion was to just bend it ...
This is a two sided edge rolled piece that is then bent in the needed curve.
It would be VERY challenging to bend to what was needed. (you would most likely kink / bend it trying to do that)
Tried bending a old take off I had and I could not do it.

If you are redoing your sail and need this piece of trim do NOT but the "Porsche" new part.

I am returning mine .
mepstein
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Apr 30 2018, 06:25 PM) *

Followup.
I contacted AA and explained what was happening.
The very helpful person got an Original and the Porsche new part of the shelf.
They confirmed that the turn was sooner and that made the end taller.
His suggestion was to just bend it ...
This is a two sided edge rolled piece that is then bent in the needed curve.
It would be VERY challenging to bend to what was needed. (you would most likely kink / bend it trying to do that)
Tried bending a old take off I had and I could not do it.

If you are redoing your sail and need this piece of trim do NOT but the "Porsche" new part.

I am returning mine .

Sounds like AA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.