Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennshifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfinegan
I have a Rennshifter installed with center console and carpet , etc, I want to change the Shifter Throw from the lower hole to the top hole to reduce the amount of shifter travel. In directions it say to remove the shifter (PITA) Can this be done with the shifter installed in the car? Also Is anyone running with 4/5 left gate spring removed? Seems Heavy (without shims) Maybe I am just used to the old with no spring on that side??? If I pull the spring, do I pull the button out too?

-Robert

Reverse, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... Are just AWESOME

-Robert
bdstone914
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Apr 24 2018, 06:08 AM) *

I have a Rennshifter installed with center console and carpet , etc, I want to change the Shifter Throw from the lower hole to the top hole to reduce the amount of shifter travel. In directions it say to remove the shifter (PITA) Can this be done with the shifter installed in the car? Also Is anyone running with 4/5 left gate spring removed? Seems Heavy (without shims) Maybe I am just used to the old with no spring on that side??? If I pull the spring, do I pull the button out too?

-Robert

-Robert

Why assk the manufacturer ?
JWest Engineering 817-888-1488 order@jwesteng.com
rfinegan
Thanks did not see the phone on the web page...

Best

-Robert

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 24 2018, 05:37 AM) *

-Robert

-Robert

Steve
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Apr 24 2018, 06:38 AM) *

Thanks did not see the phone on the web page...

Best

-Robert

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 24 2018, 05:37 AM) *

-Robert

-Robert

Google rennshift and it will bring up a ton of information, pictures, etc. I have a rennshift. To move the bolt to the top hole, you also have to move the two washers/spacers to the top hole. Very hard to do with the shifter in the car. Gravity will most likely cause the washers to fall into the tunnel. You might get lucky if there is enough grease to prevent them from falling. You can remove the spring, but then the shifter will no longer be spring loaded to the center plane. Usually just removing the washers from the spring assembly is good enough.
stugray
I have mine set to have springs only on the R - 1 side.

So 2-3 & 4-5 are unrestricted.
I seem to recall grinding one of the spacers to go in with the spring to get the exact side travel I wanted on that side.

Mine is a 71 converted to SS though and my shifter rod was rubbing in the tunnel and I needed to inhibit side travel a little.

A trick i recently learned: I put my GoPro (with wifi) on a tripod and stuck in under the rear of the car looking right at the shifter console on the trans.
Then I sat in the driver's seat with my cellphone watching the shifter as I made adjustments. I was able to get it better than ever with that method without even leaving the garage.

Oh and once you get it all adjusted, use the set screws in the front & rear of the shifter to set the max forward & aft travel to barely outside what you should ever need.

You want to remove the capability to force the shift rod any further than necessary (distorted couplings, damaged bushings, and bent shift rods)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.