Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sound proofing, capet and glue questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John90290
I spent all this time getting the floor pan to bare metal, fixing rust area, removing seam sealer and POr15'ing the entire deck now it's time to add carpet and sound proofing and I feel I'm going to cover up all my hard work?

Should I use the dynamat type stuff and go with the original tar stuff?

If I add sound deading material behind the seat will the back pad fit?

Did everyone else just glue their carpet down? Getting the old stuff off was a bigger pain than cutting welding the rust patches.

Looking to see what you folks have done.

Thank!

mepstein
use new products like dynomat or similar. Don't put the old tar back on. It was a product of the 60's. 40-50 years later, we have better stuff. There was a oem heavy rubber sheet behind the backpad so you will have room to put new material there. Make templates for everything, see how it looks and then cut the material to shape.
Olympic 914
Eastwood Xmat works pretty good. cut paper patterns first to fit, then cut xmat with scissors. It helps to warm it up a little before putting it on. its more flexible and sticks better. I just waved it over the kerosene heater for a couple seconds to warm it up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

jim_hoyland
Where can the X-mat be purchased ?
howlndog
The Eastwood product is a sound deadener that is intended to minimize the resonance of the metal panels its applied to. I've used a similar product (but thicker) with great results - that appears to be cheaper (I didn't calculate shipping).

noico sound deadener
iankarr
FYI, foil sound vibration damper material does not require full coverage (unless you're also using it to seal and/or you like the look). 50% is usually what the manufacturers recommend. Then follow that up with 100% coverage of a closed cell sound isolating foam or the like. Here's a link to the "sound deadener showdown" which details what works and what doesn't...

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

aggiezig
I also purchased some Noico off of amazon for pretty cheap. I haven't installed it yet.

I've read in a few places that you don't have to completely cover the surface to achieve sound deadening. I'm debating if I will do that or not. I prefer the look of full coverage, but also it's going to be covered up 99% of the time so I don't know that it actually matters.
daytona
I am in the process of installing sound deadening material and carpet on my car.
For sound deadening I used the Dynomat product covering maybe 50% of the surface. Even without the additional benefit of the carpet it made a tremendous difference. As for adhesive for the carpet, many here recommended a 3M product available at local auto parts stores. I am using an adhesive purchased from a carpet and upholstery store only because I have had good results with it and had leftover cans of it from a previous project. It is definitely worth while installing the sound deadening material.
Good luck with your project.
Rand
QUOTE(John90290 @ Apr 24 2018, 08:54 AM) *

I spent all this time getting the floor pan to bare metal, fixing rust area, removing seam sealer and POr15'ing the entire deck now it's time to add carpet and sound proofing and I feel I'm going to cover up all my hard work?

Did everyone else just glue their carpet down? Getting the old stuff off was a bigger pain than cutting welding the rust patches.

Thank!

This is where you enter the zone of "who do you want to ride with you."

When my first 914 had every bit of tar, deadening materials, sound pads, yada yada removed, AND with the rear window out, it was a very obnoxious ride. But I loved it. All my friends and kids loved it. But most women don't. Find good ones.

You don't do a 914 if you want a quiet and creature-comfort car! Buy a freaking Ford Fiesta Turbo if you want it all.

Make it yours.

As for mine, light weight is a key factor, so I will never add sound deadening = heavy "frosting" materials that poop onto my clean car and take away from how it handles.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
light glue only on the rocker and left and right wheel well pieces

Use the original six piece floor pan tar kit. Self sticks and beaten into place with a bit of heat and a rubber hammer, then paint factory color

QUOTE(John90290 @ Apr 24 2018, 09:54 AM) *

Thank!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.