Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: rear springs and shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
BENBRO02
My stock rear springs are sagging and my stock rear shocks are leaking. I'm looking for a nice pair of used Bilsteins and some springs (100 lb) in good condition. It looks like new would cost close to $500.
Lucky9146
I have these, I believe the green stripe is stock. PM if interested

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Apr 24 2018, 07:11 PM) *

My stock rear springs are sagging and my stock rear shocks are leaking. I'm looking for a nice pair of used Bilsteins and some springs (100 lb) in good condition. It looks like new would cost close to $500.

What year is the car and what rear shocks are on it now? Early cars have a shorter and smaller diameter coil. Finding rear bilsteins will be tough as they were rare as a factory. What is on the front? You may be better to go with stock Boge. I have springs and a nice set of Koni externally adjustable shocks for sale.
Sea Dragon 914
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Apr 24 2018, 06:11 PM) *

I have a set of KYBs with springs (not sure what they are but can check to see if they are stock or aftermarket when I get home) that you can have for the price of shipping if you like. I think they are in good condition.

If you want them, let me know.

Richard
BENBRO02
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 25 2018, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Apr 24 2018, 07:11 PM) *

What year is the car and what rear shocks are on it now? Early cars have a shorter and smaller diameter coil. Finding rear bilsteins will be tough as they were rare as a factory. What is on the front? You may be better to go with stock Boge. I have springs and a nice set of Koni externally adjustable shocks for sale.

It's a 1975 and I believe it has the original shocks and springs on all four corners. The car is currently in the shop so I don't know for sure. What rate are your springs and how much for for both?
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Sea Dragon 914 @ Apr 25 2018, 11:37 AM) *

I have a set of KYBs with springs (not sure what they are but can check to see if they are stock or aftermarket when I get home) that you can have for the price of shipping if you like. I think they are in good condition.

If you want them, let me know.

Richard

Thanks for the offer but I've been told to stay away from KYBs on other threads.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 24 2018, 11:04 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thanks for the offer but I'm trying to make the car more firm than stock.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Apr 25 2018, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Apr 24 2018, 11:04 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thanks for the offer but I'm trying to make the car more firm than stock.

icon_bump.gif
bdstone914
If you want to stiffen it up have you considered adding stiffer springs in the rear? Like 140 LB?
What are you doing in the front ?
Stock Boge? Bilstein ? I dounbt you will find used rear Bilstein. I have sold used 914 parts for more than 10 years and have never had a pair.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 26 2018, 09:35 PM) *

If you want to stiffen it up have you considered adding stiffer springs in the rear? Like 140 LB?
Stock Boge? Bilstein ? I dounbt you will find used rear Bilstein. I have sold used 914 parts for more than 10 years and have never had a pair.

Aren't 100 lb. springs stiffer than stock? It's kind of hard to figure what I want without driving various setups. I thought slightly stiffer than stock would be good but didn't want to go too harsh. I will eventually have Bilsteins on all four corners but I'm paying college tuition at the moment.

If nobody sells used rear Bilsteins they must be great!
bdstone914
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Apr 28 2018, 05:00 PM) *

Aren't 100 lb. springs stiffer than stock? It's kind of hard to figure what I want without driving various setups. I thought slightly stiffer than stock would be good but didn't want to go too harsh. I will eventually have Bilsteins on all four corners but I'm paying college tuition at the moment.

Stock springs are about 100 LB. Bilstein were a rare option. When some one buys them new they usually keep them.
Just get replacement springs now if you are on a budget. Are the shock bad? It is hard to tell without removing them and testing by hand.
BTW spend your money where if counts most. Higher education is over rated. poke.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 28 2018, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Apr 28 2018, 05:00 PM) *

Stock springs are about 100 LB. Bilstein were a rare option. When some one buys them new they usually keep them.
Just get replacement springs now if you are on a budget. Are the shock bad? It is hard to tell without removing them and testing by hand.
BTW spend your money where if counts most. Higher education is over rated. poke.gif

Please correct me if i’m wrong! I thought a spring will still be useable as long the body does not sag yet and still in good height. And if the body bounces when you push the body down or it bounce on bumpy road, then you just need to replace the shocks of the rear. Front is different since there is no springs. Offcourse new springs and shocks for the rear and insert for the front strut is a lot better if you have a budget.
bdstone914

Please correct me if i’m wrong! I thought a spring will still be useable as long the body does not sag yet and still in good height. And if the body bounces when you push the body down or it bounce on bumpy road, then you just need to replace the shocks of the rear. Front is different since there is no springs. Offcourse new springs and shocks for the rear and insert for the front strut is a lot better if you have a budget.
[/quote]

Most shocks can not be tested on the car to know if they are good. If totally shot you will get excessive bounce.
I just removed and tested two sets of Koni rear shocks. On shock had no resistance in either direction. The other shock had leaked internal so when the shaft was fully compressed if was limp the last 3" of travel, not something that would be obvious with the bounce test.
They need to be removed and tested for compression and rebound off of the car without springs. I try to feel if both shocks have the same feel to compression and rebound.
mepstein
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Apr 29 2018, 09:53 AM' post='2603854']
[/quote]

Most shocks can not be tested on the car to know if they are good. If totally shot you will get excessive bounce.
I just removed and tested two sets of Koni rear shocks. On shock had no resistance in either direction. The other shock had leaked internal so when the shaft was fully compressed if was limp the last 3" of travel, not something that would be obvious with the bounce test.
They need to be removed and tested for compression and rebound off of the car without springs. I try to feel if both shocks have the same feel to compression and rebound.
[/quote]
I've purchased some used Boge shocks from Bruce / Bedstone that were in good shape. Most people don't remove their Bilsteins for something else. Rear Bilsteins are adjustable for height.
It's worth it to buy new springs so you get the height and weight you want.
bdstone914

I've purchased some used Boge shocks from Bruce / Bedstone that were in good shape. Most people don't remove their Bilsteins for something else. Rear Bilsteins are adjustable for height.
It's worth it to buy new springs so you get the height and weight you want.
[/quote]

Bedstone ? Sounds like something from the Flintstones ( no relation)
Thanks Mark, my screenname is bdstone914. Same for email at AOL.COM
73-914
Auto-Correct is fun sometimes
stoneman18969

I have a set of adjustable koni on my parts car,I will check to see if there good
Have 140 welts on my car for 20 miles that I will be removing next week
Koni are rusty but if there good I'll sell ya the welts and koni for $ 160 shipped
drifter914
I have a pair of new weltmeister 100 # springs (stiffer than stock) plus new Boge shocks assembled with perches ready to bolt in available if you're interested ?
$250. plus shipping from Az.
terry

Click to view attachment
BENBRO02
QUOTE(drifter914 @ Apr 29 2018, 09:08 PM) *

I have a pair of new weltmeister 100 # springs (stiffer than stock) plus new Boge shocks assembled with perches ready to bolt in available if you're interested ?
$250. plus shipping from Az.
terry

Click to view attachment

Sold. How much is shipping to 20181 and how do I pay you?
BENBRO02
QUOTE(stoneman18969 @ Apr 29 2018, 03:22 PM) *

I have a set of adjustable koni on my parts car,I will check to see if there good
Have 140 welts on my car for 20 miles that I will be removing next week
Koni are rusty but if there good I'll sell ya the welts and koni for $ 160 shipped

I'm going to get the Boge and Weltmeister combo offered by Drifter914. Thank you for the help.
drifter914
thanks Benbro... will get you a shipping quote today, hopefully.
Terry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.