Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So Cal Transmission Clinic May 26
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tdskip
QUOTE(yeahmag @ May 3 2018, 12:20 PM) *

I just wrote SMC a thank you letter and let them know we will be having the event at another location. They hadn't declined yet, but reportedly were having trouble getting volunteers for the event on a holiday weekend. They were very open and truly excited about supporting us and building a relationship. I hope we can do something with them in the future.

Absolutely - have a couple other group tech day ideas after a successful way with the Evil Doctor.
ValcoOscar
Oh..oh

I received an invite for a memorial day gathering for the same day as clinic.

I said I couldn't make it because I had a Dr appt. av-943.gif

piratenanner.gif

I didn't lie...
Steve
So is this one day or two days and which day?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Steve @ May 5 2018, 06:54 PM) *

So is this one day or two days and which day?

Gonne do it all on Sat per request of the participants. Totally doable.
iankarr
So glad to see this clinic fill up. You guys will have a blast. Everyone at the Virginia clinic finished in one day. About 12 hours, but time flies when you’re turning wrenches, sniffing acetone and breaking balls.

Dr Evil
If you are desiring a new 1/R slider, and/or bearings, please let me know. I already had a 10 pack of bearings sent to my friends house in SD to meet me there. I am planning to get another 4 (one person I know said he did not need/want them). Sliders, I only recall that two definitely wanted them, and I annotated such in 1st post. I will update with what yall post in reply.

Some fun times with parts....914 seal kits are out of stock in the whole US. Pelican lists the genuine Porsche for $101 (regular about $40), but those also need to be ordered from Germany. Fortunately, the 1970 911 set is almost the same. I have a friend working on it and will be making them work. I went through all the kit parts, verified part numbers and dimensions, and will order seals that are different or not included. Not sure on price, but should be <$65. I do have 5 seal kits for 914, and several for early 911/912 so those guys are in good shape. Stay tuned.
Dr Evil
Also, with our last addition of 914sgofast2, we are full. Cutting it off at 15.
garrettlee2
Can I get on stand by?
Boomingbeetle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 5 2018, 10:01 PM) *

Some fun times with parts....914 seal kits are out of stock in the whole US. Pelican lists the genuine Porsche for $101 (regular about $40), but those also need to be ordered from Germany. Fortunately, the 1970 911 set is almost the same. I have a friend working on it and will be making them work. I went through all the kit parts, verified part numbers and dimensions, and will order seals that are different or not included. Not sure on price, but should be <$65. I do have 5 seal kits for 914, and several for early 911/912 so those guys are in good shape. Stay tuned.

I have no experience with Vertrex Auto, but they show seal kits in stock:

https://www.vertexauto.com/manual-transmiss...set-c-2169.aspx

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Boomingbeetle @ May 6 2018, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 5 2018, 10:01 PM) *

I have no experience with Vertrex Auto, but they show seal kits in stock:

https://www.vertexauto.com/manual-transmiss...set-c-2169.aspx

Click to view attachment

They all do. They also all get them from the same few suppliers. I even bought some on eBay and the order was cancelled a few days later because they couldn’t get any. No worries
Dr Evil
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ May 6 2018, 01:47 AM) *

Can I get on stand by?

Man, I’m not sure how to could be accomplished. If we have an easy up we can have shade and someone can work in the driveway just outside of the garage. We have done that before.
yeahmag
I have a piece of shit shad tent I can donate to this.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 25 2018, 10:32 AM) *

Updated 5/2/18 after talking with 914 ZR-1. Things are a go and looking great! Read below, some stuff has changed.

When:
The current plan is to do Sat and Sun, 9 am to whenever. I can likely finish in one day if you are motivated, probably about 10pm.

May 26-27 at the Santa Clarita, near Magic Mountain. I am limiting class size to 13-15 participants. We will have a 3 car garage bay (plenty, trust me), can work on food, take out, what ever.

Cost to participate:
$300/builder. Builders 18 and under are free. Only one transmission per builder. Spectators are free, and yes you can take notes, pics, and ask questions. Cost includes new stainless hardware for your build, rags, acetone or break cleaner for cleaning, gloves (I'll need sizes to get right qty), cleaning trays.

Parts:
To help cover the cost of the time off from my day job, travel, lodging, etc, I encourage you to buy parts from me whenever possible. I will have a stock of good used parts on hand, will show you how to determine when a part is not serviceable, and will show you have to save some $$ on a rebuild since you are doing the work yourself. I have moved away from using used bearings as I have lost confidence in them over the last few years. More are failing, and I never want one that I recommend to end up like that. As such, I have managed to secure all of the main input shaft and pinion bearings (4 total) for a deep discount (Retail currently about $1100). I will need orders and payment as promptly as possible to secure a set in the order I will have to make for this event. Contact me to get that ball rolling. I do not expect to have bearings available at the event other than those pre purchased. Also, discount only applies to students of the clinic, and for those whom I do rebuilds for (aka, I don't retail to the public). I will also have access to 1/R sliders (for you 5 speed boxes) for $300 (retail about $500).

Tools:
All special tools will be provided at the clinic. You will need nothing special: 19mm socket, 13mm socket, small hammer, small sledge. Tools to have if you have them handy would be some drifts/punches, deep 30mm socket, breaker bar, 32mm boxed end wrench, MAP or propane torch, seal drivers, wire brushes, cordless impact drivers, work bench/table (cheap plastic folding ones from Walmart and similar work just fine and accommodate up to 3 builders, but we have many 914 folks bringing tables as well), rags, break cleaner and or acetone. If you are willing to share your tools, that would be great and save me shipping heavy metal items that are rather common in most of our tool collections.

Prep:
Clean your case the best you can. You will be happier for it, our host will as well. Do not pressure wash it. You will get water in, it will cause rust. Bet me. Don't sand blast it...worse than water. DO NOT take it completely apart as you will lose the setting for the ring and pinion and that will mean I will need to reset that stuff and that is not happening at the clinic. Setting r/p takes expensive tools, and lots of time and parts that are not conducive to a clinic setting. This is something I do at my home shop on customer rebuilds. DO, please, take off the side cover and inspect your ring and pinion. If these are roached, you will not be able to build this transmission at the clinic because changing the r/p requires the aforementioned special tools and time. If you are unsure of your pinion, take a pic and post it up for evaluation and so we can all learn something. Other than popping off the side cover and inspecting the r/p, and cleaning some of the schmutz off of the case, please be sure to drain it. Although, when you check the r/p you will drain it one way or another. Not expecting disposal facilities for oils on site.

OK, I think that is everything, but if I get more questions I will update this post to answer it for everyone. I will also start an attendance roster in this post to keep things up to date.

Looking forward to this!

Check out my sig below for links to past clinics, or google search 914world to find even more threads.

Attendance list 5/3/18:

BoomingBeetle - 1/rsl, bearings, seals - deposit received
ValcoOscar
yeahmaq - April will build it since he wont be able to stay :mrs.K.gif:
Tdskip
mtndawg
914 RZ-1 - bearings, 1/rsl
forrestkhaag
John90290
Kevinhunter
Gothspeed
Steve Maas (912bbs)
Don-6
Daniel Albarran (912bbs)
kahluvr- 1/r, bearings, seals

Dr Evil
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 6 2018, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 25 2018, 10:32 AM) *

Updated 5/2/18 after talking with 914 ZR-1. Things are a go and looking great! Read below, some stuff has changed.

When:
The current plan is to do Sat and Sun, 9 am to whenever. I can likely finish in one day if you are motivated, probably about 10pm.

May 26-27 at the Santa Clarita, near Magic Mountain. I am limiting class size to 13-15 participants. We will have a 3 car garage bay (plenty, trust me), can work on food, take out, what ever.

Cost to participate:
$300/builder. Builders 18 and under are free. Only one transmission per builder. Spectators are free, and yes you can take notes, pics, and ask questions. Cost includes new stainless hardware for your build, rags, acetone or break cleaner for cleaning, gloves (I'll need sizes to get right qty), cleaning trays.

Parts:
To help cover the cost of the time off from my day job, travel, lodging, etc, I encourage you to buy parts from me whenever possible. I will have a stock of good used parts on hand, will show you how to determine when a part is not serviceable, and will show you have to save some $$ on a rebuild since you are doing the work yourself. I have moved away from using used bearings as I have lost confidence in them over the last few years. More are failing, and I never want one that I recommend to end up like that. As such, I have managed to secure all of the main input shaft and pinion bearings (4 total) for a deep discount (Retail currently about $1100). I will need orders and payment as promptly as possible to secure a set in the order I will have to make for this event. Contact me to get that ball rolling. I do not expect to have bearings available at the event other than those pre purchased. Also, discount only applies to students of the clinic, and for those whom I do rebuilds for (aka, I don't retail to the public). I will also have access to 1/R sliders (for you 5 speed boxes) for $300 (retail about $500).

Tools:
All special tools will be provided at the clinic. You will need nothing special: 19mm socket, 13mm socket, small hammer, small sledge. Tools to have if you have them handy would be some drifts/punches, deep 30mm socket, breaker bar, 32mm boxed end wrench, MAP or propane torch, seal drivers, wire brushes, cordless impact drivers, work bench/table (cheap plastic folding ones from Walmart and similar work just fine and accommodate up to 3 builders, but we have many 914 folks bringing tables as well), rags, break cleaner and or acetone. If you are willing to share your tools, that would be great and save me shipping heavy metal items that are rather common in most of our tool collections.

Prep:
Clean your case the best you can. You will be happier for it, our host will as well. Do not pressure wash it. You will get water in, it will cause rust. Bet me. Don't sand blast it...worse than water. DO NOT take it completely apart as you will lose the setting for the ring and pinion and that will mean I will need to reset that stuff and that is not happening at the clinic. Setting r/p takes expensive tools, and lots of time and parts that are not conducive to a clinic setting. This is something I do at my home shop on customer rebuilds. DO, please, take off the side cover and inspect your ring and pinion. If these are roached, you will not be able to build this transmission at the clinic because changing the r/p requires the aforementioned special tools and time. If you are unsure of your pinion, take a pic and post it up for evaluation and so we can all learn something. Other than popping off the side cover and inspecting the r/p, and cleaning some of the schmutz off of the case, please be sure to drain it. Although, when you check the r/p you will drain it one way or another. Not expecting disposal facilities for oils on site.

OK, I think that is everything, but if I get more questions I will update this post to answer it for everyone. I will also start an attendance roster in this post to keep things up to date.

Looking forward to this!

Check out my sig below for links to past clinics, or google search 914world to find even more threads.

Attendance list 5/3/18:

BoomingBeetle - 1/rsl, bearings, seals - deposit received
ValcoOscar
yeahmaq - April will build it since he wont be able to stay :mrs.K.gif:
Tdskip
mtndawg
914 RZ-1 - bearings, 1/rsl
forrestkhaag
John90290
Kevinhunter
Gothspeed
Steve Maas (912bbs)
Don-6
Daniel Albarran (912bbs)
kahluvr- 1/r, bearings, seals

Oops, trying to update on phone
garrettlee2
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 6 2018, 11:03 AM) *

Can I get on stand by?

Man, I’m not sure how to could be accomplished. If we have an easy up we can have shade and someone can work in the driveway just outside of the garage. We have done that before.

If you would be willing I can birng my own table and tent I just started reading this thread and would love to take part. plus I can bring an extra transmission for parts.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ May 7 2018, 12:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 6 2018, 11:03 AM) *

Can I get on stand by?

If you would be willing I can birng my own table and tent I just started reading this thread and would love to take part. plus I can bring an extra transmission for parts.

Ill see what we can swing. An extra transmission helps you, but is not much use to me as I sell the parts from boxes I have parted in order to cover the cost of taking off work, travel, etc to put on the class wink.gif Wrote a very large check for bearings, just added 5 more for a total of 15 sets. I am not certain if I can get all the needed parts and have the room in the limited time before the clinic. Ill look into it.
Dr Evil
OK, just got confirmation on seal kits. Not much more than the 914 set. Ill have final prices in a while.

garrettlee2 has been contacted, and I think my count was off as he would be #15. See if your name is missing and you were supposed to attend.

Yes, a pop up would be useful no matter what.

Thanks for being typical, great, a/c Porsche guys! Looking forward to this.
914 RZ-1
Did anyone ever get ahold of the two 912 guys?
jcd914
I stopped by my friend's shop to get a tail housing gasket for my 914 transmission and I told him that trans gasket sets were in short supply.

Anyway, he checked stock at Worldpac and they are out of stock.
But IMC shows stock at multiple warehouses, so maybe some of the vendors that show stock get them from IMC.

He has 3 gasket sets on the shelf and couple folders with loose gaskets left over from sets, so I dug through the leftovers and found a tail housing gasket. I'm only swapping one tail housing for another.

Jim
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 7 2018, 11:35 PM) *

I stopped by my friend's shop to get a tail housing gasket for my 914 transmission and I told him that trans gasket sets were in short supply.

Anyway, he checked stock at Worldpac and they are out of stock.
But IMC shows stock at multiple warehouses, so maybe some of the vendors that show stock get them from IMC.

He has 3 gasket sets on the shelf and couple folders with loose gaskets left over from sets, so I dug through the leftovers and found a tail housing gasket. I'm only swapping one tail housing for another.

Jim

They list stock, when you call it is wrong.

Got the gaskets covered. They will be here this week, then I ship to my friend in SD to be with the bearings. I ordered enough 1/R sliders to cover stated demand, as well as bearing sets. Should all be golden.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ May 7 2018, 07:20 PM) *

Did anyone ever get ahold of the two 912 guys?

Ive been talking to them. I will forward your email.
Tdskip
Bump for awareness!
Dr Evil
Man, I just had to turn away a party of three. Just cant verify that they would fit and I could get all the parts in time.
Boomingbeetle
Bummer! But you should offer to let them spectate, but bring their boxes and cash in case you can get all the parts. Then have a “table of shame” outside for late comers. And they should buy us beer. beer3.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Boomingbeetle @ May 10 2018, 11:59 AM) *

Bummer! But you should offer to let them spectate, but bring their boxes and cash in case you can get all the parts. Then have a “table of shame” outside for late comers. And they should buy us beer. beer3.gif

Maybe, except for the shame part. We don't all spend extra time on here wink.gif Things are missed.
mtndawg
I took the cover off the back of my transmission to have a look. Nothing stands out as an obvious problem.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(mtndawg @ May 10 2018, 05:46 PM) *

I took the cover off the back of my transmission to have a look. Nothing stands out as an obvious problem.

1st dog teeth are almost completely gone. Likely 1/R slider is toast as well, guarantee band is. Most common in 99% of boxes. Cant tell on slider and band unless you remove slider.
Dr Evil
Had 912 guy back out, so the late comers are in!
mtndawg
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 11 2018, 08:51 AM) *

1st dog teeth are almost completely gone. Likely 1/R slider is toast as well, guarantee band is. Most common in 99% of boxes. Cant tell on slider and band unless you remove slider.

I stand corrected blink.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(mtndawg @ May 11 2018, 01:43 PM) *

I stand corrected blink.gif

Common failures, man. No worries, Ill have you covered.
914 RZ-1

Had 912 guy back out, so the late comers are in!

Have them PM me so I can send directions. Unless you have them directions already?
Dr Evil
And then there were 15. Had another drop out today. Good thing I can use the bearing sets I pre ordered in my shop for customer builds. Ordered the new nuts and washers yesterday, we will have a few spares. Boxes of seal kits are ready to ship to my friend in California. I’ll fedex everything Monday. Jeff, I may just send to your place directly.
Tdskip
Doc - do you want us to pull the boxes partially apart so you can see what is going on prior to the clinic?

Sorry if I missed it, but what prep should we do to be good participants?
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 12 2018, 04:27 AM) *

And then there were 15. Had another drop out today. Good thing I can use the bearing sets I pre ordered in my shop for customer builds. Ordered the new nuts and washers yesterday, we will have a few spares. Boxes of seal kits are ready to ship to my friend in California. I’ll fedex everything Monday. Jeff, I may just send to your place directly.

Go ahead and ship whatever you want here. Just let me know so I can look out for it.
bernbomb914
DR Evil If you are in the area and need parts I have lots of parts from sportomatic trans to ring and pinion and a lot of gear sets I am in Temecula give me a call. 951 676 4927
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 12 2018, 08:31 AM) *

Doc - do you want us to pull the boxes partially apart so you can see what is going on prior to the clinic?

Sorry if I missed it, but what prep should we do to be good participants?

Please read thread, start at first post, all info there. Thanks.

In other news, Packed up parts. Expensive tote here. Seals going in as well. Hope to ship tomorrow.
Dr Evil
The pic in my green bin is not impressive until you realize it is deep and has a couple grand worth of parts in it smile.gif

So, I forgot to tell yall to put your user name on your correspondence so I could keep track. I have deposited many checks as of yesterday and tried to update the first post to match, but there are a few I am not sure of.

If the list on the first post is not reflecting your needs/payment, let me know. I need to finalize the 1/R slider order today. I have 14 bearing sets en route, 10 of them are already at my friends house. Seal kits are in hand and I hope to pack the green tote with my tools, parts and FedEx it out tomorrow or Thursday.

Checks deposited yesterday that I am not clear on who they are from, first 3 letters of last name only:
Dev
Deu
Lin
Dr Evil
For address, please contact 914 RZ-1 directly as he knows where he lives and around the area better than I.
Tdskip
Pictures of my box

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 15 2018, 11:05 AM) *

Wrong side cover, but stuff looks good. I need you to take the 19mm bolt out of the flange on the side of the side cover (passenger side in 914), pull the flange, then remove the 13mm nuts and pop off the side cover to get to the r/p.
914 RZ-1
For those of you looking for hotels, I'm near the 126 or Magic Mountain Parkway exits of the 5 freeway. About 10 minutes away.

I would not recommend Castaic since it's about 20 minutes away.
mtndawg
I’m staying Friday and Saturday night at the Hilton garden inn, Valencia on The Old Road. Looks good and is pretty close.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(mtndawg @ May 15 2018, 11:37 PM) *

I’m staying Friday and Saturday night at the Hilton garden inn, Valencia on The Old Road. Looks good and is pretty close.

Ill book there. I haven't reserved yet, that's this weekends plans. Moving right before this has been....fun.
Dr Evil
I updated first post again. If you are one of these people and paid, let me know your name (pm is fine). I am ordering 1/R sliders today so if you want one and your name doesn't show it (1/rsl) on the 1st post then you best speak up.

Currently not sure if I have received your check:
ValcoOscar
forrestkhaag
John90290
Gothspeed
Don-6
MM1
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 16 2018, 06:34 AM) *

I updated first post again. If you are one of these people and paid, let me know your name (pm is fine). I am ordering 1/R sliders today so if you want one and your name doesn't show it (1/rsl) on the 1st post then you best speak up.

ValcoOscar
forrestkhaag
John90290
Gothspeed
Don-6
MM1

I am 100% IN on this clinic. I am prepping my trans this weekend. Hope to post pics.
Is it okay if I just take $$$ with me that day? A bit easier for me.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 16 2018, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 16 2018, 06:34 AM) *

ValcoOscar
forrestkhaag
John90290
Gothspeed
Don-6
MM1

I am 100% IN on this clinic. I am prepping my trans this weekend. Hope to post pics.
Is it okay if I just take $$$ with me that day? A bit easier for me.

At this point, ya. I have already fronted the $$ for the bearings and the sliders that have not been covered, yet. However, I have not ordered a 1/R slider for you as of this time. If you want one, I need to know now. I was trying, to get people to pay ahead for the parts I had to purchase for them (>$12K), that's why I posted it in the first thread wink.gif

If any of you on the list have changed your mind, let me know. It is better I don't mail thousands of $$ of parts for people that are not coming. Being silent only adds to my out of pocket.
don-6
PM sent to Dr Evil
Dr Evil
QUOTE(don-6 @ May 16 2018, 12:09 PM) *

PM sent to Dr Evil

Gotcha, Don. Thanks for the clarification. First post updated.
914sgofast2
Just made a reservation for the Hilton Garden Inn in Valencia, too. See you all there!
Mike D.
Dr Evil
Ya, I aint paying $195 for 8-10hrs of sleep so I booked at the Santa Clarita Motel about 4miles away. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.