Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Incomplete and rough 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Driver174
I got a 1971 1.7 for towing it away. Looks like it has been setting outside in desert very long time; has 1982 tags. I'm going to pull door handles and brake calipers, although my 74 calipers are different.

Is there any value in the engine and transmission? Those are quite different from my 74 too, but figure the engine block may be worth keeping. Are there internal transmission parts common between rear and side shifts?

What else should I consider keeping?

Thanks,
steuspeed
Tail lights
Bumpers
Gauges
Anything in decent condition.
TheCabinetmaker
Lots of folks restoring early cars that need all those parts.
McMark
but figure the engine block may be worth keeping.

You got it! The engine cases are all the same and the 1.7 is usually in better shape.

Are there internal transmission parts common between rear and side shifts?

Nearly everything is interchangeable. In fact, with a few parts you can convert that tail shifter to a sideshift. I'd pull it and take it with you to Dr. Evil's LA Trans Party and you can learn how to rebuild a trans and convert it to side shift. When you're done you've got a $500 transmission.
HAM Inc
Save the rocker arms. The 1.7's are unique and the only ones that accept 911 swivel screws. Worth around 75.00
krazykonrad
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
worn
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Apr 26 2018, 09:31 AM) *

agree.gif
forrestkhaag
i sold a 97 993 to buy a worn out 71 Porsche 914 / beyond repair as told by most including my lovely wife who sobbed openly when the tow truck dropped off the beast in our neighborhood.

It now has thousands of miles on it and runs like a scalded cat with its newly built 3.0 -6. post pictures. you may have a diamond in the rough..... but hard to say without pix.....
cheers

Driver174
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Apr 26 2018, 09:31 AM) *

Click to view attachment
krazykonrad
How does the hell hole look?
Krieger
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Apr 27 2018, 06:38 AM) *

agree.gif

Inspect the car. It may be worth saving before you decide to part it out.
Driver174
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 27 2018, 06:53 AM) *

agree.gif

Click to view attachment
Driver174
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 27 2018, 06:53 AM) *

agree.gif

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
You never know, might not suck since it was in the desert.
Unobtanium-inc
I vote to try and save it or try and sell it whole, hoping someone else saves it. What might seem worthless today, might not be in 20 years, and once scrapped, it's gone.

Like this car I recently wrote a story on, who wanted a wrecked Speedster in 1970, nobody, but I bet guys would be battling to own that car today.

https://www.pca.org/news/2018-04-13/barnfin...rline-worthless
bbrock
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Apr 28 2018, 01:57 PM) *

I vote to try and save it or try and sell it whole, hoping someone else saves it. What might seem worthless today, might not be in 20 years, and once scrapped, it's gone.

Like this car I recently wrote a story on, who wanted a wrecked Speedster in 1970, nobody, but I bet guys would be battling to own that car today.

agree.gif Need more pics, but so far it looks to be in WAY better shape than mine when I started on it.
billh1963
Is it gold? What's the paint code?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.