Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally! Some friggin progress!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
Well, I have finally gotten something conclusively done on my car. I put in the GD oil tank. What a PITA, but I found a big enough shoe horn to stuff that pig in there dry.gif
-stripped interior pan and POR-15
-Painted engine bay
-Got my pully modified (more on this in another thread)

Now I need to:
-mount my engine
-figure out fuel routing
-figure out wiring
-other things that will resent themselves and cause me delays smilie_pokal.gif

Aaron Cox
OE tank?

would suck to find a leak...

BTW - no fuchin pics? stromberg.gif sheeplove.gif
Dr Evil
Buy me a camera if you want pics, beyotch. My camera would not have worked in the given environment.

It is OE. No leaks. owned.gif
ThinAir
Congrats, Mike! Progress sure feels good, don't it?!?
Aaron Cox
hey mike...

eat stromberg.gif happy11.gif owned.gif
Dr Evil
I was sooooo busy today. I started the morning by dissassembling two trannys. Then tearing all of the body parts off of my for sale bike so I can paint them. Then I worked on my car. Then....and then...and then....

Don't be a dhead.gif Aaron
Aaron Cox
least you are making progress smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif
redshift
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jun 8 2005, 02:07 AM)
I would suck to find a leak...

huh.gif
Dr Evil
He he he. Yup, progress is good.
jimtab
Hey Mike, good for you, and don't stress, it could be worse....could be raining..... happy11.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (jimtab @ Jun 8 2005, 07:30 PM)
Hey Mike, good for you, and don't stress, it could be worse....could be raining..... happy11.gif

Shut up jim..... dry.gif I can count the nice days here since the WCC on one hand! mad.gif I's finally getting nice tomorrow and I have to travel 170 miles to a meeting! sad.gif

Nice progress Dr.E! clap.gif
jimtab
Don't feel too bad, were getting rain here today in "sunny"california....my ass.... bootyshake.gif
Dr Evil
More progress:
Installed FI pump for the CIS, almost have whole system figured out. Painted floor pan with sound deadening paint. It smelt and felt like watered down spackle. It seemed to dry just fine. I just hope it works. Cut the fog light holes out of my front bumper with the 5" hole saw (perfect). Started fitting my engine tin (fiber glass) to the engine. Installed my spark plugs and the head temp loop to one of them.

It was wierd today. Everything seemed to work fine huh.gif That either means that something will go wrong and I wont notice, it already did and I didn't notice it, or nothing bad happened.

I need to find out how to install the dizzy. My manual was useless. I need an index for where the #1, etc plug wires go on the dizzy. Its so freakin close I can taste it. I will have help this sun putting the engine in. Then I will just need some little parts to get it driving!
smilie_pokal.gif
Root_Werks
boldblue.gif Cool! I can't wait to see some pic's! boldblue.gif
736conver
Mike,

How is that fiberglass engine tin. Do you think its durable enough. I cant decide on the tin or the glass.

Maybe I'll post another thread on this.

brant
keep up the good work!

brant
Dr Evil
Glass is good enough for a street car. It needs to be fit, and you need to re enforce the screw holes, but it is in expensive. Carbon Fiber would have been AWSOME! Some day.
Dr Evil
More good news.
Today my friends came over and helped me finish up my engine. Noel and my friend's girl Toni painted my engine tin and then went to work on the floors of the car where I didn't do such a good job of rust proofing. The other guys helped me put all of the FI hoses on, and to make several runs to the parts stores/Home Depot. I have the engine completely ready to go in. I just need to put a stud on the side of my tranny for the throttle bell crank. smilie_pokal.gif I think that I will install tomarrow.

Whats left:
Repaint and seal the fuel tank
Finish painting interior and install EVERYTHING
Rebuild my CVs and install
Wire sensors and engine stuff
finish plumbing the FI

Baja run? Oh ya! Bring it on!
Red-Beard
Sweet!
ablose58
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
CptTripps
Rock on dude...kick that things ass!

I'm about to DONATE a camera so we can see this damn thing!
Dr Evil
As far as the camera thing, my friend lent me his camera to use, but he just recently gave me the docking port to use rolleyes.gif After I get the pics downloaded from the camera, I will take some of the car. Maybe today idea.gif
Aaron Cox
cant take pics of something that doesnt exist.... rolleyes.gif
Dr Evil
Eat me screach dry.gif wink.gif
MattR
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 13 2005, 07:44 AM)

owned.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 13 2005, 07:44 AM)

laugh.gif lol2.gif laugh.gif lol2.gif
Dr Evil
I also found the throttle holder deal in my parts stash late last night. Of course it was after I ordered one. Oh well, it was only about $15. rolleyes.gif
Eric_Shea
WWYD?

I can tell ya this... he sure as hell would figure out how to use the digital camera dry.gif

w00t.gif
Dr Evil
bootyshake.gif Did you get the 'care' package yet?

Need pictures, you do not.
Eric_Shea
Got'em smilie_pokal.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

lol3.gif
Dr Evil
It does exist! Shut up! I have proof!

Ah crap, how do I resize pics? My friends camera is better thatn I expected and has good resolution.
Dr Evil
I think that I got it. Here is the distruction.
Dr Evil
Front with minor flare and euro style side lights.
Dr Evil
Interior with sound deadening paint.
Dr Evil
Engine under car. See them 255 9" big meats chowtime.gif
Eric_Shea
Ooooooooooooo Young Luke enters the 80's
Dr Evil
Engine in. And it was that easy dry.gif
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif Glad to finally have some pictures. That six looks great under there!
Dr Evil
I had the engine going in and realized that my engine lid release mechanism was crushing my air boot and FI distributor. I had to lower the engine and then I 'savaged' the release off with some vice grips and a 4" angle grinder chop wheel. I need to put the front tin in and the tranny now.

I lost a lot of blood yesterday with all of the metal cutting.
Dr Evil
My hands were way worse, but the dirt and grease filled inthe cuts so a pic would have showed nothing. With such a large blood sacrafice, I am more confident that the P-car gods will smile upon my project and bestow reliability upon my ride pray.gif
Gint
When do you light it off? Times runnin out...
Dr Evil
As soon as I get the tank done, I will have all of the pieces and should be able to get it on. It should be a week. I still have to paint your mirror and send it out rolleyes.gif Its been sitting on my desk for a while.
Dr. Roger
Fat rubber and those side markers/blinkers.

Very nice. cool.gif
jimtab
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 16 2005, 02:14 PM)
I had the engine going in and realized that my engine lid release mechanism was crushing my air boot and FI distributor. I had to lower the engine and then I 'savaged' the release off with some vice grips and a 4" angle grinder chop wheel. I need to put the front tin in and the tranny now.

I lost a lot of blood yesterday with all of the metal cutting.

Hey those look like defensive wounds, are you sure you didn't piss Noel off? PS. I still LOVE my car....it's BEAUTIFUL and it has quit punishing me for being beautiful. wub.gif
ThinAir
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 16 2005, 03:00 PM)
... euro style side lights.

So Mike -

What are the dimensions on those lines that you drew for the Euro side markers? What lights did you use? Are they surface mount? (Some lights that I've seen on Jettas and such have a depression in the body for the light to fit into.) I've always wanted to do that change to a 914.
Dr Evil
They were like $20 and are not surface mount. You can find them in a number of places on line, but I don't know where I did. Even your FLAPS should have some. They need a small hole drilled, about 1/2" for the base. As for the measurements, I just put one where I liked it and measured it so the other side would be correct. Arbitrary, actually. You should be able to do the same with the same success.
ThinAir
I didn't mean that a surface mount light wouldn't need any holes for mounting - just that it would do ok mounted right on the surface of the fender without fancy bodywork. I'll have to look around. Thanks, Mike!
Dr Evil
QUOTE (ThinAir914 @ Jun 16 2005, 08:20 PM)
I didn't mean that a surface mount light wouldn't need any holes for mounting - just that it would do ok mounted right on the surface of the fender without fancy bodywork. I'll have to look around. Thanks, Mike!

Ah, yes. I see. The ones that I got were kinda shitty, but the other brands should bolt right up to the same holes.

Jim,
Shhhhhh, no one needs to know. wink.gif
Red-Beard
More progress?
Dr Evil
Heading out right now to get on it. Noel VOLUNTEERED to come along and work on it with me smilie_pokal.gif I'll take pics wink.gif

Wish me luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.