Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Rocks Classic 2018 - Sept 7-10 - Western Colorado
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SharonG
Join us for Red Rocks Classic! It's a Friday through Monday this year since the Snowmass Vintage Car Races are the following weekend this year, so the thought was folks may want to turn it into a week long vacation. Hopefully that makes sense. smile.gif

Hotel info for entire event: Comfort Inn, 400 Jurassic Ave, Fruita, CO 81521
King or double room $109+tax under Porsche 914 group, 970-858-1333. Pets are $10/day extra. Cancel 30 days before RRC (not that you'd do that!) to avoid penalty. The rooms will be held until Aug 7.

T-shirt thread is here! T-shirt thread
Click to view attachment

AGENDA!!!

Friday Sep 7:
Arrive at the hotel, pizza at the hotel for dinner, parking lot shenanigans.

Saturday Sep 8:
Driver meeting 9:14am, be ready for the drive at 10am. We'll be driving to Gateway Auto Museum via Colo Nat'l Monument, and will have a picnic lunch at Gateway. We'll be giving away awards (courtesy of Jim McIntosh!) on Saturday since a few folks have to depart on Sunday. Dinner will be at 7pm, Suds Bros Brewery, 127 E Aspen Ave, Fruita, CO 81521 (about 0.8mi from the hotel). Shenanigans will ensue.
Click to view attachment

Sunday Sep 9:
Driver meeting 9:14am, be ready to drive at 10am. We'll be driving to Grand Mesa, and will stop for lunch at Palisade Brewing on the way back. The time on the map below is for there and back. Dinner will be in Fruita at Rib City or El Tapatio or Strayhorn Grill - we'll take a vote.
Click to view attachment

Monday Sep 10:
Au revoir!

Please let us know what days you plan to attend. Cost for for dinner Friday, lunch Saturday and entry into the museum is $35. Please give cash or check to Sharon at the event, or IM for paypal info.

Attendees based on this post and the Facebook thread:
Ron D and Linda - all 3 days
Brant - all 3 days
SharonG and Gint - all 3 days
Ken and Pam Lowe
Michael Phillips - all 3 days
Rob Risen and Ally - all 3 days
JLu - all 3 days
Michael Ferguson - Fri-Sun
Mike and Mary Moorman - Fri-Sun
Eric Shea - Diane Johnstone - Fri-Sun
Larry & Gloria Phillips - Friday-Monday
Greg Silva
Jim McIntosh
Jim Hoyland
Jim LaMonica (Coastal6) and Deborah - all 3 days
Matt Whitesell - all 3 days
JamesM - Thurs-Sun?

Maybes:
Mike Marinshaw
Mark Whitesell
Jeff Hines
Scotty First
Don Russell

See you there!!!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(SharonG @ Apr 26 2018, 03:14 PM) *

Join us for Red Rocks Classic!

See you there!!!

I will be there! It will be a final test of new engine components before I drive it to Rennsport. Cheers!
jim_hoyland
Red Rocks is always spectacular , Gonna make this one and it’s only 14 miles from the airport.
Elliot Cannon
Eight hundred and eighty eight miles. driving.gif Why don't we have this thing in Utah anymore? You know... That's where the red rocks are. poke.gif laugh.gif
rick 918-S
Anyone else remember passing that Prius in Monument? I bet it's still there spinning like a top from our vortex! aktion035.gif driving.gif

Here's the freight train crew. laugh.gif laugh.gif
JRust
Looking forward to it
snakemain
1631 miles. And the wife will be indisposed. Not gonna happen for this one, but next year may be possible.
shelby/914
I think I'm in. Finally have a running car after several years of down time. Is there trailer parking? Although it would certainly make it, might have to trailer out if the wife comes. She likes things like A/C, Quieter ride, etc.

Danny
AZ914
piratenanner.gif drunk.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 26 2018, 04:45 PM) *

Red Rocks is always spectacular , Gonna make this one and it’s only 14 miles from the airport.

Jim - I think I have seen you walk more than 14 miles! No rental car needed. smile.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 26 2018, 05:14 PM) *

Eight hundred and eighty eight miles. driving.gif Why don't we have this thing in Utah anymore? You know... That's where the red rocks are. poke.gif laugh.gif

agree.gif
AZ914

You get to drive thru the red rocks on the way! ...and back!
jcd914
Per Google 911 miles from my house. idea.gif

Jim
SharonG
QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Apr 26 2018, 11:42 PM) *

I think I'm in. Finally have a running car after several years of down time. Is there trailer parking? Although it would certainly make it, might have to trailer out if the wife comes. She likes things like A/C, Quieter ride, etc.

Danny

That's great news, Danny! Yes, there's a lot next to the hotel where you can park your trailer. It's a big lot so the manager said we can park a lot of trailers.
SharonG
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 26 2018, 06:14 PM) *

biggrin.gif There's red rocks in Western Colo, too. beerchug.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(SharonG @ Apr 30 2018, 11:51 AM) *

You can almost see Utah from Fruita! driving.gif lol-2.gif
MoveQik

Looks like RRC 2019 just found its event planner! shades.gif
bandjoey
Mechanically inclined people talk to me. 2.0 with great running Dellortos. At 620 feet MSL. How will these carbs react to that altitude. Will I need to rejet half way up the mountain ?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Apr 30 2018, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(SharonG @ Apr 30 2018, 11:51 AM) *

You can almost see Utah from Fruita! driving.gif lol-2.gif

Yup...
mgp4591
Just tried to make reservations and the desk jockey said he didn't have our group up and he wanted to charge me more - then recommended I call back when the group is set up otherwise I wouldn't get the discount. Kind of a jerk about it too... ask for anyone except Cory.... dry.gif
SharonG
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 1 2018, 09:41 PM) *

Just tried to make reservations and the desk jockey said he didn't have our group up and he wanted to charge me more - then recommended I call back when the group is set up otherwise I wouldn't get the discount. Kind of a jerk about it too... ask for anyone except Cory.... dry.gif

There was actually an issue with the group reservation. I hope it's fixed now. Thanks for letting me know! beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 30 2018, 02:42 PM) *

Mechanically inclined people talk to me. 2.0 with great running Dellortos. At 620 feet MSL. How will these carbs react to that altitude. Will I need to rejet half way up the mountain ?

My Weber 44 idf carbs are jetted for sea level. The highest I have had my car was Sandia peek in New Mexico. That was 10'600 ft above sea level. It started fine and ran OK as long as I kept the revs up a bit when idling. YMMV. biggrin.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 3 2018, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 30 2018, 02:42 PM) *

My Weber 44 idf carbs are jetted for sea level. The highest I have had my car was Sandia peek in New Mexico. That was 10'600 ft above sea level. It started fine and ran OK as long as I kept the revs up a bit when idling. YMMV. biggrin.gif

My experience...

My Raby 2270cc four w/dual 44 IDF carbs are also tuned for sea level. A few weeks ago while driving @ 7,000 ft (Flagstaff, AZ) they started acting funny but like Elliot said, just keep the Rev's up and you should be okay.
I honestly didn't consider the high altitude prior to Route 66 event and glad I didn't field rejet.

My back up was having mgp4591 (Mike) help me out poke.gif

biggrin.gif

Oscar
Gint
Thread colorized for your viewing pleasure... 'Cause "she who must be obeyed" said so.
Ferg
QUOTE(Gint @ May 9 2018, 02:23 PM) *

Thread colorized for your viewing pleasure... 'Cause "she who must be obeyed" said so.

laugh.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(Gint @ May 9 2018, 04:23 PM) *

Smart man! thumb3d.gif
SharonG
QUOTE(Gint @ May 9 2018, 04:23 PM) *

Thanks Hunnybuns! wub.gif
IronHillRestorations
1393 miles, not in the cards for me :/
AZ914
QUOTE(Gint @ May 9 2018, 03:23 PM) *

laugh.gif
mgp4591
Just made my reservations and they told me $99 + tax.... that was before I'd mentioned I was with the group! Hurry before they change their minds! w00t.gif
bandjoey
919 miles. working on this but it'll be a trailer. I've done the 2 day trip in the teener and my butt isn't up to that mileage anymore.

serious consideration though.
JamesM
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 26 2018, 04:14 PM) *

Hey, at least its closer to Utah than the last couple years! Maybe I can convince someone else in this state to actually DRIVE their 914 with me the whole way this year!

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
JamesM
Bump

3 months away, who all is in?
JRust
QUOTE(JamesM @ May 16 2018, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 26 2018, 04:14 PM) *

Hey, at least its closer to Utah than the last couple years! Maybe I can convince someone else in this state to actually DRIVE their 914 with me the whole way this year!

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

I'm in & will be coming through SLC on my way from Oregon
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 27 2018, 11:31 PM) *

Jim

If Jim is in, and has a running car, I'm in. It's like 14 hours? I'd probably stay in SLC and pick up Michael Phillips and Eric Shea for the last bit... You guys both in? biggrin.gif poke.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 9 2018, 05:41 PM) *

Jim

If Jim is in, and has a running car, I'm in. It's like 14 hours? I'd probably stay in SLC and pick up Michael Phillips and Eric Shea for the last bit... You guys both in? biggrin.gif poke.gif

I'm already signed in - still driving the Subie but I'll be there. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 9 2018, 11:49 PM) *

Jim

>

You mean the donor Subie right? biggrin.gif

I just hope Jim gets his car running... evilgrin.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 14 2018, 11:55 AM) *

Jim

>

I think Jim's car is running well now and my donor Subie is safe in my driveway... my regular ride is also a Subie. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 14 2018, 05:01 PM) *

Jim

>

I think Jim's car is running well now and my donor Subie is safe in my driveway... my regular ride is also a Subie. biggrin.gif

I’ve got two Subies in the driveway. Fairly economical car with AWD that keeps the kids safe. Wife drives a BMW Xdrive, me? Big old truck for a daily.

I’m talking about jcd914. In the more than a decade I’ve known him, he’s only had one running 914. He sold it. He's got a nice roller and all the parts he needs so... happy11.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 14 2018, 07:06 PM) *

Jim

>

I’ve got two Subies in the driveway. Fairly economical car with AWD that keeps the kids safe. Wife drives a BMW Xdrive, me? Big old truck for a daily.

I’m talking about jcd914. In the more than a decade I’ve known him, he’s only had one running 914. He sold it. He's got a nice roller and all the parts he needs so... happy11.gif

I should have my 914 running by then but I have said that before.
I made great progress the last few months trying to get it together for WCR but I still have a way to go.

As far as Red Rocks, I'll be at Laguna Seca in Monterey that weekend for the races. Campsite and tickets paid for last November, if I don't pay in advance they won't hold my site year after year.

It is an event I want to do and I really like the locations this year.

Jim
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 15 2018, 01:19 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 14 2018, 07:06 PM) *

Jim

>

I made great progress the last few months trying to get it together for WCR but I still have a way to go.

As far as Red Rocks, I'll be at Laguna Seca in Monterey that weekend for the races. Campsite and tickets paid for last November, if I don't pay in advance they won't hold my site year after year.

Jim

JIM!!! dry.gif

Never mind, I knew that. I just didn’t know it was the same weekend. Too bad, this looks like a cool event this year!
SharonG
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 14 2018, 10:19 PM) *

Jim

Seriously??? Leguna Seca over RRC? Lame. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SharonG @ Jun 15 2018, 06:37 PM) *

Jim

I guess you'd have to see his camping spot... evilgrin.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 15 2018, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(SharonG @ Jun 15 2018, 06:37 PM) *

Jim

I guess you'd have to see his camping spot... evilgrin.gif

It is more a social event that my wife and I have been doing for years.
Our little group now have 4 adjacent campsites that overlook part of the corkscrew.
A lot of food and drink and my wife likes it, which is important.

I plan to do RRC sometime soon but it is a bit farther than WCR has been for us.

Jim
Scott S
Ohhh.... that date actually works really well for me.
Can I come in a Boxster?
shelby/914
I'M out, have eye surgery scheduled for 10 Sept. Well maybe next year and I'll be able to see better. Just have to keep the car running for another year.

Danny
Ferg
QUOTE(Scott S @ Jun 15 2018, 03:25 PM) *

Ohhh.... that date actually works really well for me.
Can I come in a Boxster?

Heck yeah!
JRust
I plan to be there but only if my car is done. No good reason it shouldn't be. Barring me saying screw it all & deciding to go with a different motor entirely. I keep changing & upgrading stuff. Shouldn't be anything else but straight cash going out of my pocket blink.gif . Would be a little easier to swallow if my truck didn't just blow a hole in it's block. Would sure be nice to drive my 914 right now dry.gif
Ferg
I'm going! Got permission from "She who must be obeyed" laugh.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 11 2018, 08:02 AM) *

I'm going! Got permission from "She who must be obeyed" laugh.gif

Well Done!

Do you think you will still have a 914 in September? wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.