Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speed check
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
the car wants to go fast. the wife told me to slow down 3 times today. i looked down and was doing 80 and didn't have a clue. the tire size is 195/60 15. what are you doing at 3000 rpm on the freeway? i'm going out for a few of my favorite onramps this afternoon.

kevin
"done and running"
mskala
Dug out the old spreadsheet.

With the 205/55 bridgestone street tires on the -6,
I'm doing 64.0 at 3000rpm. If it was a -4 fifth gear,
it would be 68.4mph.

If I use the calculated diameter for 195/60/15 using
a -4 fifth gear, I get 69.8mph for you.
rhodyguy
thanks loads!!!

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin

2900 in 5th is reads 70 mph for me. But I believe it is about 60 since everyone is passing me. I run the same tire size as you. I usually drive just below 3000 and have only been pulled over once since 1982. Don't believe the speedo or the wife (no offense Jean but in the 914 you're sitting a little low).

I just try to keep up with traffic and that's getting harder to do. Man I sound like an old fart. By the way, the only way to keep up with Geoff is to keep him behind you. Find a narrow road and drive wide or smoke him out like I do. LOL.

Dave
rhodyguy
dave, are you at work, home, in town or what? i'm hot to drive.

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin I'm at work then going to the Mariners with the wife so I'm on the shelf today. Lets try something this weekend. Imagine people seeing two funny little silver cars. "I wonder what those things are"

Dave
tryan
must be fiats. driving.gif

explain to your wife that our speedometers are optimisticly inclined. hold a steady sixty and use the mile markers for 10 miles or do to see what % you are 'off'. lest she look at the tach. aktion035.gif
Neal
195/60 R15, I drive with the speedo just under 90, it just seems right
I think at 3000 mine says about 75. Go figure
MDB2.gif
ChrisReale
Come up to Seattle, and bring a spare throttle cable beer.gif
Red-Beard
http://www.sdspeedo.com/frames/sdspeedoerrorpg001.html

Stock tire size is 165 80 15

Input your tire size and your speedometer reading

James
anthony
I'm running 195-60-15s too and my speedo is way off. I think it reads at least 10 to 12 mph fast even though the calculations say it should be 5 mph fast.
maf914
My 205/60 x 15 size is not off too bad. About 2 mph at 70. I can live with that.

Now I wonder how accurate the speedometer and tachometer are?

Mike
redshift
Hey Mike, my Tach is 200 low @ redline, my speedometer is dead on! 1st time for everything!

I was a lil scared when I discovered the tach drift.. I had already been above that line.

ohmy.gif

Stock tires (32lbs) at true 3000 I am at 73mph and a teenie..

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.