Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mismatching colors on gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andreic
Hello,

recently I acquired a 1972 914, manufactured 12/1971. When I got it it was all dirty and dusty, and I could not check the gauges carefully. A week ago I sent the speedo to a shop in VA to have it fixed (the odometer was not working). When it got back a couple of days ago, all nice and clean, I noticed that the white markings on it are off-white, while the tach and combo gauge have the markings bright white. Is this how it was meant to be? Or did someone just put at some point a replacement speedo in the car? The three gauges look weird together now.

All three gauges are the silver dot ones, and the speedo is the 120 MPH version, not the 150.

I am curious what people know about this.

Thanks,
Andrei.
mepstein
I see plenty of different shades of white on these gauges. Many have been moved around, either traded among cars or purchased new when the old ones broke.
campbellcj
I've been through this a few times as well. So much mixing/swapping goes on over the years, and every car (gauge) has been exposed to different usage and storage conditions over a 40+ year lifetime. Sending the whole set to one of the good resto shops (NH Speedo or PA Speedo, if both are still around) is what I've done -- They will fix/test for function as well as restore the cosmetics. And perform mods if you want. It is not hugely expensive in the Porsche scheme of things.
worn
QUOTE(andreic @ Apr 26 2018, 08:46 PM) *

Hello,

recently I acquired a 1972 914, manufactured 12/1971. When I got it it was all dirty and dusty, and I could not check the gauges carefully. A week ago I sent the speedo to a shop in VA to have it fixed (the odometer was not working). When it got back a couple of days ago, all nice and clean, I noticed that the white markings on it are off-white, while the tach and combo gauge have the markings bright white. Is this how it was meant to be? Or did someone just put at some point a replacement speedo in the car? The three gauges look weird together now.

All three gauges are the silver dot ones, and the speedo is the 120 MPH version, not the 150.

I am curious what people know about this.

Thanks,
Andrei.

This is a known variation. See: http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges_cluster.htm
andreic
Well, my gauges are now mismatching. It bugs me to see them like this every time. Is there any place that will replace my faceplate of the speedo with one with white markings for not a huge amount of cash? Or swap my current speedo (just refurbished, off white) with a good one with bright white markings?
mepstein
You could try a WTB / want to buy, on this site. Probably cheaper than getting the gauge done. Then sell your old one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.