Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throw out bearing replace
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
Just wondering how stupid it would be not to replace the bearing when I replace most everything around it? It's just another $100+ dollars but damn that adds up fast. It sounded okay before, just wanted some thoughts. Thank you in advance.
mepstein
smile.gif
worn
QUOTE(shane @ Apr 27 2018, 05:56 AM) *

Just wondering how stupid it would be not to replace the bearing when I replace most everything around it? It's just another $100+ dollars but damn that adds up fast. It sounded okay before, just wanted some thoughts. Thank you in advance.

Boy, I hear you. I have several perfectly good used ones that I have not yet brought myself to throw away. If you don't mind pulling the engine it seems unnecessary.
Tom_T
Shane,

How much is your time worth to drop it, pull the trans & redo it just for the TO bearing later? If your time is worth more than $100, then ....

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 27 2018, 11:07 AM) *

Shane,

How much is your time worth to drop it, pull the trans & redo it just for the TO bearing later? If your time is worth more than $100, then ....

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

This agree.gif

I have many good used, and sell them at a discount, but it comes down to the fact that a used will not last as long as new. However, they could both outlast your use of the car. Hard to tell you which way is right for you. I leave good old ones in there, but I do this for a living so changing them is not hard for me smile.gif
Mark Henry
If you have access to a small press they come apart easy.
Inspect the balls and races if they're perfect then I see no problem getting another 100K out if it.
Clean and inspect, repack with a good grease (I use swepco 101) and press it back together. Last time I did 4 in under an hour.
I've also done the super expensive 911 pull style bearings.

The only issue IMHO I see with the ones I've done is the factory doesn't use a waterproof grease like the swepco. If a small amount of water mixes with the grease the bearings are shot in short order.

I know some will say "you can't" or "I wouldn't" but I have several guy's using repacked bearings and in both of my cars with no issue so far.
My '67 bug with a 911 (901) transmission is my summer DD and I have 5 years on it. To put a 901 in a VW bug the arm needs a major offset bend in it, so this bearing likely is stressed more than a 914 bearing.
shane
Cool thanks for the feedback, I never though about inspecting the bearing and using or replacing. Kinda like the old days with front wheel bearing. Thanks again!!!
maf914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 27 2018, 08:05 AM) *

Inspect the balls and races if they're perfect then I see no problem getting another 100K out if it.
Clean and inspect, repack with a good grease (I use swepco 101) and press it back together. Last time I did 4 in under an hour.

Mark, This is interesting. Any chance you have some photos of the process? idea.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 27 2018, 12:05 PM) *

The only issue IMHO I see with the ones I've done is the factory doesn't use a waterproof grease like the swepco. If a small amount of water mixes with the grease the bearings are shot in short order.

I know some will say "you can't" or "I wouldn't" but I have several guy's using repacked bearings and in both of my cars with no issue so far.
My '67 bug with a 911 (901) transmission is my summer DD and I have 5 years on it. To put a 901 in a VW bug the arm needs a major offset bend in it, so this bearing likely is stressed more than a 914 bearing.

I agree agree.gif
Easy to disassemble, inspect, repack with superior lubricant and reuse.
Take care to lever the tin cover off with a few safety razors or a very thin putty knife.
I've done it many times.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(maf914 @ Apr 30 2018, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 27 2018, 08:05 AM) *

Mark, This is interesting. Any chance you have some photos of the process? idea.gif

Just did a photo shoot I'll post it later today.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 30 2018, 10:47 AM) *

That sounds a bit ominous, sexual chocolate. I hope you mean of the bearing.
shane
Hi Mark, thanks for your insight and expertise on throw out bearings and many other subjects. I was looking at my throw out bearing my stock 914 (901). It looks like you press the bearing from the back side out of the housing? Then press the bearing apart? If you had a pic it would give me more confidence on this before I start pressing. Again thanks!!!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 30 2018, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 30 2018, 10:47 AM) *

That sounds a bit ominous, sexual chocolate. I hope you mean of the bearing.

Says the doctor who works on tranny's. dry.gif

lol-2.gif
shane
icon_bump.gif
mb911
Never taken one apart but definitely interested to do this.. Pictures would be appreciated
shane
Is there anyone who could chime in? Maybe someone's done this before just wanted to know if the bearing presses out of the bearing housing from the back it looks like, then you press the bearing apart? Thanks for any insight on this beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(shane @ May 7 2018, 09:14 AM) *

Is there anyone who could chime in? Maybe someone's done this before just wanted to know if the bearing presses out of the bearing housing from the back it looks like, then you press the bearing apart? Thanks for any insight on this beerchug.gif

If no one else chimes in, I have junk ones I can assault later today and take pics. I have never done it and have hear of it being done. I have seen people using the grease repacking tool that looks like two funnels and a zerk fitting.
Dr Evil
This
shane
That would be cool if you could post a few pics of the postop. Am just deciding on this last step before putting it back in the car. Already have the swepco101, Would be much appreciated!!!! aktion035.gif
rgalla9146
One pic tells the anatomy.
Lever the race out with two fine screwdrivers.
Don't damage the tin cover.
Lever the tin cover off with safety razors or putty knives.
Don't damage the tin cover
Clean and inspect thoroughly.
Retain balls (!) with new grease against outer race, install tin, use vise to re-install inner
race.
As they say in the mid-west...Walla !
shane
So that's how it comes apart!!! Cool thanks biggrin.gif
shane
Just finished cleaning and repacking my throw out bearing(checked for pitting and scoring and metal in the grease, looked good) just wanted to share some pics. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
shane
QUOTE(shane @ May 26 2018, 04:32 PM) *

Just finished cleaning and repacking my throw out bearing(checked for pitting and scoring and metal in the grease, looked good) just wanted to share some pics. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Forgot the dust/grease cover removal picClick to view attachment
mb911
I took mine apart and found no pitting but some rust.. Any thoughts about polishing that out?
shane
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 31 2018, 07:19 AM) *

I took mine apart and found no pitting but some rust.. Any thoughts about polishing that out?

Would think as long as it looks perfect when your done and it was just hazy surface rust you'd be okay probably.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.