Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bezerker420
just bought a wonderful '72 914 [tailshifter] the earlier less desired one right?

tranny is loose.....shifting is sloppy....

1st is a bitch to get into unless rolling, 2nd barks unless you ease it in, almost double-clutching is neccessary......4th likes to fall back into 2nd unless i slap the stick to the right before shifting..... any of these sound typical? or are tranny woes more uer specefic...?

any ideas on prolonging this box till i get the $$$ for my massIVe motor/tranny combo? this car is my daily driver......i can take it easy on her and ride it out tho....

[I think]
redshift
Typically unattended.

Get the shifter bushings sorted out ASAP, then see where you stand.

smile.gif

When they shift well..

Fun!

M
Dr Evil
I agree. First you must replace all of the bushings in the shift system. They are not all that expensive. If you do this, you may need to readjust your shift lever. After doing all of this, reasses your shifting and let us know what the symptoms are.
McMark
Replace them even if they look fine. All of them. Once you have good bushings, make sure the shifter is adjusted correctly.
Red-Beard
shifter adjustments:

http://home.san.rr.com/pb914/tail-adj.htm
xsboost90
i just sorted all of my shift bushings out, and now i can find gear,but i still have to ease it into second, and creeeep it into first. IM thinking my clutch is dragging slightly, and my synchros are probly toast. Make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly and not too loose/tight. Mine was too tight- no play in first inch or so and tight all the way to the floor- and it was making it real hard to shift. Loosened it abit and its much easier. Now if i can figure out my idle problems itll be golden.
Red-Beard
How about reverse? The typical symptom for dragging clutch or pilot bearing is that reverse also buzzes at a stand still.
Red-Beard
Open up my tranny article and read the last couple of pages. There are 2 bushings and a spring in the shifter itself, that almost no one ever changes. There is a lot of slop in those, and about $45 to fix. Click my homepage link. The parts are only available from Porsche, but you can order them from Pelican, who will get them from Porsche.

The tail shifter linkage will _never_ shift like a sideshifter.
Bezerker420
wow, im totoally stoked on the amont of feedback so quick, K+ thanks everbody!

i went and read a whole shitload of tech article on pelican parts site.....i was AMAZED at all the info there at my fingertips....godddamn the internet is cool smile.gif

i wish i had read through all that before running the same questions on here... oh well.....now we know...any other resources that compare to pelican or is that pretty good already?

reverse is fine....the symptoms are totally indicative to the bushing/tailshift issues

i also read about the ability to replace 1st and 2nd's syncros without removing the tranny iteself? thats awesome.....im not about to break into my tranny, but my mechanic buddie www.bugdoc.com will prolly get into it 4 me.... i like to let him handle things i dont feel confident in tackling myself...
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Bezerker420 @ Jun 9 2005, 12:15 AM)
i wish i had read through all that before running the same questions on here... oh well.....now we know...any other resources that compare to pelican or is that pretty good already?

A search here usually turns up good stuff.

I'm not opposed to new threads though, sometimes new info and ideas happen.

I wouldn't put much more into your tailshifter than new bushings. Pick up a side shifter, they aren't that much.
xsboost90
ends up my pilot bearing wasnt bad, i just didnt have one at all! dry.gif
Bezerker420
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jun 9 2005, 03:41 AM)
ends up my pilot bearing wasnt bad, i just didnt have one at all! dry.gif

that would still function? [albeit not very well?]

ok all....what ALL do i need to convert......i see on ebay ppl selling "everything you need....

1 was just a tranny end cap [side shif stylie]....

another was abunch of linkages + bars but without end cap.....

do you actually need BOTH of these things to convert?

Red-Beard
You need:

Entire Shift linkage
Shift Selector (Thing in the car)
Engine mount
Special conversion firewall bushing
New shift linkage covers (Trannys never seem to come with them)

Oh yeah, a sideshift tranny in good working order.
Dr Evil
I have a bar and an side shift cover biggrin.gif PM if interested
Bezerker420
why do you need a different engine mount?
Bleyseng
Early mount was different than the late mounting bar. The side shift bar has a hole in it for the shifter bar to go thru. I have one if you need it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.