Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for Scissor Lift Owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I am looking at buying a scissor lift. For those who own one, I presume it remains in one location, and it is parked over. But in my garage situation, which is 30' long, it would be convenient to push it to the back of the garage when not used, then bring out and position when needed. Is this feasible, or would this just be too much work?
bobboinski
I have a Bendpak MD-6XP. I move it around without too much difficulty. It is heavy so moving it isn't easy but not horrible either. The pump cart has wheels and a pin you put in the lift and then use the cart as a sort of hand truck to raise the front of the lift. Then the lift rolls around on its wheels.
Dion
QUOTE(bobboinski @ Apr 27 2018, 06:35 PM) *

I have a Bendpak MD-6XP. I move it around without too much difficulty. It is heavy so moving it isn't easy but not horrible either. The pump cart has wheels and a pin you put in the lift and then use the cart as a sort of hand truck to raise the front of the lift. Then the lift rolls around on its wheels.

Agree with above. It sounds like your not going to recess it. Just make sure you
have ground clearance for the 914. I had to make some ramps out of lumber
To clear the height of my Snap-on one.
bobboinski
QUOTE(Dion @ Apr 27 2018, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(bobboinski @ Apr 27 2018, 06:35 PM) *

Agree with above. It sounds like your not going to recess it. Just make sure you
have ground clearance for the 914. I had to make some ramps out of lumber
To clear the height of my Snap-on one.

I have to use ramps also, for the 993 and the 914.
Steve
I have the bend pack. I weigh 160 lbs and it’s a bitch to move around. I have to put all my weight on the handle bars just to get the front off the ground to pivot it side to side.
mepstein
My snap-on is movable but not portable. It's heavy. I think about 1K lbs. I park over it.
Mark Henry
For your app Maxjax or a low rise two post makes more sense
Or recess the scissor lift.
mlindner
I would recess in floor if you own the home. Build a cover for it, walk over it, drive on it. Raise up and you have a 4 foot x 8 foot work bench for all kinds of project. Push the handle and it all goes back in the floor. Can be done in a weekend. Best, Mark
mlindner
Couple of pictures of mine, I could drive over it to park car in the back of garage for the winter.....lift is off center in garage stall giving adequate room for brake and wheel service. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I just finished the install of the BendPak MDS 6LPF (6,000 lbs, mid-rise, flush-mount scissor lift). Recessed it and the hydraulic and airlines into the floor. Controls come in a free-standing cabinet but I removed them and installed them into my cabinet so they are concealed. So far it has lifted the 997.2, the Audi S3, an Audi SQ5 and a Honda Ridgeline with no problems. I am pretty sure it will lift the 914-6 with ease too.

BTW, the BendPak crew that handled the sale, delivery and installation of the lift were terrific people to deal with. I had everything ready for them so all they had to do was drop the lift into the floor and pull the lines through the floor-chase, install the motor in the cabinet, fill it with hydraulic fluid and connect the power. This is my 2nd BendPak lift and both times my experience was the same. Great people and great products. (No, I do not work for them in any capacity. smile.gif)

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Click to view attachment
mlindner
Cairo94507, Wow, thats the best I've seen yet. Great looking and love all the LED lights. Very cool. Mark
GeorgeRud
They are movable by one person using the pump cart as a trailer jack, though they are heavy. I made some movable ramps so I could use it in different areas of my garage.Click to view attachment
LowBridge
just finished this because our 914 is to low to ride over it. both boards are 2x8x10 pine lagged to the floor in 3 places each. it also has a stop block at the end which can be removed if needed.

Elliot Cannon
Here's mine. I love this lift because the ceiling in my garage (enclosed car port) is only 7 ft. high. I'll be 72 this year and believe me, crawling around underneath, getting up and down many times gets to be tiresome. biggrin.gif A reclining beach chair on a furniture dolly works great for rolling around underneath the car. To get the car to it's highest point, the targa bar and windshield have to go between the joists in the ceiling. laugh.gif This lift is about 1000lbs. It can be moved but it ain't easy. I would love to recess mine in the floor but maybe that's a project for the future. Way in the future. OK, maybe never. av-943.gif
Krieger
av-943.gif Elliot that rolling chairdolly is awesome! You should patent that.
mgphoto
EZ Car Lift is very portable and a few accessories make it even more useful.

Click to view attachment
Krieger
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 28 2018, 11:07 AM) *

EZ Car Lift is very portable and a few accessories make it even more useful.

Click to view attachment

agree.gif

I have one too! It weighs about 120lbs. Breaks apart into two large pieces and two brackets easily. I habe the detachable casters. Great tool. When I am not using it it stands up against my garage wall. All of 5" height.
Cairo94507
mlindner - Thanks bud. beerchug.gif After crawling around on the floor for the past 45+ years playing with cars I figured I was due.
bobboinski
This is kind of off topic. Has anyone here installed recessed up lights in the floor?
The one thing that drives me nuts (okay maybe not the only one) when working underneath a car is I never have enough light. Seems like lights in the floor could work.
Of course you would be blocking some with your body but if you had enough of them you'd be ok.
Cairo94507
bobboinski - I actually almost installed two floor lights, LED, in the flood between the lifting ramps. In the end, I thought I had gone over the edge of reasonable and elected not to do it. Now, after you mention it, I am like.......well....I could still add them....
bobboinski
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 28 2018, 08:33 PM) *

bobboinski - I actually almost installed two floor lights, LED, in the flood between the lifting ramps. In the end, I thought I had gone over the edge of reasonable and elected not to do it. Now, after you mention it, I am like.......well....I could still add them....

I'm still using ramps so I could do it. Seems reasonable and shouldn't be that tough....
burton73
Bell + Howell
LIGHT BAR by Bell + Howell 60 LED 16.5" Rechargeable, Black

$20.

Just use one or 2 of these.

Mine was plug and when the power went down I had light for the 30 Min.

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.