Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve clearances
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
After reading the haynes manual and some older posts in the archives I am not sure what is the proper valve clearance for a 1.8 L. Is it .006 intake .008 exhaust or .006 on both?
xsboost90
i believe according to haynes the clearances are both 0.006 for the 1.7/1.8, and .006 and .008 for the 2.0
joeav8tor
the valve clearances for a 1.7 or 1.8 are .006 for intake and exhaust.
Joe
jmargush
I checked Haynes and it says 1.7 .006 for both intake and exhaust

1.8/2.0 .006 intake .008 exhaust

Are they right or did they make a mistake?
joeav8tor
they are correct...go to the link provided on the bottom, it is the Pelican article on valve adjustments...it will confirm that on 1.7, 1.8.....006 and .006...and on a 2.0.....006 and .008.
good luck flag.gif
Joe
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_adjust.htm
Cap'n Krusty
Although their specs are right, only a fool would use their procedure for adjusting the valves. Try my method, found elsewhere on this site. The Cap'n
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 9 2005, 11:16 AM)
Although their specs are right, only a fool would use their procedure for adjusting the valves. Try my method, found elsewhere on this site. The Cap'n

agree.gif

you need a link to that in your Sig man!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 9 2005, 08:22 AM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 9 2005, 11:16 AM)
Although their specs are right, only a fool would use their procedure for adjusting the valves.  Try my method, found elsewhere on this site.  The Cap'n

agree.gif

you need a link to that in your Sig man!

Computer novice that I am, I dunno how to do that ............ The Cap'n
tat2dphreak
go to "my controls" at the top of the page...

on the left about 3/4 the way down : "edit signature"

put anything you like in the box, then click the "http" button, just like you are adding a link to a post, then put this as the URL:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...hl=adjust+valve

and whatever description you like...

beerchug.gif
jmargush
Let's try this again unless I am missing something
Haynes says
1.7 .006 intake .006 exhaust

1.8 .006 intatke .008 exhaust (not .006 exhaust)

2.0 .006 intake .008 exhaust

Everyone has been saying .006 for both on 1.8

Pelican article gives two different specs in article

So what is right
Cap'n Krusty
Sodium filled exhaust valves require .008" clearance. They were available on the aftermarket for the 1.8, but have been NLA for at least 20 years. It's unlikely you have them, and can only tell by removing a valve spring and reading the number on the valve stem. Given you probably don't have sodium filled exhaust valves, you should go with the factory recommendation of .006" for all the valves. Myths get started somewhere, maybe a missed key stroke, or some bad advice from a friend, and they grow and live on the internet without ANY restraint. Newbies ask, and the bad advice gets passed on, and it turns into a monster. Remember, you ALWAYS need to ask someone who KNOWS the answer, ans the REASONS for that answer. Opinion is one thing, the wrong answer presented as fact is another. The Pelican guys are nice, and they have a good website with lots of valuable information, but they don't seem real interested in correcting errors of fact.
The Cap'n
MarkV
So if you have a 2.0 with no sodium exhaust valves you should set them both at .006"??
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (MarkV @ Jun 9 2005, 09:51 AM)
So if you have a 2.0 with no sodium exhaust valves you should set them both at .006"??

IMO, yes. Why wouldn't you have sodium filled valves? However, it really wouldn't hurt the engine to run 'em at 008". Mind you, there are recommended clearances with many aftermarket camshafts that need to be followed. The Cap'n
MarkV
My heads are at HAM getting rebuilt. Len recomends losing the sodium valves in favor of SS valves with 8mm stems. He says they are prone to failure. Anybody need a set of sodium exhaust valves with 5,000 miles in them?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (MarkV @ Jun 9 2005, 10:25 AM)
My heads are at HAM getting rebuilt. Len recomends losing the sodium valves in favor of SS valves with 8mm stems. He says they are prone to failure. Anybody need a set of sodium exhaust valves with 5,000 miles in them?

Lemme see. The factory used them in 356s from about 1963, through the SCs for sure, and maybe later. You're gonna go with a smaller stem diameter (less area) in an area where heat transfer is what it's all about. I have never had a problem with the sodium filled valves, and I've worked on Porsches for 32 years +. The problem is HEAT, and HEAT TRANSFER. Infrequent valve adjustments, timing, cr*p on the fins, low oil, worn valve guides, cracked heads, the wrong plugs, and lean running, but not the sodium filled valves. SS valve technology must have come a LOOOOOONG way, because we tried 'em in T1 motors 25 years ago and were lucky to get 10000 miles out of them before the tips cot concave and the heads tuliped. How much you want for those old valves? Are the stems worn? The Cap'n
MarkV
The stems have no wear, they have 5,000 miles on them. How much? You tell me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.