Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helicoil experiences?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Deano
I have a stripped bolt to my oil temp sender cover plate. I've never used a helicoil before and I am wondering if it would work, or do you need to be able to drill all the way through the stripped hole? If it won't work, any ideas on another fix.

Thanks guys.
Mike D.
I would think that there is enough metal there to just tap it and use the net larger size nut. You would have drill the hole the cover plate larger too...
Deano
Yeah, I think you're probably right, probably easier than trying something new with possible bad results. Anyone ever strip one of these? Any further advice?
Mueller
QUOTE (Deano @ Jun 8 2005, 10:26 AM)
Yeah, I think you're probably right, probably easier than trying something new with possible bad results. Anyone ever strip one of these? Any further advice?

studs would be better than the 2 bolts that hold the plate...

Deano
Good idea, have you done this?
eg914
I stripped the case threads for the temp sender plate bolt. I couldn't stand the thought of two different sized bolts, so I did the helicoil. It wasn't difficult, other than finding the correct metric size, and has held up fine. I found the helicoil at the local Orchard.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Deano @ Jun 8 2005, 10:26 AM)
Any further advice?

i forgot the exact torque settings for those but it was *really* low ...

my advice, i always use the smallest ratchet i can find for those kind of jobs.
pretty hard to over-torque with one of those midget ratchets ...

also, do *not* re-use the copper crush washers, they need to be replaced ...
wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.