Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk latch worn out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hi, been busy and not posting here for a while. Getting my car up and running again and the rear trunk does not close. Hinges are fine. The latch is worn out, the long pin or lock (don't know the name) is seriously worn out and it does not fit into the female part anymore....looks like I need a new one. Are new ones available? I will try o attach a picture to explain better. If anyone has any advice let me know please. Thank you

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Take it apart and you will see it's conical shaped with a notch. The end of the cone and notch wear down and won't latch. Build it up with welds then grind it back to shape. Weld and grind till it latches.
nsr-jamie
I was thinking about that too, are not new ones available or even just the actual pin ?
brant
I have the same problem
and it just started failing 3 weeks ago as I was preparing for rt66

I was thinking about asking bruce or some of the common sources for used parts to sell me one.

I wish a brand new pin was available (rather than buying a used one)
I will follow this thread!

brant
dr914@autoatlanta.com
plenty of new available also just the perch
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 1 2018, 02:46 AM) *

Hi , the first place I looked was your site but could not find it on your site and posted here. I was thinking about a used one but since they wear down a new one would be best...

I just need the pin, the long part that fits into the hole. I don't need the spring or other parts....can you let me know prices and also I am in Japan so need shipping...its a small part so shouldn't cost much I guess...I also need a speedometer cable as well...my car is a 1972 4 cyl model on steroids. Thank you
Bartlett 914
I am sure Garold has several
914work
Do you just need the pin?
Elliot Cannon
Have you tried adjusting the length of the pin?
McMark
I've never seen one that couldn't be adjusted to work. Take a picture with the spring compressed. Cause I wanna see what this 'serious' wear looks like and learn what to watch out for. (no sarcasm)
McMark
Oh, and try putting that part into the bottom-latch and see if it stays.
914Sixer
New complete assembly from Sunset Porsche $119
dakotaewing
Doesn't bdstone914 also have these replated and ready to go?
Mikey914
Guys Id be happy to make just the pins, should be relatively inexpensive.
Mark
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(McMark @ May 2 2018, 06:52 AM) *

Oh, and try putting that part into the bottom-latch and see if it stays.

tried that already, does not fit anymore...tried everything, the pin is worn down there are no sharp edges on it like that picture 914 werke posted,

if someone has a new pin I would be very interested, thank you
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ May 2 2018, 08:46 AM) *

is that Bruce? is he still in the 914 parts business? I should contact him....tried in the past but did not hear back from him
bdstone914
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ May 1 2018, 04:46 PM) *

I do not have any pins. The bottom of the pin gets beat up and damaged. I do not have any more good ones.
Yes I say have Mark at 914 Rubber make the part. I could use at least six or more to assemble complete ones.

and for McMark I will post pics of the bad ones I have.
Bruce
dr914@autoatlanta.com

maybe you could file the pin and make it work again, since the rest of your latch is good. We have many many used pins, and since you are such a great customer of ours, we can send you a used one for free with your next order Jamie

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ May 1 2018, 08:51 AM) *

Hi , the first place I looked was your site but could not find it on your site and posted here. I was thinking about a used one but since they wear down a new one would be best...

I just need the pin, the long part that fits into the hole. I don't need the spring or other parts....can you let me know prices and also I am in Japan so need shipping...its a small part so shouldn't cost much I guess...I also need a speedometer cable as well...my car is a 1972 4 cyl model on steroids. Thank you

nsr-jamie
Hi George, thank you!! So how can I go about this...I would also like to order a speedometer cable while I am at it. My car is a 1972 1.7L model with a sideshifter transaxle. Thank you. Jamie

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 3 2018, 07:32 AM) *

maybe you could file the pin and make it work again, since the rest of your latch is good. We have many many used pins, and since you are such a great customer of ours, we can send you a used one for free with your next order Jamie

nsr-jamie
Hello George, I would like to order...how can I go about getting started please, thank you

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 3 2018, 07:32 AM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.