Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun with steering wheels . . .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NSFW
A short while ago I made up a wood rim steering wheel for my (hopefully) soon to be 914 trying to mimic the super expensive vintage wheel that was available for the 911. I had an old 914 wheel that the padding had been mostly stripped off of and an old rusted wood rim PIP steering wheel from the 60's. I ended up very recently selling the 914 wood rim conversion since I don't have the 914 body shell as yet and thought it might be best to pass it along to someone who could use it right now. I'm posting the photos of the "conversion" here, maybe some of you might like to see how easily it was done. maybe make one for yourself. The photos are pretty much in order of "assembly," showing most of the steps and source material right up to the finished steering wheel. Essentially it was a simple process to cut the center out of both steering wheels, weld the 914 center into the flat ring of the PIP wheel, metal finish, fill, and paint, then attach the re-finished wood sections with new fasteners. Loads of fun, mostly easy, and a pretty good use of two derelict steering wheels. Thanks—
tygaboy
Awesome.... aktion035.gif pray.gif
90quattrocoupe
Wow, just wow.

Greg W.
mobymutt
Very cool. Did you buy those wood bits, or did you have to make them from scratch?
NSFW
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Apr 30 2018, 03:05 PM) *

Very cool. Did you buy those wood bits, or did you have to make them from scratch?

The flat metal rim and wood sections came from the old PIP steering wheel, photo posted at the top of this tread. I've done this same thing with several 13.5 inch aluminum spoke steering wheels, but finding a 15 inch wood rim donor wheel was difficult, more difficult even than coming up with the trashed 914 wheel.

Here are a couple of photos of the other 13.5 wheels that I've done for Volkswagens and MGs. pretty much done in the same way as the 914 wheel except that the steel rim and aluminum armature were riveted together as they were with the originals. I might try another wheel or two for the 914, maybe the same as my first wood rimmed version, maybe different, maybe refurbish one of the aftermarket wheels currently available with an additional touch of class. It's a fun challenge, keeps my hand busy and my fingers out of my nose. Photos below, thanks !

whitetwinturbo
wub.gif pray.gif wub.gif
ConeDodger
That’s outstanding!
Mueller
That is some fine craftsmanship! Thanks for sharing.
porschetub
A guy I meet years ago was doing 356 wheels ,as a retired joiner he was buying old 356 wheels and making the wood with finger joints and riveted on ,he sold many to the US but decided to much work,honest they were remarkable.
NSFW
I found another old/trashed wood rim steering wheel last night to use for the wood and outer flat steel rim, if anyone has a damaged/worn/stripped original 914 steering wheel for sale, please get in touch. Wouldn't mind making up another wheel like the one shown here if I could locate an old 914 wheel to use as a starting point. Thanks—
Spoke
Very nice work.
tomh
How about this
HerdofCrickets
QUOTE(tomh @ May 1 2018, 12:01 PM) *

How about this

Super old thread, I know.

I have 2 extra 914 steering wheels and I'd like to make one of them into a nice glossy wood steering wheel... How do you get the middle Porsche cap to stay in place, but also pop off if needed so you can remove the wheel?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.