Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black paint for gas tank, tin, swing arms...etc etc
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downerman
I know it's considered a simi-gloss but I'm looking for a nice correct black paint that I can spray for my gas tank, swing arms, engine tin and other stuff. Any suggestions?

Also on the 1973 2.0 the passenger door, under the arm rest lives a little formed piece. I have seen them with a molded hardened cardboard with vinyl on it and I have been offered an all plastic one. Can anyone tell me which is correct for the 1973?

Tom_T
QUOTE(Downerman @ Apr 30 2018, 06:24 PM) *

I know it's considered a simi-gloss but I'm looking for a nice correct black paint that I can spray for my gas tank, swing arms, engine tin and other stuff. Any suggestions?

It's called a Satin "Grey Black" by VW-Porsche, & there are some current paints suggested in a couple of O&H Forum topics/threads (semi-gloss is too shiny, & matte is too flat). Look for them to see what others have found to match. The one by Tod914 on his 73 Bahia Red was a great source for the correct black, & he also talks about the black undercoating which he spent hours-&-hours removing in his refurbishment.

I think that #17 &/or #18 t this link may be pretty close to correct, but try a test of it against your best example of the original to see if & which is best:
http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.as...swagen-pg01.jpg

Also on the 1973 2.0 the passenger door, under the arm rest lives a little formed piece. I have seen them with a molded hardened cardboard with vinyl on it and I have been offered an all plastic one. Can anyone tell me which is correct for the 1973?

IIRC they came in both, but don't know the actual changeover date, but Porsche did a lot of cost cutting in 74> MYs due to the fast escalating West Germany Deutche Mark of that day vs. the US Dollar, in order to keep the 914s price competitive.
Since it's covered by the vinyl, you can probably use either under material.

Downerman - see my blue notes above. I also got an answer on the black sills & put it into your other thread.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
Webe just started carrying the paint and will be listing it on the site shortly. Its an exact match.

Mark
doug_b_928
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 1 2018, 07:47 PM) *

Webe just started carrying the paint and will be listing it on the site shortly. Its an exact match.

Mark

Is it satin and is it single stage or 2k?
TheCabinetmaker
I use a 30% gloss black single stage enamel from my local auto paint supply. I add a bit of hardener to get the perfect satin gloss
aggiezig
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 1 2018, 07:47 PM) *

Mark

I'd be interested in this as well. Is it a 2K urethane type product?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.