Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil cooler leaking?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben1440
Right now i have my engine out to fix an oil leak. When i got all the engine tin off, it seemed that my oil cooler was covered in oil on the opposite side of where the oil comes into it. it just so happens the oil cooler its next to/above a push rod tube i beleive was leaking oil.

from talking to people and some other posts, no one has shared an experience of a leaky oil cooler so it doesnt seem to be the most likely thing. Is it possilbe that if oil was leaking out of the push rod tube seal next the the oil cooler, air could somehow be pushing the oil up? Or...should i just replace the oil cooler?
tod914
Can have it pressure tested at a radiator shop I believe. If you elect not to replace it, as a minimum, replace the seals.
ThinAir
Although the coolers can leak, the most likely causes in the same area are the oil pressure sender (on top of the case, near the distributor) and the oil cooler seals. The OPS is the most frequent cause of leaks that I've found. Although I've replaced oil cooler seals, I've never had that solve my leak - it's always been the OPS instead. The only way to know for sure about the oil cooler is to have it tested, but it's most likely that the oil came from somewhere else and got sprayed onto the cooler by the air moving through that area.
joeav8tor
I recently detinned my engine to paint them and to do a tune up ...I had an obvious oil leak from the oil pressure switch on top of the motor next to the distributor...the oil leaked down in the vicinity of the oil cooler (same side) I installed a new pressure switch as well as replaced the oil cooler and push rod tube seals...my goal was to get the engine as leak free as possible...if your engine is out...do it right and replace the above mentioned items...the parts are not expensive and there are tech articles on each of the procedures...and it is not o time consuming...have fun.
Joe flag.gif
bernbomb914
They can leak I blew one up on my new engine when the oil was cold and the pump put out to much pressure. get it checked. a new one just over $100.00 at Jakes

Bernie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.