Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: getting bumper re-chromed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I found a local shop that can re-chrome my '72 bumpers. They are in okay shape, but have a few dents and scratches and some minor rust. I got a quote for $900 for both, turnaround time 3 weeks.

Is there anything I should ask or look out for when I go to the shop?
Tom_T
Make sure that they take out & smooth any dents & dings first, do a good job of stripping the bumpers, then filling any rust pits, then that they do a good triple-plating job - copper-nickel-chrome - & they should work the copper through several platings & resmoothing because that's where they get it dead slick, & the nickel & chrome only add the shine.

Check with Bruce Stone/bdstone on here for the shop he's used or knows about up in the north SF Valley close to you, in case they don't do the above, &/or if you want to check prices. I don't recall the shop's name offhand, but Bruce has had a lot of 914 bumpers rechromed from driver to concours quality - so he can also offer advice.

You should've swung by College of the Canyons on Sunday for the Porsche car show. Only Mike Kelly was there with his yellow 73 (not entered, but helping). We needed more 914s & 914 folks! biggrin.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 1 2018, 03:16 PM) *

Make sure that they take out & smooth any dents & dings first, do a good job of stripping the bumpers, then filling any rust pits, then that they do a good triple-plating job - copper-nickel-chrome - & they should work the copper through several platings & resmoothing because that's where they get it dead slick, & the nickel & chrome only add the shine.

Check with Bruce Stone/bdstone on here for the shop he's used or knows about up in the north SF Valley close to you, in case they don't do the above, &/or if you want to check prices. I don't recall the shop's name offhand, but Bruce has had a lot of 914 bumpers rechromed from driver to concours quality - so he can also offer advice.

You should've swung by College of the Canyons on Sunday for the Porsche car show. Only Mike Kelly was there with his yellow 73 (not entered, but helping). We needed more 914s & 914 folks! biggrin.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to ask at the shop.

I sent Bruce a PM.

I saw that show as I drove by! My car is in pieces (I'm getting it ready to paint). I didn't know there was show there.
aggiezig
BTW - what shop are you using? I'm moving to LA in the fall and will need to find a shop to tackle my bumpers.
pete000
I have a couple sets of bumper in need of some love. What shop did you go with?
Larmo63
Try Verne's in Vernon......
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 1 2018, 06:16 PM) *

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I've seen a few re-chromed bumpers.
They're typically poorly prepared.
Little attention is paid to the long gentle curves that make the difference between
a so so job and a bumper that looks new.
The three big panels should get special attention so they can be viewed from any angle and show no ripples or irregularities.
I've heard that 'Pauls' chrome does excellent work.
They advertise nationally.
No affiliation.
Dr Evil
Funny, this thread just resurrected, too.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=325784
914 RZ-1
I'm looking at a place in Valencia called CalChrome. I prefer to patronize local businesses if I can.

I talked to a guy named David: 661-735-1855.

It was awhile ago; I was waiting to do this in order to spread out the expenses.

I may contact him again and check out the shop. Maybe we can get a group rate!
mb911
Again I still can't believe they can't be done cheaper outside of California..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.