Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ANY INFO ON FIRST 1000 73' 914 DIFFERENCES?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
a couple weeks ago i posted some some pics off my sons 914 that collided into a drunk and her son drunk.gif who ran a stop icon_bump.gif (2-way stop,it was determined 100% her fault and she was cuffed and arrested smash.gif ) fortunately my son and wife seem to be overall o.k.. clap.gif
now the fun part of dealing with the insurance, they say its should be fixable but i am a little worried. the body shop gave a estimate of $5800-ouch-.
i would like to know more about the first 1000 of the 73' 1.7's which mine is. auto atlanta gave me some scolding mad.gif when i asked about parts converting to 916 and he saw pic's and checked v.i.n.. the only thing i know at this point is it has 1)vinyl around windsheild 2)A.R. rims (dealer installed?)

ANY KNOWLEGE WILL BE GREATLY APPRICIATED!
thanks
Mueller
$5800 in repairs??

ouch indeed...I'm sure the insurance company will be totalling it, what have they said??

as for AA and "converting it" to a 916???, do you mean just the 'glass bumpers and GT flares?

there is more to a 916 than the ugly bumpers....steel welded roof, a special 6 motor, the list goes on and on....now why they gave you bad time, who knows, I guess they don't want to sell you anything or you are just asking the wrong questions

you might find more about the vinyl on the a-pillars in one of the 914 info/restoration books.....if trying to determine if your car is "special" and overly rare to be worth more than your average 914 in the same condition...well, only if you like the extra vinyl and the rims are a dime a dozen, so it's more of a personal choice............
SLITS
Lightweight doors (no bar), single bleeder rear/front calipers.....that's about what I noticed on the one that I have. Won't call GH, 'cause we're cutting this one up due to *****gasp***** Kalifornia rust.
brer
whats the big deal about the first 1000 73's?
and whats the vin range?
mudfoot76
QUOTE (brer @ Jun 8 2005, 02:48 PM)
whats the big deal about the first 1000 73's?

Supposedly, the first 1000 to roll out for the 1973 model year were initially slated for the German market. Front bumper was drilled for a euro liscence plate, vinyl on the A pilar, and maybe some other cosmetic stuff. Demand was hot enough in the USA that Porsche decided to ship them over and have 'em rebadged for our market instead of as VW-Porsches.

I supposedly have one of these cars. My front bumper has the holes for the euro plate, and vinyl on the A-pilar. But all of the PO's have had their ways, and whatever additional value this car might have been in original condition is gone with the new paint job, spoilers, removal of interior, hacking the center console, etc....
Rouser
QUOTE (orange914 @ Jun 8 2005, 03:11 PM)
the body shop gave a estimate of $5800

The car will be totaled. No way the insurance company is gonna pay $5,800 (!) in repairs; the car just ain't worth that much, nothing remarkable about it.

Most insurance companies have a percentage of vehicle's value they are willing to spend (usually in the 40% range) on collision repairs before it's wriiten off. Think your car's worth $9,600?

Get as much from the total estimate as you can, and go shop for a replacement.
Mueller
Supposedly, the first 1000 to roll out for the 1973 model year were initially slated for the German market

yes, but does that make them "worth" more than the 914's made before or after that batch of 1000???

I think not, unless you "have" to "have" those few items to make your car different.....

if you could get the car appraised to have a higher value, you might have a better chance of getting more money from the insurance company or when you take the woman to court to cover the additional money lost due to her negligance....
SirAndy
i always liked the vinyl on the windshield hoop ...

i think they're special, but i'm the freak among the 914 addicts, so don't listen to me.
rolleyes.gif Andy

PS: save her, don't part her out. it's fixable ...
tommy914
My 914 is in this group of early 73 cars. It had the vinyl around the window, which I removed many years ago thinking it was as aftermarket add-on since the bottom edge wasn't convered with trim.

Anyway, you will also likely find that your front rotors are NOT hub centric, unless someone has replaced them. I finally replaced my fronts with hub centric rotors, which cured my front end vibration.

The window mechanisms will likely be the 72's mechanism, not the better 73 mechanism.

I've also noticed that the wiring harness appears to be more like the 72.
Andyrew
Whatever they give you will be fine.. probably 4-5k.

buy back the car, and start modifying it....

When You said it was the first 1000k, I was like.. ok... big deal.. lol

Yes, it is a little lighter, and has some interesting body stuff.. but its not worth (much) more,

Take the money they give you.. get fiberglass fenders w/ flares and get to work on that sucker!!

Might have enough money for a v8 conversion wink.gif

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.