Full Version: Stolen Blue 1974 914 & Trailer...reward offered
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ValcoOscar
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tro/d/s...6577160593.html

Member here?
Mueller
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 2 2018, 09:50 AM) *

That sucks.

Didn't another member here get his trailer stolen after suffering a blown tire on the trailer and having to go get another tire?

Seems like someone needs to do a sting operation and bury a few thieves.
73-914
sounds like you need a Hunting party
jim_hoyland
VIN is 4742917374
If seen one eBay contact owner at 714-872-one five seven zero

Added to VIN database
**Ownet has restored this 914 over the last 25 years
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 2 2018, 11:14 AM) *

VIN is 4742917374

Thx Jim

What's strange is that stretch of hwy is well traveled with traffic during that time period.
Someone saw something. I was going the opposite way there @ 3pm.

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 2 2018, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 2 2018, 11:14 AM) *

VIN is 4742917374

Thx Jim

What's strange is that stretch of hwy is well traveled with traffic during that time period.
Someone saw something. I was going the opposite way there @ 3pm.

Another good reason to install a LoJack in a trailer......
Beach914
I saw that on Craigslist also and was going to post.

Wondering if it belonged to anyone here.....
aggiezig
That really sucks. I can't even imagine how the owner feels right now. Hoping for a speedy recovery of this fine teener.
jim_hoyland
If someone should run across a blue 914 and wonder whether it’s the stolen one; The last four VIN digits are 7374
Easy two remember; 73 and 74 are two of the more desirable year models: I know.... smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
mad.gif Thieves suck! ar15.gif

Now the hard lesson for everyone that pulls a trailer. There is NO excuse for not having a spare and if you have double axle trailer then 2 spares. I would rather pull my trailer with 4 flats then leave it along side any road unwatched while I go to find a place to buy a replacement tire (or 2).

Also carry some heavy duty ratchet straps if you have a dual axle trailer. If you don't have a spare then in a pinch you could rig up the axel with no tire on it so it doesn't touch the ground and slowly pull it hopefully to a safer place than leaving it along a highway unattended.
pete000
Wow, I remember when no one wanted a 914 not even car thief's ! Times are a changing!
tomh
Should never have left that on the side of the hi way
mepstein
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 2 2018, 04:09 PM) *

Now the hard lesson for everyone that pulls a trailer. There is NO excuse for not having a spare and if you have double axle trailer then 2 spares. I would rather pull my trailer with 4 flats then leave it along side any road unwatched while I go to find a place to buy a replacement tire (or 2).

Also carry some heavy duty ratchet straps if you have a dual axle trailer. If you don't have a spare then in a pinch you could rig up the axel with no tire on it so it doesn't touch the ground and slowly pull it hopefully to a safer place than leaving it along a highway unattended.

agree.gif I also carry a can or 2 of fix a flat.
jim_hoyland
A about a year or so ago, a member here had his trailered 914 stolen at a Motel. IIRC, they abandoned the 914 and kept the trailer.... sad.gif
Are trailers the low hanging fruit ?
Mueller
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 2 2018, 03:19 PM) *

A about a year or so ago, a member here had his trailered 914 stolen at a Motel. IIRC, they abandoned the 914 and kept the trailer.... sad.gif

The thieves can use the trailer to steal more stuff... that and usually people have tools or generators and other goodies that are easier to sell in a trailer.
Cairo94507
I guess it is safe to say the owner called the CHP to see if it was towed off the freeway by them. I hope he finds his car in perfect condition still inside the trailer.
whitetwinturbo
......buy Triple A membership and stay with the trailer no matter what! My good friend had his empty trailer swiped ........... ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif put a gps device on EVERYTHING chair.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ May 2 2018, 07:36 PM) *

......buy Triple A membership and stay with the trailer no matter what! My good friend had his empty trailer swiped ........... ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif put a gps device on EVERYTHING chair.gif

Good idea on GPS device idea.gif
EdwardBlume
This sucks! I hope it gets better.
914-300Hemi
This really sucks.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 2 2018, 05:09 PM) *

To add to Garold’s rant, trailer tires are usually spec’d at 50psi or there about. If you don’t check them, they’ll piss out 25psi and you’ll go through tires like they’re nada. If you’re lucky. The trailer will not tow correctly and you could lose your load and more.
No excuse for not checking your trailer tires. They live a hard life, almost always outside and most don’t bother to check pressures.
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 2 2018, 03:21 PM) *

The thieves can use the trailer to steal more stuff... that and usually people have tools or generators and other goodies that are easier to sell in a trailer.

Yep, had my trailer stolen while stored at a friends house. They used my trailer and his trailer to haul away his 5 collector cars, 3 motorcycles and a bunch of shop equipment. Clearly they made multiple trips while he was out of town. Police recovered all of the cars but said that we will never see the trailers again. As long as they're attached to a registered vehicle law enforcement doesn't really pay attention to them.

Really empathize with the Craigslist poster. That sucks and I hope he gets his stuff back.
Lucky9146
When I was up at Marty's (maltese falcon) picking up my header last week I noticed he had these wheel locks on his trailer. 4 of them! Marty said in spite of them, someone still tried to steel it thinking they would break off in the process. They were wrong. They got a half a block with the trailer.

I immediately came home and bought 4 off Amazon. Not cheap but my trailer is worth it!
It has to slow them down.

Thanks once again Marty! beerchug.gif
white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Had a friend lose his trailer with race prepped 914 inside. Two days later the 914 was found in a mall parking lot. Trailer theft is huge in Oklahoma, with no title , registration, or tag on a trailer.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ May 3 2018, 12:33 PM) *

When I was up at Marty's (maltese falcon) picking up my header last week I noticed he had these wheel locks on his trailer. 4 of them! Marty said in spite of them, someone still tried to steel it thinking they would break off in the process. They were wrong. They got a half a block with the trailer.

I immediately came home and bought 4 off Amazon. Not cheap but my trailer is worth it!

white914.jpg

agree.gif

I get the point, I have to get a boot or two and a GPS device on my trailer right away.

I thank you but my wallet doesn't. lol-2.gif

Oscar
Amphicar770
I have a SPOT hidden on my trailer. Sends text alert if any movement and also tracks location. Wheel locks simply slow down the crook. Ones shown can be cut in about 30 seconds each with a portable grinder cutoff.

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ May 3 2018, 02:33 PM) *

white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

bulitt
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 2 2018, 04:09 PM) *

Good Advice!

Possibly attaching one of these trackers to the trailer and car. Not as useful as a lojack but very affordable. It uses Crowd Tracking to find the device. Anyone with the app on the phone that drives within 100 feet of the device sends your the location.
Better than nothing IMHO
https://www.amazon.com/TrackR-pixel-Bluetoo...creative=165953

With todays cordless cut off saws and grinders thieves can get into anything very quickly.
jim_hoyland
smile.gif smile.gif Good News smile.gif smile.gif

“I got my 914 back and the car trailer! I got a lucky tip from someone off craigslist add that showed the car and info about 2k reward ! The guy never asked for $ so i gave him 400.00 cash anyways ! Thank u so much for your help and concerns ! Please let the club know that i recovered it and thank them also for there looking out and spreading the word and vin #s ! William Fruehe”

Can you believe this .
Coondog
Great news.
PanelBilly
An old cell phone hardwired to the battery. Doesn’t cost much to add to your account and you can use find my phone to track
Shadowfax
That is terrific news! May the thieves be stricken with a debilitating case of hemorrhoids
Cairo94507
Terrific news. beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Finally a happy ending!
jkb944t
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 8 2018, 09:56 PM) *

smile.gif smile.gif Good News smile.gif smile.gif

“I got my 914 back and the car trailer! I got a lucky tip from someone off craigslist add that showed the car and info about 2k reward ! The guy never asked for $ so i gave him 400.00 cash anyways ! Thank u so much for your help and concerns ! Please let the club know that i recovered it and thank them also for there looking out and spreading the word and vin #s ! William Fruehe”

Can you believe this .

Wow, you are so very lucky! Most stories like this don't have such a good ending.

Jeff B
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree probably just wanted the trailer, happened here in Atlanta about a year ago, two 911s in a big enclosed trailer, stole the trailer, found out about the cars, off loaded them, they recovered the Porsches but never the trailer.

DRPHIL914
I think they should do to car thieves what they used to do to horse thieves! if ya know what I mean

Jim, did they find out who did the dead, or just locate the car and trailer?
ValcoOscar
I think Ed Turbo and I punished him at our SoCal Fun Day event last year. av-943.gif

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 10 2018, 09:33 AM) *

Jim, did they find out who did the dead, or just locate the car and trailer?

The story is unclear; I posted what the owner texted me....Don’t know him and not a member here, although he is a long time 914 owner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.