Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please attach your drool bib
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
Just arrived today. It will go in hopefully within the next week. I didnt expect it to arrive so quick!

Thanks
James

smilie_pokal.gif driving-girl.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif clap.gif

And for those of you who dont have one

na na na na na na

And for those who have no idea

http://www.jwesteng.com/

double-a
i installed mine a month ago, so there. driving.gif laugh.gif

~a
Joe Bob
Me three....nanner nanner,,,, bootyshake.gif
736conver

Z let me know when your stuff arrives
messix
your NOT going to put a boot over that ....are you? biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
mad.gif

Jealous and coveting
bjorn jacobson
Looks good Brian. Let us know how you like it when it's installed. Look forward to seeing it in July or August.

Later,

BJ
JoeSharp
Brian: your seat brackets are on the way.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
rick 918-S
drooley.gif wub.gif
Joe Ricard
I will only covet for a minute. I gotta got drive my car which shifts very well.
ArtechnikA
i've had mine for 2 years and love it with every shift ...
anthony
Has anyone tried making their own short shifter out of a Mustang shifter? These look similar to the rennshift and could probably be modified to work.

user posted image

user posted image
airsix
QUOTE (anthony @ Jun 8 2005, 05:00 PM)
Has anyone tried making their own short shifter out of a Mustang shifter? These look similar to the rennshift and could probably be modified to work.

Sure, buy a bunch of sacrificial shifters, invest in a relationship with a local machine shop, devote 2 years to R&D and you'll have a $25,000 Rennshift knockoff. dry.gif I think you'd be money ahead to write James a check.

-Ben M.
jonwatts
I'd be more money ahead if you'd write James a check for me.

pwetty pwease? wub.gif
ablose58
Had mine since wcc2005 but alas no time to install yet ,too friggin busy,oh nuts headbang.gif
Red-Beard
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 8 2005, 02:00 PM)
mad.gif

Jealous and coveting

Quit your coveting and get the engine in the car... smash.gif
lotus_65
yes, yes, yes. i was looking at that... until i cross-referenced the idea with my financials.

shifter envy!
ppickerell
I bought a new gen Jwest from HPH and I am hoping to have it installed soon (yea right). I have been in the machining business for 30 years and I can tell you that is one nice piece of work. Definite evidence of pride in worksmanship. Worth the extra money. I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT!
JWest
QUOTE (anthony @ Jun 8 2005, 08:00 PM)

I can tell you mine is better. I have owned every version of aftermarket shifter for internal rail transmissions (the mustang type) and the RennShift is and improvement over all of them.

There is no compromise in my design for mass production, and it is custom fit for the shift throw and knob height in our cars. Aftermarket Mustang shifters are NOT cheap either, and by the time you bought all the other materials and invested the time to create your own, you would have been well ahead to by the RennShift. I am not gouging anyone with the price - it is a great value for what you get and there is not that much room left in the price to make it worthwhile to build your own.

Just as a hint of the troubles, the mustang shifter stick is about half the length of the 914 stick and the bias springs are a little light for most most Porsche owners. If you double the length of the stick, you increase the leverage on teh springs, and they become almost worthless. Can you find springs in a batch less than 1000 that fit your mustang shifter and provide the desired load without binding? That's just a taste of the issues that you would face.

If you really want to convert a mustang shifter - let me know and I will give you some tips - it's not like you would be able to resell them for less than the RennShift and make a profit! smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (anthony @ Jun 8 2005, 06:00 PM)

user posted image

user posted image

I thought about it for about 30 seconds and amazingly the thought left my brain just as fast as it entered screwy.gif

B&M has a shifter for a Nissan S240 (??) that looks like it could be made to work...key phase here,could be made to work .....I'm sure I could make one, but it's not worth the hassels and learning curve for the money saved...

besides, I have a cable shifter on its way smash.gif
...opps, did I say that out loud??? biggrin.gif
Dave-O
Very nice Brian!!!

Hopefully I'll make it down there this summer to check it out.

Happy 914ing,

David
SGB
Boy, those are nice. I'll haveta wait until next year- sometime after I get Redbeard to rebuild my transmission
nine14cats
Can the Rennshift be adjusted when installed in the car? JLO came with a Rennshift and I'll be damned if I can shift it. The first to second grinds the hell out of reverse and if I push it a little to the center I catch 4th instead of 2nd....no fun at the moment...can't shift very fast.

Of course I'm the guy who missed the 3rd to 4th shift at Buttonwillow and blew my motor....so I guess it could be a user problem.... laugh.gif

Seriously, can I adjust the tension down or is there a secret "wrist motion" to it?

Bill P. blink.gif
Dr Evil
Undo the bolt at the end of the shifter under the console. Rotate rod to the passenger side and re tighten. You have your shifter adjusted wrong at the union from the Rennshifter to the tunnel shift rod.

The easiest way to adjust is to find third (center, bottom. It gives you two of the axis there), loosen the bolt mentiooned above and place the shifter lever where third should be (dead center lower), re tighten bolt. Enjoy.
JWest
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 8 2005, 11:48 PM)
Undo the bolt at the end of the shifter under the console. Rotate rod to the passenger side and re tighten. You have your shifter adjusted wrong at the union from the Rennshifter to the tunnel shift rod.

The easiest way to adjust is to find third (center, bottom. It gives you two of the axis there), loosen the bolt mentiooned above and place the shifter lever where third should be (dead center lower), re tighten bolt. Enjoy.

Good desciption. Thanks. Additionally, if the linkage is bad (loose set screws, bad bushings) then the RennShift will never work right.

The whole point of the RennShift is to make shifting intuitive - so there is no "trick" to finding the gears.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.