Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with transmission intermediate plate gasket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
I have a leaky transmission and started to replace the seals in it. I was going to do the end cover, but not the intermediate plate. However, once I broke the rear cover loose the intermediate plate pulled loose too.

So after a few minutes of puckering up, I pulled the gear stack. I think I read somewhere that there was always 3 gaskets used in varying thicknesses. Mine as far as I can tell only had 2 gaskets.

When I measure the 2 gaskets where they were pressed flat together on the intermediate plate I get .18mm, if I measure the thickness where there is a recess in the plate I get .20mm I am guessing the .20mm would be the right number?

I also see there was a hand scribed numbering on pinion gear 327 on one side and an n23 on the other. If I was a guessing man I would think the n23 would be the gasket target thickness (.23mm)

Any words of wisdom on this? I am starting to feel I am quickly getting over my head.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ May 2 2018, 05:19 PM) *

I have a leaky transmission and started to replace the seals in it. I was going to do the end cover, but not the intermediate plate. However, once I broke the rear cover loose the intermediate plate pulled loose too.

So after a few minutes of puckering up, I pulled the gear stack. I think I read somewhere that there was always 3 gaskets used in varying thicknesses. Mine as far as I can tell only had 2 gaskets.

When I measure the 2 gaskets where they were pressed flat together on the intermediate plate I get .18mm, if I measure the thickness where there is a recess in the plate I get .20mm I am guessing the .20mm would be the right number?

I also see there was a hand scribed numbering on pinion gear 327 on one side and an n23 on the other. If I was a guessing man I would think the n23 would be the gasket target thickness (.23mm)

Any words of wisdom on this? I am starting to feel I am quickly getting over my head.

Normally there is three gaskets, but not always. Measure the existing gaskets, and duplicate the thickness with the new gaskets.

mtndawg
I'm recommending you go to the clinic in LA.
TravisNeff
Here is the markings on the pinion shaft
jcd914
The 327 is a pairing number, the ring gear will also have the 327 engraved on it.
The n23 is a deviation number that references how far from the designed engagement depth the ring and pinion had to be set for the quietest running position.

Each paired ring and pinion were set up on a jig and run while the sound was mearsured.
The pinion depth was initially set at the designed pinion depth and adjusted to find where it ran quietest. The difference between the designed depth and the adjusted depth was then marked on the pinion. This measurement is used to set up the ring and pinion in the transmission at assembly and repair.

Of course it requires expensive tools and is a pita to do the set up.

It does not directly relate to the gasket thickness since the case dimensions can vary slightly.

Jim
TravisNeff
Thanks for the great explanation Jim!
914 Ranch
Hey Travis, that was good, I am laughing.
The good Dr had 2 seminars at my house and​ from what I recall there are 3 thickness of gaskets in the kit. You need to replace the gaskets with the ones that are closest in thickness to the ones that you removed. Measure the old gaskets in an uncrushed area and see how they relate to the new gaskets.
I hope this helps.
Joe
TravisNeff
Thanks Joe~!

Measuring in the uncrushed area was the answer I was looking for. Appears I need to get .2mm worth of gaskets. Whoop!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.