Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oregon DEQ
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrcui
Anyone got any suggestion on getting my teener through? I bought my first teener a month ago. I took the car the day I got it to the DEQ station but it failed because of a high/low idle.

I took it to shop and got it tuned up (new wires, plugs, distrbutor, etc.), replaced the fuel pressure sensor, oil changed, and replaced vacuum hoses. I took it to DEQ again and I still haven't pasted the inspection. The car was idle much better but the CO2 level was twice the allowance.

The air smog pump isn't work (its installed, the belt is on, but no movement) and I have no charcoal canister - would those be big contributing factors?

Need help.... wife getting mad about the cash outflow......

Aloha,
Vince
Beaverton, Oregon

confused24.gif
skline
That sucks, in California the 75 is now exempt. I have a smog pump and canister if you need one. Let me know and for the cost of shipping you can have them. Gotta get your car on the road. Your wife will love it once it is legal to drive.
Allan
If the air pump is installed and the belt is on but doesn't turn, the rubber damper on the drive pulley is probably sheared. You will need to get that replaced before you can run the pump.
morph
No DEQ outside of the city of portland area. We live in Amity now, but we lived in Portland, and had our car registered at my mothers address and didn't need to mess with DEQ.

HIEDI
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jrcui @ Jun 8 2005, 05:05 PM)
the CO2 level was twice the allowance.

i'm confused too.

who measures CO2 ?

CO i could believe.

are you trying to run premium gas?
excessive CO is one symptom of premium gas in a regular-gas car.

post *all* the numbers -- HC, CO, NOx.

i'm still skeptical about the CO2 ...
Cap'n Krusty
You need the Evap, and you need a smog pump drive. I think you meant CO, not CO2, and the air pump will reduce the CO. How are the HCs? Real numbers in front of me will help diagnose your problem. If the HCs are high, adjusting the valves to .016" for the test will bring 'em right down. Is the CO high at both idle and high RPM? If just at idle, that can be adjusted a bit at the ECU. I have a pump drive for sale, BTW.
The Cap'n
jrcui
Thanks for all the help... Here are some of the answers to your questions:

1. Test Results:
HC PPM MAX / CO% MAX/ IDLE SPEED RPM / SMOKE
88 / 5.42 / 1027 / PASS
AFTER 2500 RPM
99 / 6.16 / 1010

2. Yes, I recently put premium gas in because of a posting I read on the Pelican board.

If the rubber damper is sheared, anyone know where to get one?

Aloha, Vince
Bullet
QUOTE (morphenspectra @ Jun 8 2005, 02:51 PM)
No DEQ outside of the city of portland area. We live in Amity now, but we lived in Portland, and had our car registered at my mothers address and didn't need to mess with DEQ.

HIEDI

I just moved out to Newberg. I have been trying to find info on if i have to go to DEQ now or not. On DEQ's website it asks for the zipcode and then it tells me that based on my zipcode I have to call and find out if im in a smog area or not. Would you know if i have to go threw or not? I live right off of River road if that helps at all
morph
QUOTE (Bullet @ Jun 8 2005, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (morphenspectra @ Jun 8 2005, 02:51 PM)

HIEDI

I just moved out to Newberg. I have been trying to find info on if i have to go to DEQ now or not. On DEQ's website it asks for the zipcode and then it tells me that based on my zipcode I have to call and find out if im in a smog area or not. Would you know if i have to go threw or not? I live right off of River road if that helps at all

According to the website, it says Portland and Medford areas. I wouldn't think that Newberg is a part of the DEQ testing. We also live in Yamhill county (Amity) and we aren't required to do DEQ testing.

HIEDI
Yoei66
This is crazy!!! I live right in Portland, close in!! I regestered my 914 four months ago, from out of state, & no DEQ!! Why would the burbs require a deq & Portland proper not. What the hell is going on here in Oregon clover.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Jun 8 2005, 11:14 PM)
What the hell is going on here in Oregon clover.gif

It's a whacky state.
Yoei66
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Jun 9 2005, 12:40 AM)
[/QUOTE]
It's a whacky state.

That it is! smoke.gif
Rough_Rider
Is yours a realy 75 model year, or was it built in 74. If somehow you can prove its a 74 your deq exempt.

Otherwise post all your emmisions data & the boys here will help you out.
Cap'n Krusty
The air pump ain't gonna fix that much CO. The MPS is probably bad, or the hose has a hole in it, or the fuel pressure it waaaaaayyy too high. Again, I have a fan drive for sale. The rubber connector is part of it, and isn't available as a separate part. Never was. Forget the production date, the MY is ALWAYS what they go by. My Audi was built in February 1989, but it's a 1990. My 911 was built in June of 1965, but the state calls it a 1966, despite the fact that I know of a number of later cars registered as '65s. If you have to get it smogged, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and get the equipment. The Evap can should be readily available, and doesn't change the performance one bit. It's a mystery to me why anyone would remove one. Premium gas is gonna be a problem, too. Chalk anoother piece of BAD ADVICE to the Pelican board, home of the all day (and dangerous) valve adjustment procedure. You ask stupid people, you get stupid answers, and the Cap'n gets damn krusty in the presence of stupid. The Cap'n
jrcui
Thanks everyone... crisis averted. I guess DMV and DEQ don't communicate because I walked into my local DMV and registered my teener without having to show an emissions test. Got my plates and ready to cruise.

Aloha,
Vince mueba.gif
Bullet
Lucky you. I got 2 parking tickets on my 914. while it was sitting in front of my house. plates expired in 89. But I found out thursday that I dont have to go to DEQ now that i live in newberg!!!!! Going to get my plates tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.